The Genius of Achewood

I’ve said it before, but it deserves its own thread: Achewood by Chris Onstad is the greatest webcomic there is, if not the greatest thing on the internet. I don’t understand why it’s not even more popular than it is.

It’s really not hyperbole to say that it’s genius. Onstad has an absolutely perfect sense of timing, and he understands that it’s not always about hitting the audience over the head with the punchline – sometimes what you don’t say can be even funnier than what you do.

Plus, there’s so much imagination that goes into the series, both with the storylines themselves and with the stuff he does with the format itself. It reminds me a little of Pogo, except that it of course takes more risks. And there’s more types of humor going on – Onstad goes between gutter humor, to black comedy, to earnest and sentimental, to referential humor, to just straight out punch-lines, sometimes all in the same strip.

The basic premise is a strip about Onstad’s stuffed animals and what they do while the humans are out of the house. It evolved over time into focusing on some of the neighborhood cats, the G-string wearing Ray Smuckles and the perpetually depressed computer programmer Roast Beef.

You really need to read the strip long-term to truly appreciate it, so start digging through the archives! But for now, here are some of my favorites:

Phillippe’s Mouth
Pork Chops
The Neatest Person in Heaven
Chucklebot News
Phillippe’s New Shoes
ASS IN YOUR PANTS
Doin’ the Robot
Cathy
Artificial Japanese Liver
Lore Day One
Japanese Interests
Beef and the Hell Phone
Honking Bus, Rusty Bikes
Beef Gets a Shirt from Molly
Baba O’Riley
The Isoceles Lock
Roomba Cinema: The Wrath of Khan
Molly?
Ray is a Goth Bootsy Collins

Preach it, brother!

You may also wish to check out the OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board here.

Now, everybody dance like there’s ass in your pants.

And I forgot one, the free sample from serializer.net is pretty damn funny too.

I first heard about the strip from Lore Sjoberg formerly of The Brunching Shuttlecocks’ website, confirming my suspicion that Lore is a bad-ass. Plus, apparently James Lileks is a fan as well.

Why isn’t this strip more popular, again?

I am now a member.

Dave Barry is also a fan.

Apparently, I missed more than a month’s worth of old ones in there.

Like this one: Allergic to chicken

Cute, but I prefer Sinfest.

Yep, you guessed it, another new favorite strip.

I can’t stop laughing.