The little tune we all know, but never talk about

Wait, so you do or do not whistle Dragnet? What’s a white grapist? Uuruasdfhgh.

I think I know the tune the OP means. The rhythm is as the OP gave, and the notes are C A G F F (descending from the first note). My vague memory brings up a cartoon character running over a bridge that collapses under him or runs off a cliff. He stays in the air until he realizes what’s happened, whereupon the animator redraws him as a jackass and the music plays. Then the character regains his original appearance and falls. But it was some character earlier and other than Wile E. Coyote.

But I have no idea where it originated.

I do nothing. I’ve been vaporized. (You wrote ALL life on Earth is destroyed, so I am too.)

I know this is gonna seem ridiculous, but this is very close to it:

Not! Not! A thousand times not!

The Grapist was an annoying member from a few years back, who would go into random threads and post You have been graped by the grapist! Did I mention annoying? Because if I haven’t, I would like to say that he was annoying.

Colored text is generally frowned upon here, but I chose to use it in this thread. I used white. Highlight my text in post #4, and you’ll see it.

I presume to buy dog food. They have to eat, you know!

I’m glad I made my background grey. :slight_smile:

I remember The Grapist, but I didn’t catch your little trick there.

Duped again!

Was it that animated typewriter guy on Sesame Street?

Noo ne noo ne noo ne noo ne noo …?

Okay, I definitely know what you mean, but not what song it is.

They do use it a lot in the Simpsons. Whenever someone does something wrong, and they walk off, pretending to be all innocent. I’m trying to see if I can pull up a youtube Simpsons scene with someone whistling, but I can’t even think of any right now. Do you remember any specific scenes where someone did that?

I see lots of references to it on Google as “innocent whistle”. But no mention of who wrote it.

Yeah, that’s the same tune I think.

I didn’t know that “14 k of g in an f p d” had a song…

The midi on this page is almost but not quite it, I think.

‘Happiness is a cigar called Hamlet’

Sample Youtube video.

I know this isn’t it, but it’s all I can think of at the moment.

I would say the “innocent whistle” is not an exact melody, but simply a descending motif.

I will hazard a WAG and say that it’s one of those cross-cultural things that a lot of people do and recognize, kind of like the “nyah nyah” song, which has a nearly identical melody the world over, even in cultures that were using it before contact with other cultures who use it.

I’m not sure anyone wrote it in the traditional sense of sitting down at a piano with manuscript paper. I’m betting that either a) It was first done that way in a movie or something, then just caught on, or b) it’s written into our DNA. I’m betting it’s b, because it does seem to be universal.

I love that the last commment on the Sesame Street ( :eek: ) video was “hot adults on webcam in your AREA!  CAMAZONCAMS dot COM”