"The House of Mirth," by Miss Pussy Jones

From a Times “Streetscapes” article (9/12/04) about Edith Wharton’s NYC homes:

" . . . They were living there in March of 1885 when Edith married Edward Robbins Wharton, from Boston. The New York Times noted her nickname, saying that the bride had been ‘better known as Miss Pussy Jones,’ and called her one of the 'Washington-square set—apparently a reference to her long family history in New York."

Now I have an indelible mental image of Edith Wharton as a six-foot-tall drag queen in a silver miniskirt and an Afro.

I’m pretty sure I would have enjoyed her books a lot more in high school if this were the case.

*Me and Missus Pussy Jones, Pussy Jones, Pussy Jones
Pussy Jones got a thing going on,
We both know that it’s wrong,
But it’s much too strong to let it cool down now.

We gotta be extra careful
that we don’t build our hopes too high
Cause she’s got her own bad ass crib and so do I. *

The Age of Innocence, as interpreted by Ru Paul.

Actually, Miss Pussy Jones sounds more like a “blaxploitation” film starring Pam Grier.

I e’d my thanks to the writer of the Times piece for enlightening me, and he replied, “My editor wanted to suppress it as ‘irrelevant, and not very interesting.’” I’m so glad he fought to keep that tidbit in!

A mansion built in 1853 by Elizabeth Schermerhorn Jones, Edith’s aunt, is reputedly responsible for the phrase “keeping up with the Joneses”.

:smack: Now I get it! This explains why an old girlfriend used to keep telling me to “kiss my Edith” and “lick my Wharton.”

And I just thought she was weird.

Her name is Pussy (Shut yo’ mouth!)
I’m just talking about Pussy! Pussy Jones…"

If ever a 19th century novelist needed a theme song, it’s her.

I remember the Harlem drag documentary Paris is Burning showed Pepper LaBeija’s “House of Labeija,” Venus Xtravaganza’s “House of Xtravaganza,” Willi Ninja’s “House of Ninja”—why not Miss Pussy Jones’ “House of Mirth?”

My pug, who is coincidentally named Edith Wharton, is quite upset at the notion that her namesake had a nickname like Pussy. Despite assuring her that we will NEVER call HER Pussy (which is an abominable name for a dog), she’s still very worried. Are we sure that Edith Wharton (the author, not the pug) had that nickname? Is there a Snopes article on this? Edith Wharton (the pug, not the author) is awaiting some cites.

New York Times, Sept. 12, 2004, Real Estate Section, “Streetscapes” column, paragraph 10, lines 9 and 10: " . . . the bride had been ‘better known as Miss Pussy Jones . . .’"

I recommend Googling for edith wharton pussy jones with no delimiting quotes, for the bizarre results one gets. (Did you know that they’re restoring “Edith Wharton’s Mount”?)

Edith Wharton: the Bond Girl Years

Over the years, this mount has been worn down by the many visitors climbing off and on all day, so it is now referred to as “Miss Pussy Jones’ Hump”.

If Athena’s dog devored a cat, could we say that Edith Wharton ate . . .

Well, on second thought, let’s not go there. It must be bed time.

During the day, when she was writing and attending society functions, she looked like this.

But at night . . .

The popular new euphemism: Dinner/dining at the “house of mirth.”

I know it always makes me jolly. :smiley:

Don’t forget that Ms. Pussy Jones also penned such classics as:

The Age of Innocence
French Ways and Their Meaning
The (Baaaaaaaad?) Mother’s Recompense
Glimpses of the Moon

and
A Son at the Front

The list goes on and on . . .