The Ghostbusters films and the stupidity of the internet.

Disingenuous OP is disingenuous. Why the new movie is more similar to what people wanted from the 2016 movie is that it’s not a reboot. It’s in the same universe as the first two movies and those same characters existed and some may still be alive, and they’re part of the legacy of the film. This is not that complicated nor hard to believe. People who loved the original movie didn’t want to watch one where it was ignored.

Way to speak for everyone who loved the original movie there.:rolleyes:

So you’re telling me you loved the original movie and preferred a reboot where it never happened? Is that what you’re saying? Because to be frank, I don’t believe you.

I was perfectly happy with the reboot. I don’t have an attachment to the specific fictional timeline of the original movie. Doubting that does seem perfectly in line with what I pointed out, you’re projecting your view onto everyone else.

Ghostbusters never happened in Stranger Things either, it’s just a movie there, but that doesn’t make me not like Stranger Things.

First of all, you didn’t answer my question. Do you love the original or was it just an entertaining movie that doesn’t hold any particular connection for you? Because if it’s not something you connected with then you’re the one who’s projecting.
Second Stranger Things didn’t call itself Ghostbusters the Series, so that point…has no point, nor logic, nor any sort of coherence.

Can you point out where naita claimed to prefer either one?

FTR: I love the original and saw it in a theater; I also watched the 2016 version in a theater. They are what they are.

Actually, she’s making a really solid point. Lots of fictional universes don’t have the original Ghostbusters in them - pretty much all fictional universes, in fact. If you can watch Stranger Things, or Avengers, or Midsomer Mysteries, and not get agita over the fact that Peter Venkman doesn’t exist in that universe, you should be able to watch GB2016, and also not get agita over the fact that Peter Venkman doesn’t exist in that universe.

I thought the 2016 movie was average, 3 out of 5. For me the biggest issue was with the villain. I’d rank the Ghostbusters villains like this. Gozer and company > Vigo >>>> Rowan. I saw the 2016 movie twice and had to look up the villain’s name just now because he was that forgettable. His story is also not nearly as cool as the other two. An ancient Sumerian goddess and a medieval sorcerer from Carpathia are better for this type of movie than a loner who wants to get back at the world because he’s been bullied his whole life.

I’m disingenuous…? I’m GLAD they didn’t make 2016’s movie part of the same universe. Would you really like that is Canon?

You think what YOU want is what everyone else wants, and that’s exactly what I’m talking about in this thread.

No, you were trying to speak for everyone. He was speaking up for the people who disagree with you.

You wrote an OP where you claimed all the people who say they prefer a movie set in the same universe as the original were lying. They can’t really want what they say they want.

Why not? Why do you think people couldn’t possibly prefer that the 2016 movie was in continuity? Fans of a work that has built up an extended continuity often don’t like it when that continuity gets rebooted. Returning to the original continuity rather than continuing the reboot continuity often makes them happier.

I mean, this movie very clearly is not going to be Ghostbusters III. Not only is it set in a completely different town, or show a completely different tone, but none of the original cast was even in the trailer. Unless there’s some sort of secret twist involving them, that heavily suggests that they will get nothing more than a cameo that could have been left out.

And yet people are saying this is all they wanted–that the continuity not be removed. If they can make a movie about the grandkids, they could have easily made GB2016 be about their daughters starting up the old business and mimicking their fathers.

You may be happy GB2016 isn’t in continuity. But not everyone has to agree.

I’m telling you that that when you write “People who loved the original movie didn’t want to watch one where it was ignored.” you are either making yourself the judge of who gets to say they loved the original movie in a No True Scotsman fashion, or you are projecting your preferences unto everyone else.

I loved the original. It is one of my favourite films. I wanted to see the reboot.

Before it existed I had no great desire to see any new version of Ghostbusters, so I can’t really say whether I would have preferred a “30 years after” if given the choice before the all ladies version was announced. But I think I might. I certainly don’t think “Yes! Finally!” when seeing the new trailer.

I see what’s going on. When I said people are saying “this is all I wanted.” I was referring to specifics in the trailer other than the link to the first one. I was trying to say; I doubt anyone had in mind the specifics of the trailer, and thus, couldn’t claim to have wanted it.

I’m aware people want a continuation of the originals last time, but if they reworked the 2016 movie to be in the same universe - because most didn’t like it. Most, not all, would perhaps feel that as being bad.

I blame myself for the miscommunication.

But yes, there are all different ways of looking at this. If there’s other problems with my post, I’m open to listening.

I’m not entirely sure who you think twitter and reddit trolls are if not real people… The internet isn’t some make-believe entity filled with only bots. Trolls might be expressing a fake opinion, but that opinion is being passed around and shared like it’s genuine, which ultimately doesn’t make any difference.

There was a study made earlier this year that showed 2% of the population is responsible for the vast majority of tweets. The opinions expressed on twitter are not the opinions of 98%. It’s an echo chamber. And yet there is article after article about what “people think” that are composed of nothing but random tweets the author happened to like. Twitter is not real life and is given way too much credit for being what everyone thinks.