The FINAL mmm-song poll for 2000s songs

There have been 2,281 songs submitted over multiple polls to determine the SDMB favorite 2000s song. These are our five finalists. You may select just one.

• Hey Ya! – Outkast
  • Lose Yourself – Eminem
  • Rehab – Amy Winehouse
  • Seven Nation Army – The White Stripes
  • Uptown Funk – Mark Ronson ft. Bruno Mars
0 voters

Well it comes down to Detroit vs Detroit for me, Eminem vs the White Stripes.

But the final vote goes to Seven Nation Army because this song has woven itself into the fabric of Western culture like no other song has in the past 25, maybe 50, years. That riff has grown larger than the Jack White. People who have never heard of the White Stripes know that riff. That riff echos at sporting events around the world. All hail that riff! Plus it’s just a really cool song with an even cooler video.

Thanks for putting this together, @Mean_Mr.Mustard!

“Hey Ya!” is the only one of the five that I did not give serious consideration to, it just never did much for me.

The other four, though, damn. I can make a case (in my own mind) for each of them.

I went with “Seven Nation Army” because I think it is so perfect a song*.

mmm

*(so is “Lose Yourself”, but the jerk running the poll is only giving us one vote)

You’ve inspired me. I have never heard of this song at all and don’t know what riff you are referencing. I have to check it out.

I voted Eminem since I think it was a really big song.

You may have heard it without realizing it. If you’ve been to or watched a sporting event in the past decade, it’s become a regular thing, either played on the PA system or chanted by the crowd, or both.

Michigan vs. Notre Dame at the Big House.

That goes for the Eminem song, too. I pulled up the video and with the first note I said “Oh, this! I thought it was titled One Shot!”

Tough choice between Lose Yourself and Rehab. They are both intensely-told stories of personal struggle. In the end, the depth and pathos of Amy Winehouse’s voice made it the winner for me, although it’s not even my favorite AW song (that would be Tears Dry on Their Own).

Thanks for organizing.

Never heard it and I am a U of M graduate and watch sports. I think I’m just that clueless. I’m listening to the song and I have never heard a single note of it.

I really like “Hey Ya”, but compared to the other four songs, it’s fluff.

Oh, good to see Hey Ya! make it. I remembered this post of mine from 2004 and I feel a little vindicated:

from: The song "Hey Ya" can officially suck my dick - #108 by pulykamell

While I didn’t vote for it in this poll, because, man, it’s hard to beat the pump-up song of all pump-up songs, it would have been my #2. It’s still a fantastic tune. (And my Gen Alpha kids, do, in fact, at least know it if not actively listen to it.)

:+1: Great prophecy. But now I feel old to realize that this was 20 fucking years ago, while I still mentally file it under “new song”…

Yeah, I thought the same. 20 years? I know I’ve said similar about Lady Gaga when there was a bunch of hating on her here. Now her, my kids actively put on from time to time.

Yeah, but Gaga is still active, while Outkast as a duo are long over, aren’t they?

I think that’s right. The Gaga thread was something about how she was just another pop flash in the pan, which she clearly wasn’t. I’m just stroking my ego that I got those two right, because my taste in pop is often idiosyncratic. But those two were just so obviously timeless to me.

I remember seeing her German debut in 2008 with “Poker Face” in the TV show “Schlag den Raab”, and I also thought “Meh, some other pop starlet, will probably become a one hit wonder”. But her follow up songs and her whole personality convinced me soon that she had substance.

I definitely thought Gaga was just a brief surge of success and fame and would show up on nostalgia shows later.

No, turns out she is persistently popular. Good for her.

Lady Gaga also seems to be quite a nice person. Which is nice.

Funny - I would have said the same about “Uptown Funk”. But I have no qualms about any of the five “winning”.

I understand where you’re coming from, but I really can’t call such hard and sharp funk “fluff”.

Well congrats to Slim Shady for putting it the best song of the past quarter century. I really can’t argue with the end result here.

Thank you to @Mean_Mr.Mustard for going through all the hard work of putting these polls together!