The Jeremy Lin Thread

Late in the 4th, Toronto 84, New York 77.

Lin has 20 points and 11 assists but he does make his share of turnovers.

Lin-sanity strikes again! 2 big shots including the near buzzer-beater. But he takes a pounding every game. Is it sustainable?

I’m rooting against him. Any other team I would be a fan, but not the Knicks.

You have to admit, though, that the winning basket was just astounding. When the game was on the line, Lin hit a 25-footer like it was no big deal. Sensational.

I think the hype would be nearly as big for any undrafted Econ major from Harvard who came from nowhere to set all-time records for the New York Knicks in his first starts. The Knicks factor is much more important than the Asian factor, and “undrafted Econ major from Harvard” would be a pretty cool story for a player of any race.

I did find it a little funny when I saw a commentator on tv bemoaning Asian stereotypes about Lin (quiet, hard worker), then immediately after that saying his parents should be applauded for not forcing their kid to be a doctor or lawyer like all the other Asian parents.

That was a great drive and then a terrific 3 ftw.

Technically not true — Wataru “Wat” Misaka was drafted in 1947… by the New York Knicks. A recent SJ Mercury article said he was the first “minority” [non-white] player in the NBA.

I bet Wat was pretty electrifying himself.

Yeah but he met with a lot of resistance.

Ohm Gee, enough with the puns.

That was a really exciting game and especially the finish. I am one of those legions of Knicks fans that became so disgusted with the team’s owners I stopped watching (mostly) years ago. But the linsanity has sucked me in and it was a fun game against a poor team.

What I took from the game is…
OMG, the Knicks where playing Defense.
Lin looks good for a rookie and great for an Ivy League kid that has already been cut.
He is no Jason Kidd (yet at least)
If the team can make all the pieces work as they return, this could be exciting.

He’s not a rookie actually, he just wasn’t give much time before on other teams.

This, I think, will be Lin’s ultimate legacy. He seems to have a way of motivating everyone around him. This might be because every player now knows that they’re in the spotlight. The ridiculous numbers and buzzer-beaters will eventually moderate. Hopefully, the turnovers will as well. But I don’t don’t think his body will be able to continue to absorb the huge hits he’s taking when driving to the basket, which is a major part of his success.

But when he’s on the court, every player seems to give 100%. It almost appears that they’re playing for him, to show him how hard they’re working and to win his approval. The way Jared Jeffries hugs him about 5 times a game, you’d think they were each others’ Valentines! I watched about 75% of Knicks games this year in the pre-Lin era, and every game since. It’s amazing how this team has rallied around him and adopted him as their leader. They, collectively, have never played as hard this year (and the better part of the last decade) as they have over the past 6 games.

Folks want to compare him to Tim Tebow, and the mania part is comparable. But I think the real comparison is Kurt Warner, from an unheralded college (athletically speaking), kicked around the ‘minor’ leagues, given a chance due to injuries to starters, came in and had an instant impact. And they also are fairly open about their faith. Now if Lin wins a Championship, like Warner, the comparison will be complete.

I know but it was a useful label for my grading. The FAN & ESPN radio has been 70% Lin talk this past week. I know more about him then any other NBA player currently. :smiley:

I hope he is a Kurt Warner, I keep thinking of the short splashes made by Shane Spencer or BamBam Muelins when they came up, smashed a boat load of homers and then never really lived up to the early hype. Warner did live up to the early hype.

No Maas, No Maas!!!

The guy I’m remembering is Derrick Chievous, who scored something like 20 points a game for his first 8 games as a Houston Rocket. At the time, the Rockets had been looking for a dynamic swing-man type player to complement Olajuwon and Otis Thorpe for approximately ever (and would continue to do for years afterwards); suddenly Rockets fans thought we had him.

But then the league worked out that he couldn’t knock down an open jumper, and that was it.

Lol… A Sugar ray Lin-ard reference! Or Kev-lin Maas? Sorry

AHH A sweet MIZZOU reference of one Derrick CHEVIOUS!!.. Yeah Chevie peaked at Columbia…
Jeremy Lin is ballin out… I love it… I tell knucklehead all the time… talent is in a lot of places… you don’t have to go to Kentucky and be a student for one semester HAHAH…
Asian… Havard… cut multiple times… Hollywood wouldve rejected the story…

I hate HATE HATE the knicks… from Charles Smith gettin blocked to John Starks punk ass going 1-16… Bulls fan for life… but I love this kid… Gonna take the kids to see him when they come to Atlanta (The Highlight Factory… biggest joke in the NBA)
Hope he’s not…let me add my rookie flash… Joltin Joe Charboneau!!!

Nice graphic.