The Many Saints of Newark Discussion Thread

Thank you for the detailed explanation. I will look at Paulie through different eyes now.

Am I the only one who took forever (literally, until yesterday) to realize that “Moltisanti” means “Many Saints”? and to think of that as relevant to the new movie? Many Saints. Christopher (and Dickie) Moltisanti?

Maybe that was obvious to everyone else, but I was just so happily surprised to figure it out!

But he really isn’t. I mean, none of them are and that issue is addressed frequently throughout the series, but they even go so far as to use Paulie to explicitly make the case in the The Gang Goes To Italy episode. Every local Italian he tries to be friendly with thinks he’s just another classless American. Whatever he thinks his culture is, no Italian thinks he’s one of them.

Paulie is never getting out of the life by choice. In the Tony and Paulie Go To Florida episode, Beansie points out that without any actual family, Tony, the guys and his image are all Paulie has. “The life” is pretty much his entire literal life. He couldn’t ever give it up.

AJ would be out of the army the moment he realized it didn’t have room service.

Carmela says after all the expenses and whatnot, she made close to “six,” which I think we can assume means six hundred thousand.

Just popped up on HBOMax…

Just got back from the theater. Clear to do spoilers yet?

Yuppers!

Somebody please tell me that this was the intro to an 8 or 10 episode limited series… How does Tony go from being a punk kid on the outside looking in to underboss?

Also, maybe it’s just me, but I never got the impression during the series that Sil, Paulie, and Pussy were that much older than Tony. Maybe a couple of years, but this makes it looks like 10+.

Tony and Jackie robbed Feech La Manna’s card game and that set them on “the fast track to the top” according to the story Ralph Cifaretto tells Jackie Jr. in the season 3 Sopranos episode “Amour Fou.”

This is something that did not occur to me until my girlfriend mentioned it to me. Dickie makes a big deal about how his wife can’t have children. Then Christopher shows up. Sure this happens in real life but now it sort of feels like Chekhov’s Baby. Why put the line about not being able to have a kid? Is Christopher really the son of the Italian stepmother/girlfriend?

Vincent Pastore is 15 years older than James Gandolfini and Steve Van Zandt is 11 years older. I know actors ages don’t always match up with their characters age but it seems pretty close in this case.

ETA Tony Sirico was 19 years older.

I have anecdata which refutes! Both my older brother and I were conceived under the exact same circumstances. My mother was told she couldn’t have children, adopted two daughters, then got pregnant. Was told that boy #1 was a miracle and she should never expect this to happen again while she was (unknowingly) pregnant with yours truly.

1960s medicine just suuuuucked.

I have things like that in my life too. But why highlight the fact they were having problems in the script? It wouldn’t have made a difference if they just had the scene “Hey here’s Christopher.”

Can anyone comment on the violence? Is it pretty extreme?

No spoilers. Just in general…

I don’t mind some violence and shooting. Torture and slaughter isn’t my thing.

No it’s not extreme or extremely graphic compared to other movies. Just like the show it’s more surprising when it comes than graphic.

One scene was a bit more graphic but the violence was pretty brief.

I clicked to see what this thread was about because the title sounds like a B. Kliban cartoon. Alas, it is not a Kliban thread and I haven’t seen The Sopranos.

"So no fuckin’ ziti then?

Thanks Loach.

We’re planning to watch.

I guess I wasn’t too impressed by the movie. As was mentioned earlier, it didn’t discuss how Tony changed and became the person he became later.

Also was the person who shot Dickie the same person who did the hit in the TV series? Was it the cop? In the original TV series did they discuss uncle jr being behind the hit?