The I-Can't-Believe-It's-Not-Omni-Doing-This NFL Playoffs Thread

Nice analysis - which I mostly agree with - but problem is that wasn’t a fake. A rusher broke in clean and the punter had no chance to kick. It was a case of making something out of nothing.

Bad weather in Chicago should, I think, give the more experienced offense (Seattle’s) an edge.

Yeah, we rewound to make sure it didn’t say anything else. In fairness, the “F” was a bit obscured, so it could have also been “Puck the Eagles” or perhaps “Tuck the Eagles”.

That may have been the case. It seemed to me that he stilled had the opportunity to try to get the punt off. He made no effort whatsoever to do so, so I thought it was a deliberate call. Sean Payton is also known for his aggressive and unconventional calls.

Colts win it all. Seriously. I thought that before the playoffs started, and I still think it now.

Pats-Chargers comes down the Chargers running a final drive to try and run the clock. The Pats’ defense is NOT what it used to be. The linebackers are older and slower, the defensive front simply isn’t as dominant, and the secondary is now basically UNIVERSITY OF CENTRAL FLORIDA SUPERSTAR (woot!) Asante Samuel and a bunch of who-dats, has-beens, and never-weres. Problem for the Pats- Samuel isn’t big enough to cover Gates, and if he shuts down the WR opposite him, the Chargers are unlikely to care.
While the above post suggesting that Gates and LT are the entire Chargers offense is essentially true, so what? The Chiefs have been one of the top offenses in football for the last five years with a nearly identical formula. If your line is good enough and your wide recievers make just enough plays, you’ll do just fine. The Chargers’ line is really, really good and their wideouts do exactly what the Pats’ wide recievers have always done- just enough. Vincent Jackson developed into an absolute beast (almost impossible to tell apart from Antonio Gates in the red zone) toward the end of this season, and Keenan McCardell and Eric Parker are both dependable possession guys. Meanwhile, while Tom Brady’s ability to complete passes to guys I could cover is commendable, it just won’t happen against this defense. The Chargers know everything there is to know about Reche Caldwell, and the Bolts linebackers are definitely good enough to take away the tight ends.

Chargers, 24-17.

'Hawks- Bears isn’t going to be close. I just can’t figure out which way it goes. I don’t believe Rex Grossman is nearly as bad as everyone thinks he is. He’s basically a first-year starter, fer chrissakes. That said, I don’t think he’s ready to win a playoff game yet. What nobody seems to have noticed is that the Bears rushing attack has quietly fallen apart. Neither Jones nor Cedric Benson have been particularly productive this year, and during the stretches of poor rushing, Grossman has had to do way too much.

I don’t see the Seahawks folding like they did earlier this year, and while I don’t think he’ll turn the ball over, I believe Grossman will be unproductive.

Seahawks, 20-7.

Okay, in the YouTube clip it’s not questionable. :smiley:

I agree that the NO punt wasn’t an intentional fake.

So at the end of that game, why the hell didn’t Philly go for it on the 4th and 15? They went for it on 4th and 10 and made the first which was negated by the false start and then they punt? WTF? All NO needed to do is get one first down and the game was over. Their only realistic chance was to make that first down and eventually at least kick a field goal for the tie.

I agree that it was stupid. They had 3 options.

Go for it and convert. Great.

Punt. Then you have to hold the Saints to less than 10 yards, or the game is over. So their field position doesn’t matter, outside of field goal range, which they wouldn’t have been in in 10 yards even if there was a turnover on downs. Field position matters a bit in terms of where you get the ball back, but not nearly as much to offset the problems here.

Go for it and fail. Almost the same result as a punt - you have to stop them right then and there, and get the ball back. The only difference is that A) You have no chance to convert the 4 and 15, and B) If you stop the Saints, and they punt it back to you, you’ve got another 30+ yards to go. But given the situation, clearly worth the risk.

There was a very small upside for punting - improved field position if you get the ball back, but with the way the Saints were running, that seemed unlikely. Best to go for it while your fate is still in your own hands on offense than rely on your defense to do something, in the 4th quarter, after they’re worn out, that they haven’t been doing all game.

Anyone else notice that coaches seem to put a ridiculous amount of faith in their defences, especially when it isn’t warranted? The Eagles hadn’t been able to stop Deuce all night, so why on earth did Andy Reid think they’d magically be able to stuff him three times? NO getting the first down there was the most predictable thing in the world.

My Saints had a little extra help on that last defensive stand. Only a long time Saints fan could’ve seen it, but Jackson, Johnson, Mills, and Swilling were astrally projected onto that field in a grand moment of Karmic Justice for the Dome Patrol. :smiley:

Tough OT win by the Bears. Saints will be on the road for the NFC Championship next Sunday. I think we’ve got a real shot at winning…

GEAUX SAINTS!

That was a pretty fun game. Hope that Omniscient got to see it in person. I’m personally rooting for an all ex-Tampa Super Bowl:

Lovie Smith’s Bears vs Tony Dungy’s Colts

But it’s kind of nice to be able to just enjoy these as a semi-neutral observer.

What on earth has happened to Martyball? The Chargers have gone for it twice on fourth down so far in the first half, including on a 4th-and-11.

I’ve been saying that Martyball was dead and we wouldn’t see it in the palyoffs. If we lose this one, it won’t be because Marty was too conservative.

At half-time, it’s San Diego 14, New England 10. The difference is that the Bolts went for it on 4-and-1, while the Pats took the field goal on 4th-and-2.

What a massive clusterfuck. First the fumble on the punt recovery and then that fucking idiot with the personal foul on third and long. We’re lucky that that only cost us three.

Native San Diegan here, rooting for the Pats. Either way, I win!

No end of stupid, stupid mistakes by the Bolts today. They’re lucky to be tied at this point.

Wow.

It was an ugly win, brought about by a myriad of San Diego mistakes, but I’ll take it and be happy. Here’s hoping we can do something next week against the Colts.

The Pats were lucky to win but my Bolts deserved to lose. Some of those mistakes were inexcusable like those two personal fouls late in the game. Then there was that fumble on the 4th down interception. WTF?!?!?! You’re not fucking Antonio Gates. Catch the ball and fall the fuck down.

Good luck, Pats. Beat the Colts. I hate anyone named Manning.

I’m officially a Saints fan as long as they’re still in it. Us Charger fans still love Drew Brees and wish him well.