The Cool Kids in high school, their minions, and real life

When I was in high school… some people seemed to be more popular and more well liked than I was. But I was also very well liked by everyone I knew and got along well with all my peers. Admittedly, some people seemed to revere certain students, which was odd, but I don’t remember anyone being rude to them. Was I a cool person?

In college, everyone had “grown up”, and I don’t recall any minions or cool people or nerds. People were friends with whoever they wanted. Not everyone was friends with everyone else, but that’s how life is. I never felt I wasn’t good enough to be friends with someone or go to the “cool party”, and I don’t know anyone who seemed to. I can’t think of anyone who didn’t have their own amorphous group of friends that they were happy with.

As an post-college adult, I can’t even begin to relate to how my life would possibly fit in the 1980s high school movie social framework. I suspect you ought to get over high school as soon as possible and get on with your life.
Or maybe I’m just still a cool kid. :cool:

Thank you!! This is the type of advice I was looking for. And I can do that.

Any tips on maintaining good work flow with Minions, er, Staff in other departments if the Bosses go to war?

No, I will not have to be mean to the weak. I might end up subbing for the CK in Mean situations because I’ve learned to ‘yell at the symptoms, not the patient’. (In my industry, whenever anyone screws up, you can blame it on inadequate training or a poorly written procedure, and I always do.)

(There is another way to avoid the axe cutting two necks; network with your boss’s enemy’s staff. It improves efficiency, too.)

Who-me, everyone knows that The Cool Kids are not cool (after all, they barf in the punch). You, obviously, were cool, not one of the Cool Kids.

And, yes, AngelicGemma, we really are too old for this.

Um, this thread is not about High School angst; it’s about company politics at higher management levels. As one who now reports to higher management levels, I can tell you it is just like “lunch table politics” in high-school. (Does any high school really have lunch table politics? Mine didn’t. But I digress.)

Except, company politics actually effects important issues, like salary and job security. Weird little power games in the corporate offices will effect Real People.

I was surprised on the number of replies on the need to get past high school, until I reflect on these three posts:

(But thanks for the support, Cluricaun.)

:dubious:

I changed my mind. I think you should take the job, you would be perfect for it. Have a nice the rest of your life, it’s just what you want, need and deserve.:cool:

This may not be the thread for it but it seems the closest to it from what iv searched through. I was searching google looking up what made the "cool"popular kids in HS “popular”. Like, why did we all view “them” as the ones that were popular and “cool” when “they” we kinda rude and not nice most of the time.
The popular kids in my school were the same kids who dressed well, typically came from money and were the smart ones,the ones on the sports teams, cheer teams home coming king and queens. Although all of those things a great and ultimately lead to a good and successful life, those kids were rude and mean to the others. It is true. Its not just over exaggeration. Teachers viewed them as higher up and so did the rest of the world including my self. I am not sure what it was about them though that made me look at them in that way. I guess we viewed them as the popular ones because they were at the top in all those ways plus most were good looking and dressed well due mostly to coming from money. I was not part of that group, I was I guess “back round” as we say. Always nice to everyone and would die if I thought I hurt someone’s feelings. I sometime wonder if it is our own view of ourselves that automatically put us in the category we were in. Other times I think its just about how you dress and look. To this day I don’t really know. This thread shows me im not the only one that still thinks of this crap.
I dug this one up from its grave huh? lol.

Yes, I know, Zombie, who cares.

This, this is something to learn as early in life as you can. A few months ago I was talking to my aunt and her high school daughter. They were complaining about one of the other kids in the school who ‘gets away with murder’. They’ve caught her cheating on her homework a bunch of times and turned her into the teacher but she just uses a sob story to get out of it. I told them to not worry about it, it’s not like it hurts her (my cousin), besides, if she’s cheating on her homework, she’ll get nailed on the test, right? Nope, she’s cute and flirty, and she uses her sob stories to convince the teacher(s) to let her take the tests at home. And, no, they know it doesn’t hurt them, but it’s BS and not fair. This goes back and forth for a little while and I finally say “Well, then consider it a life lesson, some people just skate through life, it’s not fair but it happens”. I have a “hot friend” that should have been fired from every job she’s had but hangs on to them for years, she treats her boyfriends like crap, but they stay with her for at least a year before running for the hills, I doubt she’s paid rent in the last 10 years. She’s 40 and her looks aren’t even sort of fading and she’s showing no signs of slowing down. For some people life just treats them well (because they’re hot (and slutty). If she’s smart, at some point she’ll marry someone with money and treat him well so he doesn’t leave her.
So, yeah, just like in high school when some kids managed to get get away with anything, IRL some people will just get through life without really trying. Don’t point to them and say that life isn’t fair. I mean, life isn’t, but they’re the anomalies.

[quote=“Joey_P, post:26, topic:476661”]

Yes, I know, Zombie, who cares.

QUOTE]

Am I the “Zomie” for digging up or de railing this old thread or did that have nothing to do with me?
I only derailed this thread because it is 5 years old and the OP has by now made his decision. I just wanted to see if I could get others thoughts on the 2nd hand topic here. I know its bad forum manners. Sorry

Wow, five years. It’s interesting this thread should be resurrected now, as I have recently realized I have to move on again.

Two jobs. Significantly improved salary. And an even worse environment. Sometimes I think “sociopathy” must be listed under qualifications for every position above manager in this company.

What makes The Cool Kids the Cool Kids? I’ve never known exactly, some magical combination of looks, charms, and connections - but what does it matter, really? They exist and they run things and the rest of us learn to work for, with, and often around them.

If you are lucky, the Favored Few in your life are not malicious or overly arrogant; they are smart enough to recognize your skills and confident enough to use you rather than compete with you. And you are smart enough to ride their wake rather than compete with them.

Our real goal is to create the job we want within the framework of the position we were hired for. I was pretty successful at that for five years. Working for the successful, the potential star, the Cool Kid(s) has definite benefits, as long as things go well for them; avoiding being crushed in the rock slide when things go south is another matter. I think I will be okay. (I know my bosses will.)

I expect my next job will be in a quiet but well-paid back-water. That is a very good thing.

[quote=“suppavillin, post:27, topic:476661”]

“zombie threads” are really old threads. That’s all.

I think it balances out over time. Some of the “cool kids” use that to get places in life (upwards). Some don’t know what to do with it and just sort of spend their life moving sideways, some don’t use it at all and just progress through life like anyone else.
1)I know 1 ‘cool kid’ that went on to get her masters, travel the world and now is teaching Spanish to kids. A few others that became MD’s. To the best of my knowledge, none of those fields take ‘coolness’ into account.
2)Said ‘hot girl’ from above, moved ‘sideways’ through life. She’s been everything from what you would call a ‘medical assistant’ to a waitress. As long as she can keep using her looks to hang on to a guy and a job, she’s happy as can be. In between she always lands on her feet (no pun intended). She’ll do fine.
3)I have a lot of acquaintances that are drug reps. That’s a field that requires quite a bit of looks/coolness/suave/etc. I’m willing to bet most of those people were the cool kids in high school and now they’re getting paid for it.

So, yes, some cool kids run things, but usually not because they’re cool, it’s because they’re smart and hardworking. The ones that get jobs because they’re cool are the ones that work with or for you…IME.

Yea, most of the popular kids I went to school with all went to great schools and traveled and now have great jobs and are living life at the top the same as they did in HS. Its great for them and I have nothing against it and actually sometimes wish I was in their shoes. It just kinda stinks sometimes knowing they had a slight advantage at the start being born into an educated family with money and good looking from their hot mom marrying there rich(good or bad looking) dad. I mean, there family worked for that but still, having successful parents helps from being cool in school to making money in the end having a good life. I wasn’t born into anything great, no excuse, but I could have used the slight advantage. Im not bad looking but never had the money for the “in” clothes and was inward from low self esteem from things at home, I was on sports teams but didn’t continue because of low confidence. Im not crying saying poor me I was robbed at all. I’m just saying everyone likes a head start and some need it.

Few minutes after reading this thread I researched more and I found that only 20% of students are those “cool kids” and 50% are regular joes and another 30% are actually hated or ignored. Plus, a lot of people that actually were popular “cool” kids did not see it that way in retrospect. That info was from a study done on this topic. So for all we know, some kids considered us cool kids, we may have just never thought that way about our selves because there is always someone "cooler. The study concluded saying, NOBODY goes through unscathed."So being an average joe is never a bad thing I guess.

OP, I hope you find your self in a position one day that you are happy in, sounds like you have the education and brains to do it. I just chimed in here because I couldn’t help but to comment about the “popular kid thing” its something I always thought about.

We never had the type of cliques everyone complains about. It helped that we were a small class (about 120), but the cliches don’t work when, for instance, the cheerleaders included the valedictorian of our class (and the valedictorian of the class behind us) plus a couple of other National Honor Society members.

The captain of the basketball team (we didn’t have football – our coach thought it was poor exercise; our fall sport was soccer) was also in the National Honor Society

We also had coaches who would give you hell if they caught you saying anything demeaning about anyone else in gym class (let alone allow bullying).

Were there “cool kids”? Sure, but they never went around forming cliques as described. They got no special treatment by the school and generally were together simply due to affinity, not because there was a “cool kids” group.

As I got older, I rarely saw this type of behavior. People tended to hang together due to their jobs being similar. I have seen it, but my response is to just ignore it.

I’m not worried-and I had an epiphany late in high school in point of fact, when I idly mused out loud, “WHY should I worry about what these bozos think of me?” And I instantly stopped worrying, forevermore.

In any event I’ll have my revenge in 6 years for my 40th HS reunion, when they get one look at my ridiculously youthful appearance and shining countenance (yes, I am now world’s removed from the lost and troubled loner that I once was…), and wonder what I’ve been doing which is so right…

Seems to me that every faction had their own set of “cool kids”. There were the “smart kids”, but not all of those were “cool”. Only a subset of them were. The same with the “jocks”. The same with the drama kids and the band kids and the orchestra kids. If there had been a “council of cool kids”, even clique would have evenly been represented. Except for maybe the special education kids.

At least, that’s how my memory has it.

Now, it does seem to me that “coolness” wasn’t ALL about personality. The cool kids did seem to have advantages in the money and looks department. But they also seemed to be the ones who were the best at whatever they were doing. So the smart “cool” kids were the ones winning essay contests. The “cool” jocks were team captains. The “cool” music kids were section leaders and had solos at concerts.

So it totally makes sense that cool kids would be in management as adults.

In my experience, the cool kids were never bullies. They did live in their own world, but all the really popular kids were the nicest people around. It made me sick. :stuck_out_tongue:
the wannabees haning on were usually the jerks. Their misdeeds were their own, not on the orders of their betters.

In my adult life I’ve noticed that in offices where there are a lot of women there are more problems with cliques and popular vs. unpopular.

I went to an all girls high school and it was ridiculous, the cliques ruled and subtle bullying was the norm. One of my teachers in H.S. was a past student and she would always single me out in class and make rude comments because I was not part of the popular crowd. I have no doubt that while most people grow out of forming cliques and looking down on others, some do not because that is all they know.

I realize this is a six-year-old post, but of course it’s exaggerated. Some are telling it exactly like it happened, but for the average kid who was bullied, dial down whatever they claim happened by about 90% and then you’ll end up with what actually happened.

The thread reminded me of the Terry Pratchett quote:

“The Monks of Cool, whose tiny and exclusive monastery is hidden in a really cool and laid-back valley in the lower Ramtops, have a passing-out test for a novice. He is taken into a room full of all types of clothing and asked: Yo, my son, which of these is the most stylish thing to wear? And the correct answer is: Hey, whatever I select.”

suppavillin, thank you, but I have been quite happy at work these years, about 80% of the time. I never did learn to play the game right, but there was always someone who saw what I could do, and let me get on with it. I have learned my most effective tactic in Office Games - work for a person who is good at them.

And I don’t worry too much about people who have had more advantages than I have. I have seen several people who started with less go a lot further. Good for them. We all decide what is important to us; they and I made different choices, and I am satisfied and happy where I am, and I hope they are, too.

[Unfortunately, there seems to have been a power struggle a few levels up the food chain and the head of my group lost. A pity, really. S/he may have been just another sociopath, but s/he wanted to take us in the right direction. But sharks will be sharks, and this is what happens when a drop of blood hits the water.]

Joey P, drug reps do epitomize The Cool Kids, don’t they?