The cow said moo, and the goat said...

I’m writing a children’s story, during the course of which a number of farm animals will moo, baa, cluck, and…well, there’s a goat in the story. I always thought the classic “sound” (at least in English, I know they vary in other languages) for a goat was “naa”. However, as an adult, I usually see it written as “maa”.

What do you think?

Goats bleat.

Meh.

What does the fox say?

I’d vote with you: “Naa” with an “N.” But this is likely highly regional, and may even be something that’s changed since we were kids (did you hear about Pluto and the Brontosaurus?)

“Hiss”, or a little barky “yelp,” as the idiot songwriters could have discovered by ten seconds on YouTube or actually visiting a zoo.

I was going to say “meh” too.

The Goat said–

*Ob-*viously.

Maa.

The horse says, “Doctorate denied.”

“don’t sacrifice me, bro”

Baaaa.

Yes, I know, the sheep say that too - but with a different intonation.

Maa.

Slyyyy.

Maa… According to every other children’s book with animals.

The goat says: “Wait until my brother comes, he’s much bigger and juicier than I am.”

And the cat said fiddle-dee-dee…

“Yo, I’m a goat”

I have a two year old daughter, we have about 100 books about farm animal sounds. I would say it’s about a 60/40 split between “ma-a-a-h” and “na-a-a-h” sounds. They also vary between maa/mah and naa/nah spellings.

I would say it’s the least consistent farm animal sound. The all- time winner, though, for domesticated animals as represented in books for kids, is the dog – we’ve got books with arf, ruff, woof, and bow-wow.

Mah-nah-mah-nah, doot doot doo doo doo,
Mah-nah-mah-nah, doot doot doot doo…