The Marvelous Ms. Marvel

RE: Episode 2 -

Is Zoe emancipated? Why else would a teenage girl, in this age of Sokovia Accords and superheroes being fairly common, sit and talk to state/federal agents without a parent or attorney present?

I suppose I can credit some of it to naivety, but it seems like everyone would be a little more conscious about going to the police for an interview/interrogation without having representation.

“It’s just a friendly chat. Your lawyer will be along in just a minute.”

First thing she said when the cops showed up to her party was “my parents are going to kill me”. Which means they were probably out of town and she was throwing the party in their absence.

The power of embiggening replaced by the power of parkour.

There was some other superhero fairly recently (comics or TV) who had tge “creating steps in mid-air” power, but I can’t remember where I saw it. Ringing any bells for anyone?

Dr Strange does it for Star Lord in Infinity war.

The one I was thinking about couldn’t be MCU, I actually haven’t seen most of those.

Wasn’t crazy about the first episode, but I liked the second better. I think the stylistic “teen” touches (e.g., emojis and text floating around) bugged me somewhat, but I’m more prepared for that stuff now. I like the added subplot of her cousin (?) running for the Mosque board.

I’m liking this show a lot, overall. I really like that she’s not just a clumsy teenager who’s a superhero, she’s a clumsy teenager who’s a clumsy superhero, and only barely saved that kid.

I think they’re doing a good job of showing Muslim culture without being either disrespectful or kid-gloves about it.

Wow, they actually referenced the Eternals. I thought they were all just going to pretend that whole movie never happened.

they did? where?

When she was talking about favorite bollywood movies with hot guy.

That went RIGHT over my head but… I appreciate it in retrospect.

So (sorry for the tangent) I’m remembering more of what I was thinking of. Guy is a retired, very successful cat burglar. But he is pulled out of retirement to do One Last Job. Turns out that his big secret is that he had some alien tech—a full suit (or maybe just boots) that could be “locked” into an inertial position allowing him to walk across the air from one building to the next. Possibly an issue of Deadpool? Or a TV show.

Yeah. They referenced Kumail Nanjiani and his role as Kingo. I didn’t pick up on it at first, either.

I’d love it if they snuck in a Defenders reference or cameo. Just have her walk past Luke Cage or something. I know he’s busy on Evil, but c’mon!

They missed a chance to mention that he’s on Obi-Wan Kenobi right now. Unless they did, and I missed it.

If they did, I didn’t catch it, either. And none of the YouTube “analysts” that I watched said anything about it.

I think the Amazon Prime animated series “Invincible” was guilty of this. I only found out they had post-credits scenes when I was reading about it somewhere online.

I loved that Kamala swooned over Kingo, but couldn’t understand what her mother saw in Kingo, Sr.