The Deecline of Literate Thought

I would like to submit this for discussion:

http://www.nas.org/articles/the_decline_of_literate_thought

If the thread title doesn’t invoke Gaudere’s Law, it at least invokes Alanis Morissette. :smack::stuck_out_tongue:

Reported both for forum appropriateness (if it was acceptable it seems to me GD would be much more appropriate) AND lack of content other than a link.

Any saying anything by Victor Davis Hanson is excellent is a twit. So there’s that.
Our professor friend has clearly never heard of student debt. In his universe all students are either rich or plentifully supplied with scholarship money. Yeah, right.
He condemns electronics, but if Umberto had deigned to Google their proposed product name it might have come out better for them.
One wonders where this guy teaches, and who his students are. Are they literature majors preparing for a life of poverty, or are they majoring in something else forced to take his class.
And finally, if every single one of his students is bored and uninterested in the material he presents, the problem may not be with them.

Course in my day we all read Proust by 8 and tossed off Ulysses during Christmas break in fifth grade.

Moderator Action

Since there’s basically no comment at all here other than the link, it’s not clear if this is something that would be better suited to MPSIMS, or if you want to poll for opinions, in which case the appropriate forum would be IMHO, or if there’s some sort of debate you wish to engage in, in which case the appropriate forum would be GD. Whatever the intent, it’s not appropriate for General Questions, since this forum is for questions with factual answers.

Please do not just post links. If it is interesting enough to discuss it should be interesting enough for you to post your own thoughts about it. Feel free to start a more descriptive thread with more appropriate commentary indicating the thread’s purpose in the appropriate forum.

Thread closed.