The "Misheard Lyrics" Thread

What, it’s not “Summer of 69”, by Bryan Adams

“I had my first real sex dream…”
:smiley:

“Standing on your mother’s corpse…
You told me that you’d wait forever…”

falls off chair, rolls under desk

The person who coined the term had misheard a traditional Scottish folk tune. She went through her life lamenting the destiny of Lady Mondegreen in the line “They had slain the Earl of Mornay and Lady Mondegreen.” In her 20s, she heard the corrected version, which, instead of bemoaning the fate of Lady Mondegreen, instead described the continuing plight of the Earl: “They had slain the Earl of Mornay and laid him on the Green.”

Yes… actually.

According to the author of “Scuse me while I kiss this guy and other misheard lyrics”, “Mondegreen” is a reference to the very first or more likely one of the first misheard lyrics that went something along the lines of, “and laid him on the green”, but was misinterpereted as “Lady Mondegreen”.

If someone has the book and could provide the full text… well… that’ be great. :slight_smile:

You guys are cracking me up. Thanks for the lyrics, guess I could have looked those up myself now that I think of it.

Killer Queen by Queen

She keeps 'em all in a shovel, in a pretty cabinet

She keeps Moet et Chandon in a pretty cabinet

Oh, it’d been forever since I’d been to Kiss This Guy… good thing I’m alone in the office, 'cause this sent me into convulsions:

Lucy’s getting high with Linus

-BK

Damn! I’ve given, like, TEN of those things away as gifts, but never kept one for myself.

Hey, trishdish… still got the one I gave YOU? :smiley:

Anyway, thanks! Interesting… but if that’s the history behind it, why not call it a “Kissthisguy”, or a “Likeadouche”? :wink:

The Beach Boys, “Help Me Rhonda.”

“Well since you put me down, there’ve been owls puking in my bed.”

(Correct lyrics, I believe are, “I’ve been out of tuen in my head.”

Hahahahaha! Whew… wiping tears and dust mites from face

That’s a good one… but I’m still in love with Winnowill’s brother. :smiley:

Falling For You, Weezer:

“Holy sweet goddamn! You left your cello in the basement” was sung as “Holy sweet goddamn! You’re eating jello in the basement” by an embarassed friend of mine. No, really, it was a friend! I’m not that stupid! :slight_smile:

'Cause the term was coined in the '50s before any of those songs were released.

I don’t think he’d be pleased to know that I posted his Mondegreens on a public message board. :wink: But I’ll let him know someone’s in love with him.

When I was a kid, I was convinced the song “Shock the Monkey” by Peter Gabriel was about a monkey named Jacques. :o

From Elton John’s “Tiny Dancer”:

What I thought was (something like) "Baby darlin’, she’s so blend-in…"

was really: "Lay me down in sheets of linen…"

Two thoughts console me over this decade-long Mondegreen of mine:

1. Elton John has some really weird inflections, and;

2. At least I never thought he was singing “Hold me closer, Tony Danza!” :smiley:

How about “the girl with colitis goes by (the girl with kaliedoscope eyes)”?

Bump bump bump

Lucy getting high
with Linus
Lucy getting high
with Linus
Lucy getting high
with Linus

Ooooooooh oooooooohhhhhh…

Oooh- here’s my Queen contribution - Headlong
** “Anti-Russian hand logs” ** --> ** “And you’re rushing headlong” **

And some others…

From Green Day - Good Riddance
** “tattoos and elephants in Danskins on trial” **–> ** “Tattoos of memories And dead skin on trial” **

Van Halen - I’ll Wait
** “I’m coming; staple your heart”** --> ** “I’m coming straight for your heart.”**

From my mother-in-law:

** “Do the Calculator”** --> ** “Dude Looks Like a Lady”**
** “Six seven eight”** —> ** “Sixth Avenue Heartache”**

SexyWriter, I just about died when I saw your lyric! :slight_smile:

When I first heard AC/DC’s “Dirty Deeds, Done Dirt Cheap”, I thought they were saying “Dirty Deeds – Guns are cheap”

Sometimes I know the lyrics, but like to make up my own, not quite a parody, but it makes singing along that much more fun.

My favorite is “Jet Airliner” by Steve Miller. I like to sing “Big Ol’ Jed at a lineup” instead.

Or, with Honeymoon Suite’s “New Girl Now”, I like to sing “I’ve got a new Grill now and we can Barbeque” instead of “I’ve got a new girl now and she’s alot like you”.

And, since I haven’t seen it listed, what IS the lyric for the Stevie Nicks song? I’ve always thought it was One Winged Dove, too. Never made any sense, but I figured there was probably some reference to being crippled in some manner…:slight_smile:

In “Beautiful Girls” by Van Halen, why does David Lee Roth yell “Arie Luyendyk!” near the end?

Stolen from an SNL skit: Robert Plant can clearly be heard stating “The Jew will bother you a lot”, but the official lyrics have him saying “The tune will come to you at last”. Yeah, right.

Is that the same lyric “And there’s a wino down the road” comes from? :smiley:

“One Winged Dove” = “WHITE Winged Dove”

There’s a Green Day song (very popular) with a lyric that I know I’ve gotten wrong, but I don’t like the song enough to find out what the true lyric is. It’s something like “sewed donuts on my door.” Anyone? Anyone?

And I always heard “We are the renegades of funk” as something I can’t say in MPSIMS.

Instead of “Hey, you, get off of my cloud” (Rolling Stones) I heard: “Hey, you, get off of my spouse!”

Can anyone give me the link to the site discussed?

http://www.kissthisguy.com