The economics of Hitch (the movie)

So what would Hitch’s fee structure look like. It’s 2005, NYC, around 30y/o? He has a great apartment, two floors (stairs go up but we don’t see where to, but presumably a bedroom). He’s doing really well for himself, and let’s assume he didn’t inherit anything.

So how much does he charge? How many customers does he have per year? Does he charge per hour? Does he have a success bonus? Payable upon what event?

Depends on how much work he has to go through for each client. He’s clearly not a budget matchmaker. I could easily see people ponying up $5,000 or even $10,000 for his services. Then assume a week or two for him to hook you up with your secret love. (Actually, I would structure that as $5,000 up front, $5,000 if successful).

at $5k a pop, 2 weeks per, that’s $125k per year… no so much in manhattan. But, at $10k per, one per week (presumably he could overlap clients if he really had to), that’s half a million a year - very doable. Even if you cut that in half, for slow times and failures to hook someone up, I could see him living his lifestyle on a quarter million a year.

Apparently $25k is not out of the question…

Although if memory serves Kevin James’ character wasn’t likely to have an extra 25k laying around.

I think the more likely answer is that it seems that people in TV/movies often have awesome apartments - I mean I get that Frasier could afford his place (not in NYC of course too), but the people on friends? Wasn’t as nice as Frasiers, but seemed pretty nice for New York if I remember.

I believe for Friends, they explained Monica’s apartment as being rent-controlled, and actually owned by her grandmother. Joey was a highly successful actor and still had a roommate. Ross was a professor, which doesn’t pay peanuts. As much hate as the show gets, they at least had a plausible explanation for the apartments.

Fair enough - I didn’t watch that much of it - glad to see they at least tried to address it :slight_smile:

I was under the impression Joey was a struggling actor - I guess I didn’t watch enough. I was only thinking of Monica’s apartment for some reason though.

I know someone who had a rent controlled apartment in manhattan - it was a very, very, very, very small apartment with a shower in the kitchen - and it did involve a grandparent. But it was only $400 I think. Can’t beat that. So I guess the Monica thing does make some sense.

Joey was a struggling actor for most of the show’s run. But during that time, he was roommates with Chandler, who was a very successful mid-level executive at some generic company.

Joey was a successful soap opera actor in the early season(s) - Joey/Chandler had lived together for some time - then there was the soap incident (“is soap self cleaning”) and Joey moved out to a very nice apartment and Chandler looked for a new roommate. (“thats a goldfish cracker!”)

Joey only became a struggling actor after he dissed the writers, and then fell down an elevator shaft and suffered a brain injury that, in a fit or irony, only his character had the skill to fix.

(why do I remember this stuff?)

It all depends how to count. Joey was only on Days of Our Lives for a few episodes in the second season. He’s actually fired before the end of the season.

According to Wikipedia, he doesn’t rejoin the soap opera until the 7th season.