The Greatest Artist of Rock and Roll (no, not a place to voice your opinion)

Last Labor Day (of '98) and tonight (Sept. 15), VH1 played a special called “The Greatest Artists of Rock And Roll” Anyway, I’m really interested in this, because I love rock and roll (and Joan Jett), but I missed almost the entire special last labor day, and I missed most of it tonight. I only managed to catch the 60-100 rundown they do, and Iggy Pop is nmber 83!!! Woo-hoo!! Anyway, my question is, does anyone have this list, or a link to it? (I’ve tried looking on VH1’s webpage for it, but I can’t find it) I mean, I know numbers one and two are going to be the Beatles and the Stones, but I want to see the rest of the numbers! Thanks.

Here you go, T.

http://vh1.com/special/100greatest/

We aim to please! :slight_smile:

Well, the list of the 100 greatest artists isn’t too bad, but check out that list of best videos. Whoo boy.

Where’s Rush and Metallica and the Beastie Boys? At least they got Robert Johnson.
Queen #33? Queen was a joke!

That is the best “Top 100” show I’ve ever seen on TV or heard on the radio. I particularly liked the way they came up with them.

Usually, these things are done on a fan poll basis, which gives a big edge to current artists. (Notice: Not a Hanson brother in sight.) This one was voted on by other artists. This gives us a list of the most influential artists of all time.

Personally, I was disappointed Rush didn’t make the cut, but I can understand it. There haven’t exactly been a lot of Rush copycats out there. Also, along the same lines, I noticed a lack of progressive or art-rock bands. Yes comes to mind.

I was pleasantly surprised at the number of early influence artists on the list (Johnny Cash and John Coltrane stick out in my mind.) On the whole, it was very entertaining. If you get a chance to watch the rest of it, MissTangy, do so.

Carpe hoc!

Queen a joke?!?

Hey, Metallica was smart enough to cover them, and Rush stole the pomp & circumcision of their attack!

Listen to Sheer Heart Attack some time…

Yer pal,
Satan

That’s goin’ in to my arsenal, pal!

Regards

When they asked the fans what the all-time greatest artists were, they picked Aerosmith as #2. Whoo boy.

I was happy to see the Allman Brothers and Lynyrd Skynyrd on the list. Two of my favorites.

How about that list of best videos? R.E.M’s ‘Everybody Hurts’ doesn’t even make the list, yet Alanis Morrissette is #1?

Another interesting omission: Guns N’ Roses. They aren’t on the top 100 artists list, and they don’t have a single video on the video list. Yet the last time I saw one of these ‘best videos of all time’ lists, G’N’R had three videos in the top 20, and two in the top 10 including the #1 video (“November Rain”, and the other two were “Don’t Cry” and “Patience”)

Hmmmmm… I clicked the link and checked out both lists, but I can hardly take them seriously. Especially the video list: I’m sure the object was to make a list of best VIDEO CLIPS, regardless of the song attached - well, not regardless, but the major thing should be the video. Then: since when is Billy Jean a better video than Thriller ? What the hell are all those Boyz II Men and Celine Dion / Mariah Carey videos doing there ? What’s so special about them ?

As for the band/artist list, I missed a couple of significant ones as well: Rush, Yes, Marillion (OK, maybe not that obvious). And there’s a lot of names I NEVER heard of before, although I dare say my rock ‘n’ roll history knowledge is pretty much OK. Must be the fact that I’m Dutch though, but I never heard a song of “Parliament-Funkadelic” over here… and, although I don’t like them at all, shouldn’t Deep Purple be on that list, let’s say in the top 10 or so ??
Also, there seem to be quite a lot of artists who, although influential, seem to have little to do with Rock ‘n’ Roll. Stevie Wonder ? James Brown ? Aretha Franklin ? No disrespect, but isn’t that broadening the category just a bit too much ? Just start off an entirely different Greates R&B/Soul artists Top 100 and clear some spaces for Rush, Yes, Marillion, Camel, etc etc :wink:

I’m sorry I voiced my opinion, thus disregarding the OP :slight_smile:

Coldfire

“You know how complex women are”

• Neil Peart, Rush (1993)

I gotta say that Stevie Wonder, James Brown and Aretha Franklin have each had more influence on Rock than Marillion, Rush or Deep Purple. Stevie Wonder is a genius. James Brown ROCKS! Ow! Get on down! and Aretha is simply the queen.

My take on it:

Rated too high:

Bowie
The Police
Marvin Gaye
Gladys Knight and the Pips
Sting
Rated too low:

Lynyrd Skynyrd
The Band
Frank Zappa
The Grateful Dead

Thanks very much for the link, Omni. My complaint about it–on the commercials I saw for the program, there were clips of Patti Smith and Blondie shown, but neither of them were on the list. And how the hell did they get away with ranking the Sex Pistols above the Ramones? The Ramones were punk! And David Bowie and Bob Dylan (or at least Bob Dylan) should have been higher than Led Zeppelin. Don’t get me wrong, I love Led Zeppelin, but I think Dylan has had way more influence on music than them.

Okay, in my above post were in “The Ramones were punk” was supposed to be in italics, but I messed up on that.

where the hell is Guns N’ F’n Roses??!
they surely deserve to be in the top 100

at least 5 or 6 others could have been taken out for them… ugh!

Chief’s Domain - http://www.seas.ucla.edu/~ravi