The Great Ongoing Guitar Thread

Sure, I can do that. Keep me posted, and good luck at Christmas time!

First off, a word about H.E.R. I had never heard of her, until watching SNL the other night. I fell asleep, bored as usual with the skits, but then she came on, and I sat straight up in bed. What a wonderful performance, by all involved in fact.

But on to my question: how do I get this lead guitar tone, best heard starting at 2:55?

Just sounds like bridge pickup + clean boost pedal + into a decent amp + a delay in the effects loop + maybe some reverb. You can get that tone just pushing a deluxe hard and loud with those pedals.

Yeah, squeegee is spot on. Hit a tube amp or even just a tube preamp hard with a boost pedal (just got a similar sound with a Behringer SF300 into an EHX English Muff’n) , and you’re going to get something close to that tone in the solo.

I’m more in love with the fuzz she’s using on the lead doubling her singing, but we all have our fixations. I did a look around for H.E.R.'s guitar setup, but didn’t find anything. If anyone’s got info on what fuzz she uses, I’d like to know.

But I didn’t see any pedal board or pedals, so someone or something else is triggering the effects, which is odd. On the other hand, she’s singing, so something to lower the work load would probably be welcome.

But both performances were pretty great. I’ll have to search out more. That was her signature strat she was playing.

Yeah, if you’re using any pedal with dirt, set the dirt at like 2, the volume >= 8, tone at whatever works. Amp is an all tube amp, probably Fender Deluxe 60’s (that tone sounds 60’s to me, not tweed?), master volume at 10. If there’s a preamp volume, set it lowish, like 3. Fiddle from there and add the delay somehow – hopefully you have an effects loop. Run the guitar at probably just less than full, just enough to cut glass like butter. Wear ear protection.

Yeah, I tried the same thing. Sadly “H.E.R” is treated as “her” in search engines, and her real name brings up nothing relevant.

Let me clarify, there wasn’t really any dirt other than tube OD there. The EHX English Muff’n isn’t really a Muff circuit by any means. It’s basically intended as a Marshall JTM45 preamp pedal in a box, only it’s got a 12AY7 in the first socket, so it’s really more of a Bassman preamp in a box*. Not really a lot of drive in it, but I’ve thought about switching out the first tube more than once. The SF300 was in “boost” mode, where it’s basically a clean/treble boost with (I think) an active 2 band eq which was set flat, not in its Boss FZ-2 Super-Fuzz clone mode.

Since I use the English Muff’n as a (really noisy) preamp to drive a cab simulator at home, it’s output is always maxed, I can control the level through the cab sim and the board. I dialed the output on the SF300 back to about 6 and the input on the Muff’n to about 8 to get something close to that solo tone. I’d been running the same setup earlier today trying something heavier with them both maxed. That’s a different tone, by a bit.

If you don’t have an effects loop (I don’t in that setup, and usually don’t use them), put the boost pedal last, and the delay just before it. An adequate digital delay works well here, because at least it doesn’t contribute to the noise. I used a Boss DD3, and it works great with the right settings.

*I’m not really sure if Marshall copied a Tweed/Brownface/Blackface/Silverface bassman, but with a 12AY7, but this pedal does not add a ton of gain, it’s really for sweetness and a Marshall-ish preamp. I have no idea why EHX marketed it under the “Muff” name.

ETA: Hahah, yeah, search engines aren’t really friendly to that name.

Gotcha. So the EHX is basically the “amp” that we’re making suffer via the Behringer SF300 being at 11. Yup, make sense and same theory applies. Thanks!

Should have just called it a Beano and raked bux. :slight_smile:

OK, I find this slightly amusing: GFS/guitarfetish has headstock decals for parts projects.

Poser Fauxcaster, Stooge Boguscaster, Bespoke Customcaster, etc.

Just walked into a guitar shop for the first time in awhile and saw the Fender acoustatonics for the first time. Kinda liked it, but what do y’all think?

There’s a bunch of pretty positive reviews (though they’re mostly gee wiz new axe! takes), this guy had a pretty balanced review, and he’s pretty funny if you look up his other youtube vids.

I thought his vid about testing weirdo guitar pedals was a hoot, watch to the end. Also playing guitar with a pen.

Well, I played it for a bit, and it was comfortable and had a nice action, I liked the sound well enough, but it was too noisy in the store to really assess that, and of course the gee whiz something new clouds my judgement. I was hoping to hear from someone who’s lived with it for awhile.

Well, my wife let me open my birthday present early this year. Partly because she was wondering if I’d like it. It wasn’t what I thought she was going to get me. Really, it’s sooooo much better than I thought it would be, which I should have expected. She gives the best gifts.

I’ve wanted an S-200 T-Bird ever since I was a kid and a friend’s dad had one. We referred to it as the “Gumby” guitar. It always played/sounded great when we were allowed to play it. That one had single coils, though. The modern reissues I’d seen all had humbuckers, so I hadn’t taken the plunge. Plus, I’d assumed it would have to be in sunburst, black or cherry, since that’s what Guild was offering them in last time I looked. She found one that comes with Guild’s version of the P90, and in gorgeous pelham blue to boot. I’d forgotten how well this shape fits me when I’m sitting down.

Hehehe, I thought on this for a bit, because the naming of that pedal has kind of always puzzled me. So, I asked myself “Ok, WTF would you name it, then?” There’s already a couple of Beano pedals out on the market. They’re not tube, but ya know. “Woman” pedal? Nah, sexist overtones. “Hideaway” preamp? Nah, too on the nose.

And I don’t like any of my ideas for pedal names, but:
EHX’s Hot Tubes pedal usually doesn’t have any tubes in it, but they put out one with tubes that is in the same enclosure as the Muff’n. They also make a LPB with tubes (the original was SS) in the same enclosure as well. I’m sure there’s differences in circuits between the three tube preamps, but I’m not sure what they are. Considering the hot mess that is EHX’s pedal naming, at least they didn’t just re-use an old name and act like you’re small minded for thinking a name could only refer to one pedal. So, I retract my objection, and English Muff’n is fine.

My favorite pedal name this week:

DAMN! Can we trade spouses? My wife thinks I have too many guitars and I only have 3 electrics, one acoustic, and one bass. Lucky!

Heheehe, mine rules, so nope! Thanks for the offer, though!

We both kind of allow each other to indulge in the things we love, but there are trade offs. She mostly tolerates that I don’t even know how many guitars/basses/amps I have (haven’t counted in several years, and she does sometimes grumble that I leave them out everywhere), and in return I move her 700Lb combination etching/litho printing press every time we move. We’re actually kind of on the market for a new house that will provide us both with larger, more useful studio spaces.

Sweet guitar, and you married a sweetheart at gift giving. How’s the Guild? I’ve never played one, and I’d love a decent guitar with P90s, please give a report when you’ve got it broken in.

Meanwhile:

That’s pretty boss.

Indeed, she is a sweetheart, and I love the Guild so far. I have 7 different guitars loaded with different versions of P90s* now. That she even knows what a P90 is and that I like them makes her beyond just indulgent and some sort of angel.

It actually plays better than my SGs, which is what it plays closest to. Only, since the funky body and the strap button placement don’t give it the balance of a SG, it doesn’t neck dive. The shape of the body is also pretty great for sitting down, and the upper bout being cut in is comfy as hell. The fit+finish are pretty great, and the fret dress and feel of the binding are perfect. The fretboard and inlays feel great too, with wide enough string spacing that I get to keep being lazy and not cut my nails this week. Yeah, it’s a poly finish, but it’s a nice, blemish free one. I don’t have a problem with poly finishes feeling grabby, so I can’t comment on that part.

The sound is great. It seems like the neck pickup is a little higher output than the bridge, but they blend well on the center setting. Damn nice set of P90s. It does seem a little sensitive to temperature changes and tuning, but every SG I’ve ever had behaved the same way.

There’s a couple of funky things. The placement of the string posts do make the D and G strings pass really close to the A and B string posts. They don’t rub, but if you crossed the A string over itself on it’s post and had a double width of string, the D probably would rub. Open back tuners on a guitar at this price point seems like an odd choice, too. I guess it’s accurate for a reissue, though.

A friend immediately commented “Sweet! Needs a Bigsby!” I kind of have to agree. I went ahead and ordered one and a Vibramate so if the B5 fits with the funky S-200 pickguard, I can mount it without drilling.

*Full run down: Gibson Marauder loaded with Fralin P90s w/metal covers (my first electric, modified by someone who owned it for awhile), a SG with Lollar Single Coils for Humbuckers, 67 SG Jr with the original dog ear, a dog ear supposedly from a 58 LP Jr put in the neck of a Korean LP Special copy, and an Epiphone LP Special that came loaded with P90s, a SX Tele copy with a pretty ugly sounding P90 in the neck, and now the Guild S-200.