The Hound of the Baskervilles (Masterpiece Theatre)

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/hound/

Has anyone seen it? If so, what did you think of it?

Alas, we no longer have Jeremy Brett. Richard Roxburgh stars as Sherlock Holmes in this production.

Saw it a couple of weeks ago.
I’m not a huge Holmes fan, so my opin may not be the best.
It was entertaining enough.
Interesting casting, a much younger, more active Watson than usually portrayed.
Kinda hokey portrayal of the hound, to my eyes.
Any specific questions?

Hated the young smartass Holmes. I also wasn’t fond of the significant liberties they took with the story, all in an effort to make it more sensational. And I really hated the unconvincing CGI hound. Granted, the Hound has always been the weakest part of any dramatization – no matter how impressive it reads on the page, any real Hound seems to fail when you put it on the screen. CGI would seem to be the best solution. So why did they end up with some mutant pig/dog/bear creature? Just do a Big, Mean dog, dammit!

It’s been a long time since I read it, but to me the tension in the story came from the question, “Is the Hound real or supernatural?” IIRC, it had glowing eyes and jaws, pushing one toward the supernatural explanation. Of course, rationalism triumphs, and Holmes discovers the logical explanation for it all.

In the movie, this crucial element is almost entirely missing. Instead of the glowing eyes, the CGI Hound is unbelievably large. It’s not bizarre enough to make you think it might be supernatural, though, it just looks fake.
So no natural explanation is possible (and there is no attempt to give one).

IMO the producers completely missed the point of the story.