The Days of Whine and Charoses: Let's talk Passover

It’s rapidly approaching. So far, I’ve not been invited to my Aunt’s house. This is a first, in 43 years and makes me feel badly. Then again, she’s had issues for years. Ahh well.

Let’s share our favorite Passover story. I’ll start.

My brother and two male cousins comprise this generation of kids in our extended family. So, it would be we four attempting to get the Afikomen. One year, my Uncle ransomed it off as is the tradition, and handed each of us a thick pile of very large, old looking bills. We were a bit put off, since these clearly were not US dollars.

He’d paid the ransom with 10,000 Deutschmark notes, from before WWII. They had been taken out of Germany along with other stuff, the notes had been used to line winter coats. ( yes, they really were that worthless. He told us that a wheelbarrow full bought a loaf of bread ).

At the time, I thought it was silly. He did give us each some US $ as well. Now? The two notes I have here are priceless to me, a tangible and sad connection with the deep depression in Germany that fomented such desperation that the Third Reich was able to rise up.

It also is a fun memory- he knew he was messing with our heads- and what kid isn’t slightly frenzied ANYWAY when ransoming off that particular bit of matzoh? A memory both sweet and sad- to me, the perfect Passover image.

Cartooniverse

Hm.

I’m going to have to go with the time my brother and I hid the Afikomen under “some magazines” that were under my uncle’s bed, and they turned out to be his Playboy collection!!

LOL!

Favorite Passover memory?

Well Passover is my favorite Jewish Holiday. My dad, would read the Hebrew very fast and tell the Passover story-

One year he said “The Israelites had to leave Egypt with the unleavened dough in their packs and Manaechevitz brownie mixes”. The only time my parents bought such chazerei was during Passover (those mixes) when technically we should not be having anything like that!

I thought he was very funny.

I ran my first seder last year for my family and extended family and my father keeps telling me it was the best seder ever.

My parents were both in concentration camps, so the Passover story has always felt close to home.

As they say, “The tried to kill us, they failed, let’s eat!”