The Heathers remake looks horrible.

It’s the perfect interpretation for the trump era.

Since the first episode is out now, that seems to be the theme of the reviews… the show is a hit with the alt-right and seems to modeling high school as far-right imagines it instead of reality. Doesn’t look like something I’m going to spend much time on, but I probably will rewatch the original now.

It’s a major stretch to claim that characters that are never on screen are the villains of a movie. Heathers is a morality play, not a treatise on the root causes of the psychological issues of teenagers. The villains are the characters we see.

I would argue that both the Heathers and JD are the villains. Veronica is initially seduced by the revenge fantasy, but ultimately realizes that the only way to win the game is to ignore what people think and focus on real friendship.

Kudos to the remake I guess for being brave enough to make a fat girl and a gay guy the villains. We’ve come a long way (/sarcasm).

If you mean the Heatherses parents you are right, but of course we do meet J.D.'s sociopath dad, and both of Veronica’s parents, the patronizers of bunny rabbits.

Yeah, I mean the Heatherses parents. I think it’s still a stretch to call the other parents the villains, since they have little screen time and don’t directly commit any of the acts, but certainly they are not great parents.

This is because, according to the showrunner, you can’t be popular in high school today if you’re white or thin or straight. You have to be something, and the more somethings you are the higher in the hierarchy you are. And white straight people are just horribly bullied nowadays.

So all the popular kids in schools today are gay and transgendered and nonwhite and disabled and homeless.

its in limbo now ,sounds like it might not even happen at all…‘Heathers’ Reboot Delayed Following Parkland Shooting – The Hollywood Reporter

Interesting–the first episode had actually been officially released on the web a few days ago. (I have it, but haven’t watched it.) Having seen the reviews, they may be coming up with an excuse to bury the thing and hope people forget it ever existed.

Story in Slate:

Is it me, or are her eyes even more crooked than they were in the past?

Sounds like certain message boards. (not this one or any of the “related” spinoffs)

An update. While nobody in the US is willing to air this so far, it is now being aired in several other countries. No news yet if this will be treated as a war crime.

I missed this thread the first time around and good heavens, the remake looks terrible. Just a note that the original Heathers is available for free on Pluto TV if you have a streaming device that supports their app. I know the Amazon devices do.

There are also performances of *Heathers: The Musical *on YouTube.