"The cheap Power Girl joke" in the "Kingdom Come" epilogue - What is it?

From this site talking about the epilogue of the graphic novel “Kingdom Come”.

I can’t put my hands on it right now. What’s the “cheap joke” in the epilogue?

I don’t have it in front of me, but I think the joke is that the Power Girl sandwich in the superhero restaurant is a big breast (of chicken).

BraheSilver got it in one.

Scene: Clark Kent, Diana, and Bruce Wayne are at Planet Krypton, about to order lunch. Their waitress is a short-cropped teen girl with blonde hair, dressed as Robin (aka Carrie from The Dark Knight Returns)–

Waitress: Hi. I’m Robin.
Bruce: Of COURSE you are.
Waitress: Are you ready to order?
Bruce: What do you recommend?
Waitress: Today’s special is the Power Girl chicken sandwich.
Bruce: The cut…?
Waitress: Breast. I also recommend the Dial “H” for Hoagie…
Diana: I’ll just have the Giant Turtle soup.

The epilogue is a classic, just for all the in-jokes crammed in. I myself love the bit on the last page, where you see several of Alex Ross’ characters lined up at the counter.

For those totally confused:

Power Girl is a superhero. Powers are similar to Superman.

Costume is a white longsleeved leotard, with red gloves and cape. Legs are bare.

Most notably, there is a large circle cut out of the chest of the leotard, for no apparent reason except to allow Power Girl’s considerable cleavage to pooch out…

(and in Kingdom Come, she’s the one who’s about to deck the Reverend Norman McCay aboard the JLA satellite, until Superman stops her).

It’s a bigger in-joke than that. See, back in the… mmm… late 70s, there was a JSA Earth-1 title, All Star Comics. Took place in modern day-ish. Wally Wood (if I remember right) was drawing it, and frankly, he hated the gig. Well, Power Girl is the Earth-1 version of Supergirl. And if you remember the contemporary Supergirl, she wasn’t very chesty at all. So, how’d Power Girl wind up with the rack? Basically, every issue, Wally drew her chest bigger and bigger and bigger, figuring eventually someone would notice and tell him to cut it out.

Nobody cared.

Those stories took place on Earth-2.

Relevant busty image and background

Yeah, right. I always get it backwards. I keep going chronologically, and it’s not that, it’s JLA-1 JSA-2

… :dubious:
:slight_smile:
:smiley:

Trivia worth knowing. :smiley:

If anyone who know about this, I figure you guys would.

I have an autographed copy of Kingdom Come. Not the generic kind, though. Alex and I were friends at one time. Is it worth anything?

What? He defaced it by writing on it?

No, sadly. No. Not worth a thing now. Sorry. But, uh, seeing as how you’re probably not too interested in keeping the thing, howsabout I get the worthless thing from you for, say, a buck fifty-six?

(EVERYBODY ELSE SHADDAP, GODDAMMIT.)

Uh, we can complete this transaction via my private e-mail, and I have a lovely piece of land-spanning apparatus over a river in a New York brorough you might be interested in, to…

I don’t quite understand Askia’s post. It sounds like Askia is insinuating that buying the book for “a buck fifty-six” would be ripping Miss Creant off. Yet, what Askia originally says, about the book being worth nothing because Alex Ross personally signed (“defaced”) it, is true.

On the collector’s marker, the book would be considered worth less than a mint condition unsigned copy. The only way it would be worth anything would be if it was signed and numbered with a certificate of authenticity. How much it’s worth personally, however, is another story.

Anyhoo…

Well, I exaggerate, so it isn’t completely true. Given his stature and popularity, a personally signed mint copy of KINGDOM COME from Alex Ross wouldn’t be worthless, and I’d damn sure get the better deal if I actually conned someone to selling it to me for a $1.56. Thankfully, serious comic book collectors’ standards aren’t the only factors that affect a comic books’ worth.

Consider that I own a pretty grubby copy of Miracleman #15. Most price guides state that it’s only worth ten bucks or so. But suppose I pulled a serious hat trick and got writer Alan Moore, successor writer Neil Gaiman, and publisher Todd McFarlane to sign the cover. At the right venue – say, a comics convention or eBay listing – I’m reasonably sure I can fetch a lot more than 10 bucks for that comic given the scarcity of the issue and the controversy surrounding the Miracleman property rights.

Oh, and Beauty Personified – never puzzle over the (apparent) humor in one of my posts. I write these damn things mostly to amuse myself, y’know.