The inconveniences and drawbacks of being a celebrity

I am, obviously, not a celebrity. But I read news about celebrities like anyone else and it gets me wondering, “How many inconveniences and drawbacks are there to being a celebrity?”
The ones that come to mind are:

1. Not being able to leave one’s home unless one is dressed well enough to be photographed by paparazzi or other people

2. Never getting treated as a “normal” person

3. Having to sign autographs all the time

4. Having to pose for photos with fans all the time

5. Not being able to speak one’s mind freely

6. Being constantly hated or judged

7. Exhaustion

8. Always wondering if people have ulterior motives

9. One’s words constantly being misquoted or taken out of context

10. Being constantly pressured to donate to charity or represent some cause

11. Constantly having to speak in public

What other drawbacks or inconveniences can you think of?

Knowing human nature, I assume a lot of celebrities have friends and/or family who ask for handouts.

How could you be certain of anything anyone says or does, as being sincere? People tell you what you want to hear, suck up for fame, money or movie roles.

Having to be suspect of everyone’s motives must really suck huge, I think. Plus I suspect there’s a lot of making nice with two faced douchebags. That’d definitely suck!

On the flip side of sincerity, having to be in character all of the time.

There are certain people that the internet just LOOOOOVVVEEEE for “being so true and so real” and all that jazz, when really it’s just playing to a crowd since you’re in public and you know how to be in public.

After a while, and after knowing how much you’re lauded for constantly doing whatever people think is so real of you, you have to constantly do that or people will start to hate you for “changing”.

So there is a pressure for them to be this character that people think they are when they are out

1. People suing you for anything/everything because they know you have money.

2. Knowing in the back of your mind that the lifestyle could end any day (the money, the sex, the travel, etc) if you lose your fame.

As far as 6, celebrities get way more hate for body imperfections than a non-celebrity ever would. That has to get tiring.

Not being able to eat the way you want. Julienne Moore is just one of many celebrities I’ve heard talk about this, but hers is the quote that I remember most often about celebrities and food.

“I still battle with my deeply boring diet of, essentially, yogurt and breakfast cereal and granola bars. I hate dieting. I hate having to do it to be the ‘right’ size. I’m hungry all the time. I think I’m a slender person, but the industry apparently doesn’t. All actresses are hungry all the time, I think.”

It might depend on the person; still…

14 Being an Entitled A-hole with no sense of boundaries, propriety, or common sense.
15 Trying to constantly prove that you are “edgy” or “relevant”.
16 A near desperate need to constantly point fingers of accusation at someone else, “because if the dogs are eating red meat over there, they won’t come sniffing over here”.
17 Justification of Worth as a Human Being via W2.
ex. “Yeah, well I made $X last year. What did You make?” “Sense.”
18 Never being able to “Let It Go”.
19 Hair extensions. Hair extensions. Hair extensions.
20 Ego with “MET-LIFE” printed on the side floating over head.
21 Intense Anger that people confuse your actual personality traits for the ones they see in the “product” or on TMZ.

One that’s often underappreciated by people who aren’t rich or famous: Having many people’s livelihood depend on your performance.

Once you reach a certain level of stature, an entire gaggle of support staff have to be put in place, just to keep everything going. Agents, publicists, secretaries, event planners, chauffeurs, bodyguards, brand managers etc. These are people you often personally recruit and hired, you spend more time with some of them than even your family and you consider them to be your friends just through how much time spent bonding.

So say one day you wake up and decide that you just don’t feel like singing/dancing/acting/whatever anymore. You have more than enough money to live on for the rest of your life but you face the potential of putting dozens, maybe hundreds of people out of work who definitely do not. These are people that you’ve met their spouses, seen their kids grow up.

If you’re a non-sociopath, you feel incredibly selfish and guilt inducing that you could disrupt the lives of dozens, maybe even hundreds of people who depend on you, simply due to a whim. The sense of obligation can feel profound and drive you to keep doing something you’re not in love with anymore, simply to keep the economic engine running.

It’s not something I hear talked about a lot but it’s a huge source of stress for a lot of famous people.

Being stalked. Of course it happens to non-celebrities, but being famous exposes you to a much bigger group of deranged people.

Ewan McGregor said the studio was reluctant to let him ride his motorcycle while filming the Star Wars movie.

That would suck.

Having sex with groupies only to have them come back years later and claim rape.

Yes, but as long as you smile at them when they hand you the award on stage, I’m sure its “all good”. :smiley:

OK, that was a cheap shot, but I guess it leads to the next one:
22 Herd Mentality. Or… “That which hides like I must hide must be my friend & have my back like I have their back.”

Not at all a celebrity, but I did spend a couple years as a very visible member of a community (the only white woman in a town of 3 million Chinese people.)

It sucks. Need to run to the drug store to grab some cold medicine? Better change out of those sweats, as you’ll have people taking pictures of you, complete with your red nose and frazzled hair. Having a crappy day? You still have to smile and be nice to all the people that want to talk to you, because if you snap even once, that becomes that person’s entire impression of you forever. And I hope you love stupid questions, because you are going to get the same predictable questions over and over again, every day, forever. And then there are the stalkers and the crazies, and the people that just don’t seem to grock that you are human.

The benefits are really, really fun…for about five minutes. Mostly, it adds up to people paying for nice meals and fancy drinks in order to hang out with you. That’s kind of fun, until you realize that it’s a lot better to buy your own darn drink and spend time with people you like.

I expect for many: trying to let their kids have a normal life when they’re being followed by photographers all the time. As an adult in the public eye, you deal with the various aspects of your fame because that’s part of the job, but your kids don’t need the added stress of having to be your perfect supporting cast. Or worse, having your kids being judged by what you’ve done…

It was tough for my non-academic sister who’s a year younger than I dealing with teachers who were disappointed that she didn’t perform at the same level that I did, and I wasn’t any kind of celeb. Multiply that for the sib or child of a star - gotta be a fine little slice of hell.

As an Asian who’s lived in Asia and seen white foreigners get precisely this sort of treatment from Asians that you describe, I’m sorry to hear you had to deal with this. Maybe a few decades from now Asia will be a more tactful continent. :frowning:

I used to know a guy who was in the cast of a TV series that was internationally huge in the 90s. He said the problem wasn’t people not treating you like a normal person; it was people not treating you like a person at all.

The one example that sticks in my mind: he was in a cafe somewhere in the US, having coffee and reading the paper, when two women walked past and one of them punched him, hard, in the shoulder. He looked up and she said to her friend, ‘See, I told you it was him.’ And kept walking. This woman had managed to convince herself that he wasn’t a person; he was an object that was somehow hers to do with as she liked.

He loved Ireland. The Irish are known for not hassling or acknowledging celebrities (it’d give them notions); when we were hanging out here, the only time he got any mention of his job was when he got mobbed on the street by a group of Italian students. He smiled and signed things and posed for their photos, and they went away and we headed to the pub.

I think of him whenever I’m tempted to post something bitchy about a celebrity on the internet. This is a person. Maybe a person who’s crazy about fame, or maybe a person like my friend who loves acting (or singing, or whatever) and is lucky enough to be successful at it - but a person. It’s fun to pretend that he or she isn’t, and that it’s fine to fire ridiculous amounts of vitriol his or her way for saying something mildly stupid or getting older or not being very good at his or her job…but if I wouldn’t say it about someone I know, if he or she had done the same thing, I try not to say it about a celebrity.

One drawback is that FAME doesn’t always come with WEALTH. There are probably a lot of people who are relatively well-known singers, comedians, authors, etc., but who don’t actually make that much money, so they have to deal with the crazies without being able to afford bodyguards, a home in a gated community, etc.

You might have a very good point. Maybe I was Incredibly harsh to some people who don’t deserve it (But a nickle says that even the very Nicest of those in that subset of people know Well the people who match Exactly what I said…
and know that it fits them IN SPADES).

That said, you have a point. What is it we always used to say about painting with too broad of a brush? (…well, the old-timers here used to say it here anyway) Every statistical sample has a full range… and Creativity comes from many sources all around the spectrum.

OK, in my life there has been One famous person who actually had the guts to say ‘hi’ & shake my hand, but I doubt you’d know him. I give him credit for that handshake though: it said a lot.
He didn’t have some crew of security guards… and he actually Wasn’t an A-hole. We got along. Funny that, huh?

He’s a weather guy on TV & radio: Joe Nolan. His wife was pretty cool too.
(…you probably thought I was going to say Tom Cruise, who I haven’t been in a room with in over 30 years. I might have passed him in a car Once since then. I had my kid in the back seat & I waved. He had his kid in the back seat & he sped up. Says it all.)

Having people call you “baby” all the time would be annoying.
“Tommy baby! the camera loves you! Call my people, we’ll do lunch.”

I’m a nobody normally but I have been to parts of the world were my presence attracted lots of attention.

It sucks. Everyone wants a piece of you. Everyone wants to talk to you. Everyone makes false assumptions about you. Everybody’s got an angle. You are basically a cartoon character.

Shopkeepers running out of their shops to put food in your hand and then demand money while you walk down the street. Vehicles stopping in traffic so the drivers can yell stuff at you. And so on.

I’d never want to be famous. We are primitive, ridiculous creatures.