[QUOTE=borschevsky]
Well, look at the Pats’ first two scores in the second half.
For the field goal, they were trapped deep in their own zone, the Chargers stopped them and forced a punt, but the Chargers gave the ball back with the muff. Then the Chargers stopped them again, but gave them the personal foul. Then the Chargers stopped them again, and they kicked the FG.
For the touchdown, the Patriots had free field position from the penalty on the extra point. They did have a couple good plays here as I recall, but then the Chargers stopped them, but gave the ball back with the INT fumble. As has been said, that’s a great play by Brown to strip the ball, but the Chargers DB should never have allowed him that opportunity.
Now obviously there were good plays from the Pats too. The last FG drive, the drive at the end of the first half, the INT on that floaty pass to LT, etc. But I think it’s fair to say that they scored the 11 points above by repeatedly failing to move the ball but then having a Charger go into brain lock and bail them out.
[/QUOTE]
The Chargers got a bunch of turnovers at the edge of field goal range too… and repeatedly failed to get the FG, particularly due to a number of big sacks that effectively denied them points they should have had. Like I said, it was a sloppy game on both sides… but given more opportunities with excellent field position (especially early in the first half, when they could have put the game out of reach very early)… the Pats D kept coming up big and the Chargers D gave up the three points.
Also, the personal foul wasn’t really as big as some are making it out to be, since that would have been a shorter FG than Gostkowski had already made at that end of the field even without the 15 yards (as I believe Ellis mentioned upthread).
It’s not that I don’t think the Chargers contributed to their own downfall… I just don’t think that they really played up to the juggernaut they were supposed to be outside of those errors, either.