mmm-Songs Pre-Poll to Determine the Finalists for Final 2000s Songs Poll

This poll will determine our 5 finalists for our favorite 2000s song. This list contains the winner of each individual poll plus an additional 7 wild card songs (These 7 songs received 8 or more votes in their final polls but did not place first in those polls).
You may select up to 5.

• 8 Mile - Eminem
  • Alexander Hamilton – Cast of Hamilton
  • Bad Romance – Lady Gaga
  • Clint Eastwood - Gorillaz
  • Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground – The White Stripes
  • Ex’s & Oh’s – Elle King
  • Feel Good Inc. – Gorillaz ft. De La Soul
  • Fell in Love with a Girl – The White Stripes
  • Forget You – CeLo Green
  • Gangnam Style – Psy
  • Get Lucky – Daft Punk ft. Pharrell Williams
  • Hey Ya! - Outkast
  • I’m Just Ken – Cast of Barbie
  • Just Give Me a Reason - Pink
  • Knives Out - Radiohead
  • Lose Yourself - Eminem
  • Mr. Brightside – The Killers
  • No Roots – Alice Merton
  • Oops!..I Did It Again – Britney Spears
  • Poker Face – Lady Gaga
  • Pumped Up Kicks – Foster the People
  • Question…? – Taylor Swift
  • Real Slim Shady, The – Eminem
  • Rehab – Amy Winehouse
  • Seven Nation Army – The White Stripes
  • Take Me Out – Franz Ferdinand
  • This is America – Childish Gambino
  • Umbrella – Rihanna ft. Jay Z
  • Uptown Funk – Mark Ronson ft. Bruno Mars
  • Vampire – Olivia Rodrigo
  • We Are Young – Fun. Ft. Janelle Monáe
  • X Gon’ Give It To Ya – DMX
  • You Know I’m No Good – Amy Winehouse
  • Zero – Yeah Yeah Yeahs
0 voters

Hmmm. That was pleasingly difficult.

j

I punched the button for the first four pretty quickly, but choosing the final song was hard. Came down to Uptown Funk, We Are Young and You Know I’m No Good. Went with Winehouse.

So out of the top 34 we’ve got:

Eminem - 3 songs
The White Stripes - 3 songs
Amy Winehouse - 2 songs
Gorillaz - 2 songs
Lady Gaga - 2 songs

I guess we know what we like and we stick with it.

Ehhh, they’re all major label artists, with plenty of marketing behind them. I’m really kind of proud of us for not being plagued with a bunch of Taylor Swift songs.

And even though I didn’t vote for it in this poll, I would like to note that OutKast is still pretty universally accepted.

Was a little surprised at the lack of Taylor Swift (1) and Beyonce (0) songs considering their dominance in both the charts and awards.

FYI, these are our wild card entries:

• Feel Good Inc. – Gorillaz ft. De La Soul
• Forget You – CeLo Green
• Gangnam Style – Psy
• Pumped Up Kicks – Foster the People
• Real Slim Shady, The – Eminem
• This is America – Childish Gambino
• Umbrella – Rihanna ft. Jay Z

mmm

Agreed. Lots of good ones, and no truly objectionable ones.

This is the only one of the 2000s polls I participated in, because it’s the only one I know almost all songs from. I’m not that removed from modern pop music, but somehow lost my ability to remember song titles and artist/band names after 2000. I blame it on the fact that radio djs don’t mention song titles any more and that when I’m listening to new music these days, I listen to albums via streaming but don’t care much about checking out the song titles, while in the days of LPs and CDs, I used to study liner notes religiously. I’m sure I also knew a lot of songs in the individual polls that I didn’t recognize from just the titles, but I just didn’t have the time and dedication to listen to hundreds of probably unknown songs, so I wasn’t competent to vote.

And in a fit of national pride, I’m happy to see that “No Roots” made the pre-final and is doing well in the poll. When I first heard it on my car radio, I thought “Damn, that’s a cool modern pop song for a change”, which rarely happens these days, and was even more stunned when I learned that it was a German production. I never heard a follow-up though, it seems to have become a one-hit wonder.

I’m happy to see “No Roots” doing so well. I first heard it several years ago and loved it at first listen.

Checking AllMusic, I see has released two LPs, in 2019 and 2022 (“Roots” is from 2017). So it’s been less than two years since her last album, I presume she will release more music at some point.

mmm

nm

Yeah, I read Alice Merton’s wiki page after I posted, and she’s still very active and only 30 years old (she was 22 when “No Roots” came out). Sadly, no other song charted, but she’s still young enough to have more hits. I have to check out her albums.

Why So Serious – Alice Merton (2018)

Not a bad top 5, all in all.

Thanks! Yes, I remember that song.

This was just the pre-poll.

Final poll is here.

mmm