The Heathers remake looks horrible.

Corn nuts.

Subergatory was close enough to a Heathers tv series. If the girl had homicidal boyfriend to drive her over the edge instead of a dad attracted to her rivals mother.

I can’t eat Corn Nuts without thinking of Heathers.

Well, fuck me gently with a chainsaw, that was awful.

So there is an example of someone who clearly doesn’t get the satire of the original Heathers.

Yes, the Heathers are aspirational if you believe being rich, attractive and superficially popular are the only virtues that one should aspire to.
That’s kind of the point with much of the 80s.

I just hope we’re all out of the blast radius when this shitnuke bombs. Stay safe.

(Favorite comment: “This trailer makes me want to eat a Tide pod”)

There are so, so many things wrong with this trailer. And that quote from one of the writers is only making it worse.

The original Heathers was also kind of terrible and b-movieish.

The actress playing Veronica has mastered Winona Ryder’s awful way of delivering lines.

I’ll watch for Drew Droge, though.

If they remake it, wouldn’t they need to change the title? I don’t know what the fashionable names for girls born in the U.S. around 2000 were, but I doubt if Heather was among them, partly because of the original movie.

Well, let’s see. Looking at the names from the top 5 girls names of 2000, we got: Emily, Hannah, Madison, Ashley, and Sarah. (Looks like Heather as a name’s popularity peaked in 1975, at #3, so that would be c. 1975, or 13 years before the movie. If we check popular names of 2005, we get Emily, Emma, Madison, Abigail, and Olivia in that order.) So I’d say “Madison” is our winner here. Or “Emma.”

Actually, the villains in Heathers (and indeed, most ‘Eighties movies from John Hughes and Cameron Crowe, of which Heathers is a satire) are the parents for being mostly absent from their childrens’ lives and generally a terrible example when they are present. We don’t see the parents of the eponymous Heathers but it is doubtful they are very good people or much aware of what their daughters are up to, and J.D.’s plan to blow up the school (“Like father, like son. A series of fuck bombs in the boiler room to set off a pack of thermals upstairs,”) is directly aping his father’s behavior. The school guidance counselor gives the most fascile advice, (“Whether to kill yourself or not is one of the most important decisions a teenager can make,”) and other parents haven’t the slightest idea what’s going on and whose superficial efforts at awareness are only expanded by personal tragedy. (Kurt’s Dad: “My son’s a homosexual, and I love him. I love my dead gay son.”. J.D.: “Wonder how he’d react if his son had a limp wrist with a pulse.”)

I don’t know what the point of this show is, except to recycle the title in some kind of attempt at “brand recognition” but I don’t think calling it merely “awful” gives it the revulsion it deserves.

”Plain or BQ?”

Stranger

Heathers was amazing. It’s remake, Jawbreaker, was awful. The second remake Mean Girls was at least as good as the original, I’d even call it better, but mostly because they did a good job of updating it.
This looks like trash. Here’s hoping that the it’s either a short run parody or a poorly edited trailer or for some other reason it turns out to be good. I really did love the original movie so I don’t want to see it brought down.

(that was mostly sarcastic, I’m fully aware that Jawbreaker and Mean Girls aren’t remakes of Heathers, but they are similar enough to be compared to it and certainly derived from it. And we could probably wedge Clueless in there somewhere).

It does feel, to me at least, like a bit of a parody or subversion of the original Heathers. Oddly, I did love Heathers, but I didn’t find this trailer to be that horrible, but I am viewing it as a bit of making fun of the original Heathers.

Except Clueless is obviously a modernized Jane Austen’s Emma so now you’re working in the wrong direction.

I think they’ll see it as parody of the modern more of high school, just like the original was for another generation. This one looks to be more over the top, and I think going in a little different plot direction.

Teenagers today were certainly too young when the original came out, they weren’t even born. Their parents would have seen the original.

Hopefully and you’re right that was what the original one was. But IIRC and I could be wrong, didn’t Christian Slater come right out and say that in the movie? Wasn’t there a line in there somewhere about how they were deliberately poking fun at them or trying to make them look stupid? Maybe right before they killed the jock and put the Evian in his hand?

I always forget that Clueless was based on Emma and having not read Emma (or seen anything that was based on it…other than Clueless) it doesn’t jump out at me when I watch it. Having said that, it’s still a movie based around school cliques, social status and what happens when people attempt to move between them. But it’s still ‘wedged in there’ whereas Heathers, Jawbreaker and Mean Girls fit together much better.

I have no idea how many kids today have are even aware of the original movie. With streaming movies and youtube and being able to watch whatever, whenever, it’s a lot different. ‘Back in my day’, you just watched what was on, and we had a quarter of the channels that are avail able now (I got like 10 of each premium channel ffs).
Anyway, the other day I was making (yes, making) my 12 year old watch Beetlejuice and she said ‘hey, that’s Joyce’. I had to look it up, having not seeing Stranger Things, but I was surprised at how quickly she put it together.

Come to think of it, from what I’ve heard Stranger Things is a very 80s-ish show, could that be what they’re banking on? The preview for this didn’t seem to have an 80’s vibe, but maybe they’re trying springboard off the 80’s stuff. As an adult that grew up with Heathers, so far, this doesn’t appeal to me, but I guess we’ll find out. If I were just looking at the screencaps on IMDB, I’d say it looks like they’re going after the Glee crowd, but what do I know.

I see that Shannen Doherty is in it. She’s also in a show called MallBrats.

MallBrats? Another callback, of course, since she was in Mallrats.

Not a callback, a sequel, and she plays the same character.

Yes, sorry, I was trying not to drag my post out any longer. I didn’t look too deep into it and I’m not even sure if it’s happening or not, but it’s a sequel and Kevin Smith is listed on IMDB as Silent Bob as well as being the Writer and Director. Wiki says he’s been pushing it for a few years and no one is picking it up, so I wouldn’t go watching for it any time soon.

Amusingly, I saw Clueless first. Years later, a girlfriend was watching the 1996 version of Emma and I was like “Hey, I can follow this! It’s like Clueless!”

Totally different, but by the time I finally got around to watching Star Wars for the first time I’d seen Spaceballs hundreds (literally) of times. The majority of those times not knowing it was a spoof of anything. It was an interesting experience seeing Star Wars and having a twisted idea about the general story. My daughter is about halfway through Spaceballs (I turned it off, it was bed time) and an absolute Star Wars fanatic. She’s not familiar with the spoof concept and knows nothing of anything else by Mel Brooks, so she’s pointing out all the inconsistencies between it and Star Wars.

The Heathers were awful role models but JD is the villain in the movie. The Heathers were petty tyrants but JD was an evil psychopath. One of the great things about the movie is that it sets up the Heathers to be the villains and then introduces JD in such an appealing way that we can see why Veronica is so seduced and tempted by evil. The viewer is likewise seduced by JD and we root for him until it is too late and Veronica’s teenage angst BS has a body count.