The Coldfire Pep Rally

Coldfire, I’m curious…

Does your paycheck arrive in Euros, Guilders, free cheese certificates…what?

Do people get paid in Euros now? Do you have a choice?

Please help to minimize a Yank’s ignorance a little.

Oh yeah, good luck tomorrow.

I get paid in Guilders. But as the rates are all fixed now in the Euro-Zone, it wouldn’t matter. If my bank account where a Euro one instead of a Guilders one, my salary would show up in Euro’s. And we don’t get paychecks here, BTW. The money is transferred into our checking accounts every 23rd of the month.

Ah, so accounts can mess up your paycheck without you knowing about it before you can actually get it changed. Just like in my office :rolleyes:

Good luck on Round 2 with the Turk tomorrow. But, if he’s already roasted, doesn’t sound like much of a challenge.

** Coldfire, ** check out the above, it may just ‘hit the spot’ for you, certainly, it usually helps me to go to sleep! :wink:

Dear Mr. Coldfire sir:

Does return on solvency mean what US bankers would call return on equity?

Yes, I’ve been bugged since September by the fact that I am as ignorant on this point as your late lamented Turk; you have made me register to find out.

Your Humble Servant

Humble Servant, your first post, after decades of lurking, is an ACCOUNTING QUESTION?!?!? We’re going to have to work on YOU!

Although you ARE properly obsequious. Especially for a lawyer.

Coldfire, it’s almost 1AM (2AM? I have enough trouble with OUR time zones!) your time. Since I have chatted with you much later than this I can only assume you are still awake. Rectify that situation immediately.

Wow, where did THIS come from :slight_smile:

Nope, H.S., ROS and ROE are two different things. ROS is used in banking, and means:

(expected) proceeds / solvency requirement the Central Bank makes
(In other words: the money they make us put aside {to no benificial use} to counter the financial risk we take - it depends on the risk of the counterparty, and that of the transaction)

ROE is a mostly internally used ratio in business economics, often used as a management tool to evaluate the performance of a project, division, or entire company.

Hope this helps!

I knew you were still up!

Go to bed.

::stares glassily at Coldfire::

Right. Sure. Any dang two-celled swamp dweller understands Return On Solvency as it relates to Turkish tax laws. And can translate it from Dutch–while hungover and sleep starved.

Omigod, am I outclassed around here.

'Scuse me while I slink off.

Totally ignorant about Turkish tax laws,
Veb

Not to worry Vebbie, I’m ignorant when it comes to most things too. Even in my work! But unlike many idjits I work with, I always know how to FIND people that can explain things to me, or even better, DO things for me.

Turkish Tax laws are the last thing I wanna know about :smiley:

And Vebbie? You will NEVER be outclassed. Not on these boards, anyway. And that says a lot.

Oooh, I get it now–in US-speak we might call it a sort-of ‘return on regulatory capital.’ In the US, the Federal Reserve Board and the Comptroller of the Currency, in their beatific bureaucratic vision, mandate ‘Risk-Based Capital Ratios’ which must be met by banks–ratios of ‘good’ and ‘less good’ equity to risk-weighted overall assets. As long as the ratios are met, money doesn’t need to be strictly ‘set-aside,’ although a deal could of course be large enough to affect the ratios, forcing the bank to switch some of its investments to less-risky instruments to fix the ratio problem.

I must say that I initially envisioned the bank getting a return only upon the borrower becoming solvent. :slight_smile:

Mr. dropzone sir: Thank you sincerely for your kind offer of assistance. I look forward with anticipation to your work on me.

Your H.S.

My graduation thesis was on Value At Risk. In it I analysed a few existing systems of measuring counterparty and market risk: by banks, and by regulatory authorities. So I know what you speak of :slight_smile:

And BTW: welcome to the Straight Dope, Humble Servant. Enjoy the ride!

My graduation thesis was on Value At Risk. In it I analysed a few existing systems of measuring counterparty and market risk: by banks, and by regulatory authorities. So I know what you speak of :slight_smile:

And BTW: welcome to the Straight Dope, Humble Servant. Enjoy the ride!

::quiet snoring brought on by the accounting discussion::

Huh? Uh, if yer a female you can start by sending nude photos to Uncle Beer

::falls back asleep::