The mini-good deeds/good news thread

Insulation in, next up the drywall. At 71lbs a sheet. Methinks we need to recruit more tall help.

I probably shouldn’t share this one, but it made me laugh. A while ago, I was leaving a store and a very buff looking black guy (I mention his color only because we don’t have a lot of blacks out here. we do have TV), was standing by the open hood of his car and frowning.

When I asked him what was wrong, he said that he had been in the sandbox and his car had been stored, so he wasn’t sure what was wrong. His lights didn’t work, so I asked if he had jumper cables and which side his battery was. No cables, but I had some, so I handed them to him and jumped in my truck to open the hood. He gave me a “deer in the headlights” look and told me that he didn’t know how to use them.

I got his car started and made him sit in the parking lot long enough to be able to tell that the battery was charging enough to get him to a store for a new battery.

I had much glee helping a Marine jump start his car.

One of the female feral cats I’ve been trying to TNR* finally showed up the night before a spay-a-thon. So, I popped her into a carrier and delivered her to the TNR rep. Turns out, kitty was a few weeks pregnant; but not any more. Yippee! Another unneeded/unwanted litter averted!

*Trap-neuter-release

Linky no worky.

Last September, my husband drew my attention to a cat slouching on the sidewalk near our home. I hadn’t noticed the cat, but when I had a better look, I noticed my husband was right. There was something strange about the animal. For starters, he was of a long haired breed, but his fur was matted and mangy looking. He was emaciated. We had not seen him before, he didn’t live around. And he walked on the street side, not on the garden side of our street where pets usually roam. And he was just beat. Not alert, not skittish, as cats usually are. This one was just too tired.

My husband, who is much more patient then I am, managed to lure the cat inside using some cat food as bait.

Meanwhile, I went online and checked the websites for lost pets. Sure enough, we found an ad for that same cat, that had been missing for several weeks from across town. The rescue shelter came for him within an hour or so and they reunited him with his owner the next day.

Here’s Ulfreida’s Rubber Boa.

And I get to start my day with an (exceedingly mini) Good Deed :slight_smile:

thanks!

When I’m in the dining room at work, I find stuff all the time, and take it off to the lost-and-found. Somr work out really well. Once I found a binder full of papers, that turned out to belong to a single mom who was just getting into a sales job and didn’t want to lose all her training stuff. Another time a customer noticed a pair of shoes under a chair, which a fellow employee had ordered through work. Both were grateful for the rescue!

I wish I got out of the house more because I don’t have many opportunities for doing good deeds. But, I did get to do one 2 weeks ago.
I was at the grocery store. We have two in town. One is chain. The other is a family owned store. We try to shop at the smaller store as often as possible to help a local family business.

Anyway, this time I happened to glance into a freezer case full of pork butts (big pork butts, like 10-20 pound butts). I noticed that the price sign had the per pound price listed as the per butt price. I wanted to save them the hassle of a pissed off shopper who wanted to buy a butt for $1.10 (or whatever it was). So, I brought the signs to the service desk and explained the problem. A few minutes later, the guy from the service desk was talking to the guy in the meat department and the signs were fixed.

Last night I was coming home from dinner with a friend and saw two young women (early 20s I’m guessing) struggling to carry a sofa down the road. I asked if they wanted any help and they said that they’d be very grateful if it wasn’t too much trouble. It wasn’t that far to their flat where they were taking the sofa, the three of us took only a few minutes to get there (them on one end, me - the gym going guy - on the other) and they kept saying “oh it’s okay, you’ve done enough now” but I kept insisting it was no trouble and given we’d come that far might as well get it into their flat. Again they were quite glad as the end of the journey involved steps and hauling it over a steep front door entry step too.

Feels nice to help people :slight_smile:

Many uplifting good-deed tales here.

I, too, especially loved the earth snake story. If I see a snake or a turtle in the road, I always stop and assist them to the side they were headed for. Don’t know if I’m really helping much, but it makes me feel better.

A friend and I hare about 80% through fixing a mutual friend’s dryer. We have it all cleaned out and put back together, but something is blocking the air flow…so it’s getting really hot. It got to be too late, so we stopped for the evening. But we’ll get going.
-D/a

I started a new job 3 weeks ago, a sort of temp-to-hire.

Most of what the client wants makes sense, and we’ve been given permission, nay, ordered, to poke holes into The Plans and propose any improvements; so far all the improvements I have proposed have either been approved or gone to the “must check with Business” list, yay. My immediate coworker is nice and smart. Our boss is a nice guy; he’s a bit spazzy but we’re blaming it on his second kid… the one his wife gave birth to Saturday before last :slight_smile: mother and baby are all right, big sister is very big-sisterly, dad walks around with that stunned look common to daddies with little, little babies. He’s in paternal leave of sorts: took last week off, will be taking some days off in the next few weeks. Every time someone congratulates him on the baby he gets this lit-up stunned expression which cracks me up :slight_smile:

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa… whoa… whoa… (nod to Family Guy)

Snapping turtles are fast enough to take your finger off if you’re not careful. I helped one to the side many years ago and was amazed how fast they could whip their heads around and bite. I was well back of the little monster’s head when I picked him up and he still almost got me.

I went to one of my local wildlife haunts-you have to cross a small paved dam to get to the nature trails. As I’m walking down the dam I see a local fisherman reeling in…a pelican. After a moment I decided to go help him untangle and unhook the poor thing-I held onto its bill while he got the line and the hook free. After I let go of his beak (it contains a very sharp point so you have to be careful) it flew around a bit unsteadily until landing on a nearby pier to preen itself.

My good news item is that Kesha’s new album comes out in a couple of months!

Mine seems a little petty after the animal rescue ones, but I gave money toward a teenager’s fnueral. He died suddenly and unexpectedly. The thought of the parents struggling to pay for a funeral on top of the loss of their child just sends chills up my spine.

Some of my extended family (second cousins) lived through an F4 tornado a couple weeks ago in Henryville, IN. EVERYONE in the family has been sending money, as well as several churches, thanks to Facebook getting the word out. Their house didn’t have a basement. The WHOLE THING was picked up and dropped with them inside of it–literally only scraps were left, but somehow my cousin, his wife, and their 3 young kids all survived it (mom and dad both need multiple surgeries, and one of the boys broke his back). And as if the tornado weren’t bad enough, baseball-sized hail started coming down afterward. So dad, despite having 2 punctured lungs and fractures to practically every rib, found a 6-foot piece of drywall (the biggest scrap of house remaining). They all put their heads underneath of it until the storm finally passed.

But they’re recovering like champs, and uploading pictures and videos as they make progress. Here’s one of my cousin’s kids the day after the tornado (the boy in the middle escaped without a scratch, somehow!). And here’s one of my cousin and his wife on the next day. She got the worst injuries, including a shattered pelvis and 2 punctured lungs, but lived to tell the tale. Here they are now, doing much better. :slight_smile:

Jeez! :eek: And I think I had a rough day!

I save up all my quarters. Every month I take 'em to the bank to go into my checking account and make a small donation to Smile Train, Humane Association, or SPCA. They’re small amounts, but steady.

Yes, I’m familiar with snapping turtles. I generally don’t see them in roads, though. I was refering to the harmless box turtles that often try to cross roads around here and especially in the Smokies.