The last episode of Star Trek Voyager.

You’re 7?

Well, if that’s the case, perhaps I should have said “moved to UPN only” – I watched the first three seasons (1995, 96, 97) on one of the regular stations here… They aired it on Fox, I think.

UPN wasn’t added to my local cable lineup until about 2 years ago. The last one I saw before they stopped airing on Fox was “Scorpion part I” (season 3 finale cliffhanger) – so I had to wait about two years to see the second part!

Oh, yes.

First, I fully agree that the Voyager should have been in far worse shape than it was in at the end. No shuttles left, one phaser gone, shields unable to get up past 75%; a ship that looked like it had been through years of combat with no drydocking. Now, about the last episode…

The last episode was OK, but it should have been the second-to-last episode. I’d have had the ship come out farther from earth, near Deep Space 9 (for that neat little tie-in). The Borg sphere is blown up, and everyone goes to DS9 to celebrate. During a party as Quark’s, the Ferengi sells Chakotay some information he acquired though dubious means. It seems that not everyone is going to get the welcome that they were expecting. For starters, the asshole bureaucrats that run the Federation have not forgiven the Maquis for their past crimes. In fact, a warship from earth is being sent out to DS9 to arrest Chakotay, Torres and the other Maquis and take them to prison. Tom Paris is also going back to jail. In addition to all of this legal trouble, the Doctor finds out that he is going to be deleted and replaced with an upgraded version of his program.

Eventually, Janeway finds out about this and (surprise, surprise) must make a hard choice: either kiss her friends good-bye or help them escape, which would mean kissing her career good-bye. She chooses the latter. They all end up sneaking on board the Defiant (that little ass-kicking warship that they keep at DS9) and stealing it. Harry Kim and Seven would end up with them for whatever reason, but Tuvok would die. I can’t stand those Vulcans and their goddamned sanctimonious attitude :mad:

In the end, the Federation warship that’s supposed to arrest our guys shows up, and the Defiant attacks it and disables it. Then a Cardassian warship shows up and goes after the Defiant (they still want the Maquis crewmembers). This ship is mercilessly destroyed. The series ends with the now-renegade crew jumping into hyperspace, heading off to parts unknown.

What do you think?

Are you Stephen Ratliff?

You want it to look like something it’s not?
The Delta Quadrant’s not a vacant space. Their patches really ought to have been less Federation-ish, but they haven’t gone years without drydock. They’ve had plenty of chances to repair and refit.

Star Wars - Hyperspace, Star Trek - Warp!

Repeat it with m!

If you had made that blunder while talking to me in person, I’d have slapped you for it.

And after you’re done repeating it with Ian Fleming’s mother, repeat it with ME, too.

I just felt the need to point out that SPOOFE’s last post was number 47 in this thread.

I just have to say here that, IMO, having ANY science fiction on TV is better than having no sci fi at all (and that is a real possibility, as we all know). In my dream world, we get rid of all of the big steaming piles on TV and replace them all with sci fi; sci fi comedies, sci fi movies, sci fi love stories, sci fi dramas, sci fi soap operas; ah, it’s a beautiful place to be, in my dream world.

Diceman, I like your episode! Re various other points:

I, too, think there should have been more kids. Once Naomi was born, other people should have decided to procreate, for several reasons.

> To fill the eventual need for replacement crewmembers as current crew aged / got killed off / deserted / whatever. For all they knew, they were going to spend the rest of their lives trying to get back to the Alpha Quadrent.

> Would have made the ship more of a community; would have been a morale-booster for everyone.

> Better for Naomi to have some other kids to interact with, rather then spending her whole childhood as the the one and only child among several hundred adults.

I think they should have picked someone else for Seven of Nine to have a romance with. Chakotay and Janeway should have been an item since the episode where the two of them were left behind on some wilderness planet for months. They expected to be there for the rest of their lives; why they didn’t get together then is beyond me.

Also, if they ever got home, Janeway would probably be in trouble for a whole list of things; having a longterm affair with her 2nd in command would have been the least of her worries. (Unless all Voyager people instantly became such heros to the public that Starfleet Command decided to let things slide so as to be able to properly exploit their popularity.) In fact, I find it hard to believe that Starfleet Command would expect a Captain to remain celibate for years under Voyager’s circumstances.

This brings up the question, if not Chakotay, then who? Harry Kim? Seems to be unattached, and seemed at one point to have a crush on her. Anyone have any other candidates?

Re which episodes were best, I liked the Year of Hell thing. Also the one where they went back to 20th Century earth. A 20th Century guy had gotten his hands on 29th Century technology.

It didn’t surprise me that they ended the last episode with their arrival home. I hoped we’d get at least one episode (better yet, several) showing what happens after they get home. Hoped, but didn’t expect. There were a number of things I wanted to see. Such as how Starfleet would handle the presence of Maquis officers, not to mention an ex-Borg. (And are the Maquis still around? How will they react to their people having gone over to Starfleet?) Such as how Admiral Parris would react to his son’s Maquis, half-Klingon wife, and his own new, quarter-Klingon grandchild. And would he believe his son had cleaned up his act? And Seven of Nine’s introduction to Earth.

In the episode where Voyager first made contact with Earth, it was revealed that all of the other Maquis had been killed by Cardassians.

Hi Jack

As one who has noted before that he gave up on Voyager, I recently saw a two-part episode that, while it didn’t change my overall opinion, certainly made me vow to never say “never.” “Equinox” concerned another vessel lost in the Delta Quadrant which had not survived as well as Voyager. Basically at the end, five members of this crew were saved, and stripped of rank by Janeway, and presumably sent to scrub the lower decks.

Does anybody know if these folks had a continuing role in the show? Were they ever featured again, pardoned along with the Maquis, etc?

Bye Jack

Thanks,

Sir Rhosis

<<In the episode where Voyager first made contact with Earth, it was revealed that all of the other Maquis had been killed by Cardassians.>>

In addition, that all happened during DS9 – when the Cardassians joined up with the Dominion, one of the first things they did was to wipe out the Maquis.

It was a good episode over all. Although I don’t know if it is a good sign that the best acting Janeway does in the whole series is opposite herself. :slight_smile:

One question, the Borg Queen figured that if she kills Capt. Janeway, then Admiral Janeway can’t do all her little time travelin’ stuff. Okay, but since Capt. Janeway got home and changed history, isn’t it the same thing basically? Or does Capt. Janeway now have to go back in time in thrity years and act cynical and sacrifice herself for Voyager?

The Admiral existed in the present, which means that unless the younger Janeway died (thus leaving NO possibility for future Janeway) the Admiral’s actions would stand. At least, that’s my spin on it.

Oh, and what destroyed the Unicomplex was the pathogen introduced when Adm. Janeway got assimilated. It seemed to physically attack the technological half of the Borg, hence why the Queen was falling apart and couldn’t communicate with other Borg.

And yes, I agree that there needs to be some follow-up on what happened to the crew after they got back.

But here’s another question: If the Borg could instantly deploy starships to any corner of the galaxy, why hadn’t they sent more than one Cube at Earth at a time? Or why hadn’t they assimilated the Dominion?

Because that’d make too much sense for the Star Trek writers. I think they get their story ideas from sniffing glue and then reading Marmaduke.

Unlike those fine Star Wars writers who brilliantly came up with the idea that the Force was a virus or something. :rolleyes:

Now that Jeri Ryan has joined the cast of Boston Public, I think they should get the following joke out of the way on the first episode she’s on: put her in room “7” or “9” or “709” or maybe she used to teach “7th” grade and now she teaches “9th grade”.

Well, the “right-thinking” answer is, they didn’t have that technology at the time, they assimilated it later. My suspicion is that Hugh’s group of renegade Borg assimilated it, since they’re the first we see with it, then it made its way into the possession of the Hive.