The mmm songs also-ran poll. Here’s your chance to get your forgotten songs some votes. Please see the RULES in the OP {POLLS ADDED}

(From a suggestion by @Moonrise)

Now that all the polls are posted (except for the Grandaddy of all Song Polls, which will commence later this week), let us take this opportunity to vote for our most glaring omissions.

RULES:

• You may submit up to 5 songs that were criminally overlooked and omitted in the mmm-songs polls. This list will be capped at 200 entries and polls will ensue, ending with a final poll to determine the also-ran champion.

• I strongly encourage you to perform a search for each of your entries to avoid disqualification. You can search for the tag “mmm-song-poll” to find the proper polls to search.

• DIFFERENT THIS TIME : Feel free to post title suggestions or comments on alternative titles. Some folks may need some suggestions. HINT : If you’re at a loss, several of the individual lettered threads have overlooked titles toward the end of the threads.

• If you edit your already-posted entry to make a change, I may not see it. Please do not edit your posted list or re-post your entire list – this gets confusing - just add a new post with changes or additions only. EXAMPLE: Remove “California Girls” and add “The Christmas Shoes.”

• You are allowed to make changes to your entries up until the time that the first polls are posted.

• You must include the artist (not the composer, unless they are the same person) or your submission will not be counted.

• Polls will appear in this thread once submissions begin to wind down.

• Classical releases are excluded.

• Final poll, also in this thread, will narrow the field to 10-ish.

• Thanks for playing, and hey…let’s be careful out there!

mmm

These probably aren’t the most glaring omissions of all, it’s virtually impossible to determine them given the vast data you’d have to manually process from all these threads, but I took some songs from my lists that didn’t make the polls that I think are worth mentioning:

Around And Around - Chuck Berry

Tumbling Dice - The Rolling Stones

It’s Only Natural - Crowded House

Waitin’ For The Bus - ZZ Top

Racing In The Streets - Bruce Springsteen

Ask the Angels – Patti Smith

At the Zoo – Simon & Garfunkel

Old Man – Neil Young

Taxman – The Beatles

Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out – Bruce Springsteen

What the hell! Here’s some I listen to obsessively (or have, in the past), mostly obscure.

Train Kept a Rollin’ – Imelda May
Shura No Hana (Flower of Carnage) – Meiko Kaji
Cornwall My Home – The Fisherman’s Friends (ft. Imelda May)
Du Hast - Rammstein
Golden Rocket – Alice Stuart & Snake

the Chicken - Jaco Pastorius big band.

Rock the Casbah - The Clash

Aguas de Marco - Elis Regina

Find the River - R.E.M.

Johnny Too Bad - The Slickers

Insensatez - Tom Jobim

I was thinking we should have a round like this. But not also-rans. Wild Cards. Songs that get into the playoffs along with the champions (and sometimes wild cards win out).

I’ve also been thinking that @Mean_Mr.Mustard should, as the originator of this series, have his own CFP selections. As in the College Football Playoffs committee selections, mmm should be allowed to select an additional 5 entries in the final “song of songs” polling (as long as at least one is from the SEC :nerd_face:).

The biggest omission I can recall was
Strawberry Fields Forever - The Beatles

:scream: That must be the winner, I can hardly believe it. The S thread was one of the earliest letters in which I didn’t participate yet, else I would have kicked myself if I also hadn’t nominated it.

Explain what you are thinking. Do you mean every song that made its way into a final poll but did not win? Or a poll of all the second-place finishers in the final polls?

Thanks for that. I suspect that we all may get another 5 or so entries, depending on how many folks can come up with additional tunes.

Wow, I did not even realize this.

mmm

La Vida es un Carnaval - Celia Cruz - absolute classic of musica latina, I pit myself for not mentioning it
Emmene-moi Perle Lama - my favorite zouk song
Sweet Mother - Prince Nico Mbarga - Africa’s favorite song
Voodoo Child - Stevie Ray Vaughn The Hendrix version was mentioned, but the SRV version is good too

No, I was thinking those left out of the polls (the :man_facepalming: ones) would be voted on in a thread like this and included in a fina poll.

I was also thinking that the final poll would be the top three from each letters final poll plus the top three from a wild cards poll, plus some others to end up with about 100 entries for a “vote for ten” set of polls then a final 10 poll.

But that’s me. It’s your circus, we’re just the monkeys!

Ah, I see. The trouble is that I don’t think we started doing the :man_facepalming: lists until we were well underway with the project.

mmm

Well, you’re going to be doing this every year, right?

Oh, but you did participate: post 18. And you may also miss “Straight to Hell”, by the Clash, and perhaps even “Super Trouper”, by ABBA, both of which I hereby nominate.
And Strawberry Fields Forever, if I am not mistaken, was nominated by Baal_Houtam in post 77. But it does not show up in the poll.

Imgur

:grin: That’s what I was going for.

Just shows what has become of my memory… :grin:

ETA: and yeah, “Straight To Hell” and “Super Trouper” are excellent choices.

The Door Into Summer - Monkees
People Got A Lotta Nerve - Neko Case
The Lodger - Peter Frampton
A Night On The Town (With Snow White) - Crack The Sky
The King Will Come - Wishbone Ash

For Reference