Anyone else think Sherlock Holmes will be bad?

You do know that the Gregory House character is “inspired” by Sherlock Holmes, right? CITE

(if you do, my apologies for stating the obvious)

Yup–he lives at 21B and everything.

No, it was definitely her ass in Wild Wild West.

Unfortunately, I recall two quotes about her from WWW: she was referred to as “a breast of fresh air” by one character, and as “a breath of fresh ass” by another. So you’re both right!

Re: Dr. House, it is a strange time we live in when a medical drama is a more authentic telling of the Holmes Mythos than a Sherlock Holmes movie is!..TRM

Maybe not so surprising; Conan Doyle based his Holmes character on … his medical school professor.

That’s true. And I recall a *House *episode where he has a book written by a Dr. Joseph Bell. Just another one of the little easter eggs in that show.

Me, I’m excited about the movie. I’m a huge Holmes fan, and have read many of the pastiches where Holmes is a little more physically energetic (gets into occasional fights, etc.) than he is in the Doyle stories. I have no issue whatsoever with this sort of thing in the movie, as long as Holmes remains essentially Holmes (smart, sarcastic, moody, and most decidedly not overly horny).

That, and I thought Downey was brilliant in Iron Man, so I’m looking forward to seeing him again in this.

Actually, Conan Doyle referred to it as “baritsu.”

I’m a huge SH fan, and I know Downey pretty much only from Iron Man and Tropic Thunder (loved the first, thought the second was just OK). I expect I’ll see the movie, but the trailers seem to be far more about supernatural action-adventure than intellectual crime-solving - hardly surprising for Hollywood, after all. So thank you, Woeg, for those encouraging words. I feel better about it now. Hope you’re right!

I don’t say that a new Sherlock Holmes movie will be bad, but the odds are against its being good. Especially when they try – as they seem to be – to 'jazz it up". That’s the sort of thing that turned Young Sherlock Holmes into Sherlock Holmes and the Temple of Doom.

I’m puttin’ my money on Truly Awful, myself. I will be pleasantly surprised if it isn’t, but I think the chances are vanishingly small.

Yeah, I accidentally spelled it incorrectly twice. But both times the T was wrong.

Wait, the new movie makes Holmes a barista? That doesn’t seem right.

Yeah I was going to tease you about it, but didn’t want to come across as a nit-picker.