The last episode of Star Trek Voyager.

As I understand it, they kept changing the ending right up until they filmed it. So I’m just assuming that any illogical scenes were there because someone forgot to write them in the correct order.

My take on the ending? Voyager decides to get behind he Borg Sphere forward armor can take shots instead of the weakened aft armor. This also has the nice visual of beind able to blow up that huge Borg Sphere (I keep expecting to see a Borg Pyramid, but then I think EA would ticked…) from behind and flying dramatically through the explosion.

Sans armor, mind you. :slight_smile:

All in all, not bad. Some parts where I didn’t mind a bathroom break, but not bad. I prefer DS9’s, but this wasn’t bad.

Spoiler alert!

Woop!

Woop!

Woop!

My take on the borg sphere is that they couldn’t predict how much damage blowing up the conduit would do to Voyager, so they left the Queen access to one last ship-assimilating sphere. It caught up to them, beat them up, took then inside, and they turned out not to need the armor as there was no earth-shattering kaboom as the conduit self-destructed behind them.

Belt, suspenders, AND thumbtacks. It would suck to arrive back in the Alpha Quadrant as a rapidly expanding cloud of ship parts.

Borg Queen and Adm. Janeway…gone.
Unimatrix One…toast.
Transwarp Jumpgate…wasted.

Is the entire Borg Collective disrupted?

I need a little help here understanding.

What is the Unimatrix One? And what is the difference between the sphere Borg ship and the cube ones? And how the hell did the Voyager blow that thing up?

Yeah, the ending was a bit abrupt, wasn’t it? Nice to see Alice Krige back as the Queen. She had this evil seductive quality the other actress lacked.

There was a cliffhanger episode that ended Season Six and began Season Seven called “Unimatrix Zero” that explained what it was. Part One ended with Janeway, Tuvok and Torres assimilated by the Borg.

AFAIK, there is no difference between a Borg cube and a Borg sphere other than shape. I think it’s supposed to show the Borg have no aesthetic sense.

It looked to me like Voyager blew up the sphere from the inside and was protected by the futuristic armor. (Someone explain to me how that armor is supposed to grow and retract like that!)

Y’all realize that we won’t know what is going on in the 24th century now, except for the occaisional movie? Did they ever explain how the Maquis memebers of the crew would be treated once they got back?

With any luck, their arrival on Earth closed the door on any movies.

Yeah, I can think of plenty of ways they could do it anyway, most using plot devices they’ve already used (but that has NEVER stopped them before). I’m just trying to be optimistic.

Jeri Ryan’s going to “Boston Public” next year.

Johnny L.A.
<<I thought I heard Janeway tell Parris to take the exit. But they ended up home. Did I miss something?>>

She didn’t, actually. After they mentioned that the nearest exit was back to the Delta quadrant, Janeway said only, “Mr. Paris, prepare to adjust your heading”. The audience is left to assume that she meant to the Delta-quadrant exit. But, apparently the heading she meant was elsewhere (i.e. into the Borg sphere).

Dinsdale
<<The only good part was when BQ’s limbs started falling off. I expected her to say, “It’s only a flesh wound.”>>

I love it!

Janeway: But you’ve got no arms left!
Borg Queen: Yes I have!

Munch
<<What is the Unimatrix One?>>

Borg headquarters back in the Delta Quadrant

<<And what is the difference between the sphere Borg ship and the cube ones?>>

One kind is round and the others are square-ish and block-ish… Does that help? :smiley:

I think the spheres are smaller, more on the “scout ship” level, compared to the full size cubes.

And whatever happened to the non-geometrically perfect ships that the Borg had in TNG, when Lore got his hands on some Borg and gave them emotions?

jab1, I think the treatment of the former Maquis crew was discussed (or maybe just hinted at) in earlier episodes, after Voyager made actual contact with the Federation and was sending messages back and forth in monthly data streams. (I think the Federation pardoned them…)

As for the “futuristic armor”, I thought they called it “ablative armor” – and isn’t that what the Defiant already had on DS9? (Except for the batmobile-like deployment, that is…)

So was that Unimatrix One that was also exploding at the end? Okay, so the neuro-whatsit pathogen disrupted the Borg thoughts and such, but making Borg headquarters explode?

And why didn’t Captain Braxton, or some other fellow from the 29th century, pop in and stop Adm. Janeway from disrupting the timeline and administer temporal spankings?
:smiley:

Borg Cubes are used for assimilating planets, spheres are used for assimilating ships. Voyager used a transmorphic (sp) torpedo from the inside to blow it up.

All in all I did enjoy the episode, but it still felt as if everything was served up on a nice silver platter with a ribbon tied around it.

I would have liked to have seen their actual return to earth though, like they showed in the begining. That would have been cool.

Because they can only do that if someone is trying to hurt Voyager. :smiley: (They probably figured that the destruction of the Borg Uniplex and Transwarp Hub was also somewhat beneficial)

Perhaps that armor was holographic? Not real but a fantastic simulation!

eh… We’ll probaly never see it again. It’s from 20 years after Voyager. Although the Voyager does have it now … sigh, I wish they never invented the timeline stuff. I only liked the way it worked twice. The one with Teri Garr (pant pant) and the one where the NG goes back and visits ZC. Other then that it just seemed lazy.

I just assumed they were somehow replicating the armor onto the ship’s hull.

Star Trek: Voyager was the worst-written drama on the air in the past seven years, and by far the worst Star Trek series. I can’t even catalogue all the ways it let me down, but here’s a sampler.

The finale was a tremendous letdown. If they weren’t going to get home until the very last episode (which was a mistake in itself), they at least should have gotten back early in the two hours so we could have seen:

[ul]
[li] Naomi Wildman meet her father for the first time (especially since her mother seems to have vanished).[/li][li] The disposition of legal matters relating to the Maquis and to Tom Paris.[/li][li] Seven seeing Earth for the first time, and perhaps meeting her aunt.[/li][/ul]

Of course, it still would’ve been way too late for the show to become interesting. Voyager should have arrived back at Sector 001 barely-held-together with duct tape, with holes in the bulkheads, all the photon torpedos and shuttles fired or lost; the crew barely civil to each other and wearing frayed, torn, stinky uniforms.

And with several small children running around, not just Naomi and the Paris offspring.

Braga and Berman started with an excellent premise and proceeded to drop every single ball they had in the air. I challenge Opalcat and every other confessed Voyager fan to defend the show, either in terms of character, plot, or tech(nobabble).

Maybe they’ll do a VH-1-like “Where are they now?” episode.

Admiral Janeway went back to Unimatrix One so she could disrupt the Queen’s thoughts with her virus. That way, the Borg lost access to ALL 6 of their warp hubs, and the Unimatrix blew up too, which is cool but unexplained…

I’m still trying to figure out how the ablative armor gets blown up without the shields going down… perhaps the Borg ship took out their shields in seconds flat, and all they had left was armor?

Boy, it’d sure suck to have to try and abandon ship via escape pods with that armor in place.

I was kinda (not really, but the thought was there) hoping that the next Star Trek series would be the adventures of Naomi, Echeb, and the other Borglings at Star Fleet Academy. Oh, well. Guess we get to go back to the plywood-and-christmas-tree-lights world of Pre-Classic Trek.

Fiver:

non-babble tech defense of Voyager? how about Seven of Nine in her high technology Borg silver cat suit? and Borg high heeels?

“Voyager” blew from the first episode. Even Seven’s cat suit lost some of its charm when I got the big TV and could see the stays. Some.

The interesting next Trek series would be set right after Cochran invents warp drive, with rebuilding the Earth and getting to know the Vulcans.

“Enterprise” has potential, although it will probably be squandered like “Voyager.” I hope so, since there’s so little worth watching. Especially since “Lone Gunmen” got axed. Maybe UPN will pick it up like “Buffy” and “Roswell.”

Guess I’m gonna have to get cable so I can watch “Babylon 5” reruns.

Exactly. This was the biggest strike against the series. Seven years away from home and they come back looking as good as the day they left! If they can do this, it makes me wonder why Star Fleet even needs Star Bases.

And only two children born in seven years? I guess most of the crew used the holodeck for their sexual needs!

Fiver

Naomi Wildman meet her father for the first time (especially since her mother seems to have vanished).

Actually, I’ve been wondering about this one. Since my city didn’t get UPN on its cable lineup when Voyager first moved to UPN, I missed a season or two and had to catch up on them in reruns later on. (UPN came to my town later on). But I’d always assumed I must have missed an episode – I’ve been wondering what ever did happen to Naomi’s mom…?

I would have liked to see their actual return to Earth, too. Especially how Seven would have handled it.

Voyager never moved to UPN. It started on UPN. It started WITH UPN. IIRC, Voyager Episode 1 was the first thing officially shown on UPN. (On my birthday!)

I won’t defend the show, but I will contend that there were at least three really good episodes… the one where the Doctor is sent to a top-secret Federation ship captured by the Romulans (and he deals with the EMH Mark III)… the one where the Doctor is sent back to Federation space to help cure his maker, Docter Zimmerman… and the one where the Doctor (noticing a trend here?) has to try to prove that he is, indeed, a person.

(My apologies for not knowing the episode names… I never pay attention to those.)

Don’t forget about Sisko’s visit from the Temporal police during the Trials and Tribble-ations episode of DS9. I can’t remember if they called it a Temporal Prime Directive, but they did talk about not interfering in the past, and it did require an investigation.

Did she play the Borg Queen in the finale? The Borg Queen is usually played by another actress on Voyager.

I missed the finale, but they are supposed to be airing it again tonight, so I might catch it.