The Lie of Fiscal Responsibility

Record $422 Billion Deficit Predicted

Bush Promises to Cut Deficit in half by 2006

Deficit to hit $2.29 Trillion over next decade

How does he get away with saying things like this?

Well, it sure isn’t because of that gosh-darned liberal media, which has been pounding away at the Bush Administration’s fiscally irresponsibie policies of the last four years. :rolleyes:

I think you may want to rephrase your question because Bush gets away with saying a lot of stuff.

I wonder how long it will be until someone mentions the gold standard.

Bring it on!

The budget predictrions are from the nonpartisan CBO, and the other link is to a Bush quote. What on earth does this have to do with a liberal media?

I think (although please don’t hold me responsible for what rjung said) that he’s being sarcastic, and his answer to your OP is that he gets away with it because the media doesn’t hold him accountable.

He’s said things just as bad or worse and not gotten called on it.

Chairman Pow: that would be me you’re talking about.
I’ve said it to my friends in real life, and I’ll say it here: if The Unready One wins, buy gold. Accumulate it slowly and prudently and with a plan, but do it. If he gets away with half of what he says he wants to do, you’re going to need it as insurance against financial armageddon. It’s one thing I say with complete seriousness, and without reservation. There’s nothing about which I am more certain.

Holy fuck. I’ve been trying to defend gold in other threads (although I suppose I tried to do it with reason and it probably doesn’t look like it), but I’m always glad to see someone else who feels the same way.

As you well know, we’re the only ones who know the meaning of reason, down to our bones. 'Nuff said.

A-yup. If we were getting these numbers during the Clinton years, every night’s news reports would be starting off with some variant of “Day 847 of Clinton’s economic screwup” or somesuch.

But hey, Bush gives the media what they want (White House access and permission to merge into ever-bigger conglomerates), and they give him what Karl Rove wants.