The Gender of Political Correctness.

I worry about both male and female youngsters. I want things to be equal for them, as well as us.

But women also have a laundry list of such advantages over men. Don’t they?

The lists are different, to be sure.

Sorry I was so hard on ya. I didn’t know it was your video.

Thank you for pointing out that my presentation skills need more work on.

Not sure, but I would try to experiment – make a few test audio runs, and listen to them to check the quality; if the quality isn’t good then consider different equipment (microphone and the like), or consider a different program.

Thank you – a third of the blame is on my internship adviser who overloads me with work.

1- The quality of audio, documentation and presentation is “bad” but it is also being criticized because the topic is unpopular.

2- While it is more or less true, in general terms, that men are now the but of jokes on sit coms… a the end of the day it equals one big, so what? Men get to run 99% of everything on the planet.

3- Don’t fall for MRA websites and books that you have modeled your video/position on. I try to say this in the nicest way possible. MRA preys on frustrated/lonely men. Do not be sucked into fighting their fight for them. They do not care about you. They only care about (1) more YouTube hits (2)selling books or tickets to seminars.

And probably a girl, too.

That is Simple Political Incorrectness.

I understand that I should work on my speaking skills.

I do not know if it is good to give up my views for the sake of fitting into society. Different societies have different views.

We do not know what values would society have in 50 years.

Not nearly as many, and not nearly to the same extent. Because I am male, I was born on an easier difficulty setting, by a wide margin.

I won’t bother looking at the video based on the reviews so far. There is a double standard, and not one justified by the proponents of PC because it’s the same double standard that the PC crowd says they want to eliminate. It’s just more evidence that PC isn’t what it says it is, it’s just more of the same old.

Look, here’s the Straight Dope on Political Correctness.

It’s *easier *to believe that “PC” is an entity, isn’t it?

Double standards abound everywhere. Anyone who denies this is ignorant or stupid, but it’s just plain silly to suggest they’re ignorant or silly because they’re part of some super-sekrit PC cabal.

I’ll take a swing at an honest, impartial response…

As a man, it does register with me that men are starting to be portrayed in a negative light. I do see a general trend towards men being represented as naive, unaware, not good parents, etc. There are a lot of unfair biases against men in the media.

I think that men are getting a small taste of what it used to be to grow up as a female. The condescending pat on the head type stuff. “That’s cute. The girl thinks she knows politics.”

That said, I think we are only getting a fraction of what was once lobbed at women. I also think that because men are so advantaged in our society in terms of opportunities, the unfair labeling doesn’t carry as much of an effect. Years ago women were treated as inferior AND they were not given the same opportunities in careers, politics, and household matters.

Men are treated in many circles as a little more oafish now. However, there is no stigma against us in terms of voting, careers (excluding a few choices), or domestic decisions. It hasn’t reached a point that my wife’s friends would say “You LET your husband have input on that???!?”

So to sum it up - yes, men do get cast unfairly a bit. However, complaining about that would be akin to making an honest claim that being white is unfair because you’re at risk for getting a sunburn. But, on the flip side, stating that other groups have/had it worse is a terrible argument to take.

In a perfect world, all this stuff would be resolved. Don’t discount something just because other bad things are happening as well. Something something… don’t make a right.

Shouldn’t the equal treatment of everyone be applied to all?

We teach our kids to not tear down others to prop yourself (or another group) up but when topics like this one come up we have the defenders of the people tearing others down.

I really don’t see it. You should aspire to treat every one equally regardless of what historical advantages one got in the past. Raise the other group up. You don’t need to tear down someone else.

CCitizen, write a well thought out paper and post it if you want a discussion of your views.

Video takes too long to listen to compared to reading, and is linear, rather than permitting one to easily review and move about.

Beyond this, your garbled audio over a static video bibliography is, to put it politely . . . well it is so very bad that there is no polite expression. For example, watching a bibliography is a waste of time. if you put forward a men’s rights bibliography, I can put forward a feminist bibliography, which really accomplishes nothing as far as a message board discussion goes.

As far as the substantive issue of gender bias goes, two wrongs don’t make a right. Since you seem to be interested in how men are treated, instead of going down the double standard path as you did, stick to the topic: how men are treated. The more you press on double standards, the more you risk getting into a battle of the sexes and crashing off track, and the more you risk alienating people who otherwise might be receptive to your points on equality issues by virtue of them having already having consider such or similar issues from a feminist position.

Seeing that this is The Straight Dope and especially GD let’s fight some ignorance. As an experiment for the next six months any time you interact with your boy don’t use his name or even refer to him as a him and only refer to him or call him a child molester. Then get back to us about his self esteem. If he is a young tyke first explain to him what a child molester is and how awful being one is and that it destroys some childrens lives.

:rolleyes:

Salon as a factual cite?

Really?

At least try man.

Slee