I saw an extended trailer for the upcoming Sherlock Holmes yesterday and I’ve got a bad feeling.
They’re apparently going for an action thriller/buddy film - there were scenes of Holmes and Watson trading wisecracks and punching each other. Not the cerebral detective we’re used too.
The movie it most reminded me of was Wild Wild West but I think it could be worse than that for the following reasons:
- The Wild Wild West was a silly TV series. It’s less of a stretch to turn it into a silly action movie than doing the same with Sherlock Holmes.
- Pissed off Sherlock Holmes fans are going to be a lot more vocal than any Wild Wild West fans were.
- Will Smith has an established image as an action star. Robert Downey has Iron Man but he still has to convince an audience that he’s a credible action hero.
- The villain is someone named Lord Blackwood. No Professor Moriarty. Apparently they felt that the audience wouldn’t take a villain seriously unless he looked capable of beating people up.
- You go to a Barry Sonnenfeld movie, you get what you expect. People have higher expectations from Guy Ritchie.
- Wild Wild West had Salma Hayek’s ass in it. No confirmation yet on Rachel McAdams’ ass.