Anyone else think Sherlock Holmes will be bad?

It’s sort of inevitable that it will be bad, compared to the books.

The Sherlock Holmes stories are one of the most celebrated series ever written, are about 120 years old and have hardly ever been out of print. Doyle was clearly an extremely accomplished writer.

Yet they hire some screenwriter to rewrite his books for the movie? How can it be anything but inferior to the original?

At least the screenwriter will usually accurately keep track of the first names of his major characters. :smiley:

And that is your criteria for judging the quality of the writing?

No, it is what I like to call a “joke.”

It will be a 70s/Cop/Buddy flick, with English accents. Bad ones.

I’m thinking Deduct Hard or Lethal Deerstalker.

I think it’s destined to suck.

I love the Jeremy Bret, Basil Rathbone Sherlock’s.

This one looks a little hinky to me. I’ll wait and see, but won’t be shocked by suckage.

I’ve started a new thread here, which shows what I expect… :rolleyes:

I am excited about this movie - Tony Stark as Sherlock Holmes . . .

And if you want to see Robert Downey, Jr. as a viable action figure other than Iron Man - rent Tropic Thunder.

C’mon, just give me this. I am looking forward to it. Just let me enjoy it.

I’ve lost all faith in Guy Ritchie so I’m worried, but who knows maybe he just needs to get away from the genre he seems to have stuck himself in. Either way, I’ll end up seeing it because my girlfriend is excited for this more than anything else.

James Watson would like a word with you.

The movie looks like alot of fun to me, and in my book Robert Downey Jr. can do no wrong! So I’m definitely looking forward to it.

Dammit, not nearly enough of you are paying attention to the really important stuff here:

Rachel McAdams in lingerie.

I’m expecting it to suck, but I will see it anyway. It looks like it will not be the Sherlock Holmes I know and I have not had good luck with films released Christmas day. But what the heck, I love SH and I like RDJ and as was mentioned Rachel McAdams in lingerie.

I am a huge Holmes fan, and was worried when I first saw the trailer. I then did something I normally never do, and sought about for a script - though I normally don’t mind being surprised about an adaptation, in this case, I’d rather be spoilered.

What I read put a lot of my fears to rest. It is NOT a screenwriter’s translation of any Holmes story - it is an original story set after Holmes first met Adler and before Watson gets married. In my opinion, it kept a strong feel of the original stories whilst playing up the action a bit. I liked the fact that the physical attributes of both Holmes and Watson were more true to the original stories than many adaptations have been (neither were slouches in the original stories, and Watson was certainly not dumpy or bumbling).

The script I read had some very clever moments, and suffice it to say that the trailers I have seen, whilst being from the script I read, are cut in a fairly misleading manner, likely with the hopes of drawing a larger audience.

I’m looking forward to it, over all :slight_smile:

You do realize that Holmes knew judo, right? “Bartisu” was a misspelled version of Bartisu, Bartitsu - Wikipedia which was basically a very early form of mixed martial arts fighting, combining judo (from a student of Jigoro Kano) and singlestick, and various other wrestling forms. Interesting sort of fighting.

It’s going to suck.

Look, **this has nothing to do with whether or ot it’s true to the books. ** Action, no action, that’s not the point. A franchise can be significantly reimagined or altered and be just as good as, or better, than the original source material; see “Battlestar Galactica” for the primo example. “The Dark Knight” significantly reimagines the Joker character and (beginning with Batman Begins) restarts the franchise in general, but is terrific stuff. Or, for a simpler example, the movie “Jaws” was much, much better than the book. So was “The Godfather.”

The movie’s going to suck because it’s going to suck. You can just tell from the trailer; it’s going to be a frenetically edited jumble of set peice scenes of either EXPOSITION, HUMOUR, or ACTION, ordered according to the Action Movie Screenwriter’s Code Of How To Make a Shitty Big Budget Movie. It doesn’t matter if Holmes is dead certain to the original, snorting coke and playing the violin, or not. The movie will suck because it’ll be a bad movie.

Everything about the movie - the trailer, the marketing, the style - reminds me of Van Helsing, The Brothers Grimm, Wild Wild West, and other similar piles of shit.

By ass your mean her breasts, don’t you?

Sounds so much like a House episode…:slight_smile:

This makes me happy. Thank you!!