The "Misheard Lyrics" Thread

Why is it that 30 seconds at any “Misheard Lyrics” website never fails to have me balled up and rolling amongst the dust kitties under my desk, chortling, gasping and weeping into a mass of electicrical cords?

At any rate, I’m reminded of it today because on my way back from a trip to the Burger King drive-thru for French Toastix, I heard Stevie Nicks’ “Edge of Seventeen,” and I don’t care HOW long I’ve known the truth, I still can’t stop singing it like I did when I was 12:

“Just like a ONE-WINGED dove…”

Hey, it makes perfect sense to ME… :smiley:

Ditto for Steely Dan’s “I Got The News”:

“How was I to know
'bout the warm SOFA SLEEPERS
you’ve been keepin for ye-ahhhs…”

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I’m crackin’ up over here. I guess it’s good to be self-entertaining…

You mean it’s not?

Well, now, it could be one of those situations where Stevie was out of her mind on blow, and really DID write/sing those lyrics, but the record execs forced a change in the liner notes to hide Stevie’s little “problem”.

My mom (who apparently only recently heard the song, and wondered WHAT DID THEY JUST SAY…?), is convinced that Manfred Mann deliberately sang “Blinded by the Light” so that it would be widely misinterpreted as something to do with feminine hygiene products.

Yeah, he must have been partying with Stevie that night… :stuck_out_tongue:

My favorites still being:

REM - Orange Crush
We are ancient Sophocles…/We are agents of the free…

Berlin - Metro
You were there swimming through a pile of cheese./You were there swimming through apologies.

Oh and just in case you didn’t know. Misheard Lyrics are commonly referred to as “Mondegreens”. Just fyi.

[10000 Maniacs]
C’mon now
try to understand
the way I feel
I’m the Orkin Man (under your command)
[/10000 Maniacs]

Thanks Simetra…I knew you couldn’t swim through cheese.

OK so what are the real lyrics to Blinded by the light?

For several months I thought the name of the Metallica song was “Froom the belt holes” (yeah, I know “froom” isn’t a word) til I realized that it was the same title as the Hemingway work.

And I thought it was “one-winged dove” til reading this thread:o

Lucy in disguise with diamonds.

wanders through thread, singin’ a song…

“She’s got electric boobs
and mohair shoes
and abadapaalabalabaLEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, oh hooooooh,
B-B-B-Bennie and the Jets”…

Supposedly, it goes:

Revved up like a deuce
Another runner in the night
I have no idea what a “deuce” is supposed to be, though. Unless it’s like “Little Deuce Coupe”? Yeah, that must be it.

'Scuse me while I kiss this guy

My brother was the King of Mondegreens as a child (which may very well be why he never sings when anyone can hear him any more).

His better gems:

Toto - Africa - “That’s more than a hundred men from Mars could ever do.” (Real lyric - “That’s more than a hundred men or more could ever do.”)

Men at Work - Down Under - “You better run, you better take the bus.” (Real lyric - “You better run, you better take cover.”)

Alabama - She’s Good Enough for Me (at least, I think that’s the title) - “Now, she’s too old to wet her pants two times.” (Real lyric - “Now, she’s been known to wear her pants too tight.”)

I may be back with more if I remember them.

I just explained this to my paralegal the other day. . .small world, ain’t it?

The lyrics are:

Blinded by the light
Revved up like a deuce, another runner in the night. . .

A “deuce” is a hotrod based on a ‘32 Ford V-8 engine and/or frame. Like the Beach Boys’ “Little Deuce Coupe” for example.

Zap!

Head East: “Shave my wife, goin down for the last time”–“Save my life…”

CCR: “There’s a bathroom on the right”–“There’s a bad moon on the rise”

Just in case you were curious:

BLINDED BY THE LIGHT
Bruce Springsteen-Zomba Music Publ.Ltd.
Blinded by the light
Revved up like a Deuce
[repeat to fade]

Madman drummers bummers Indians in the summer with a teenage diplomat
In the dumps with the mumps as the adolescent pumps his way in to his hat
With a boulder on my shoulder feeling kinda’ older I tripped the merry go round
With this very unpleasing sneezing and wheezing the calliope crashed to the ground

The calliope crashed to the ground and she was blinded by the light,
revved up like a deuce, another runner in the night.

Blinded by the light
Revved up like a Deuce
[repeat to fade]

Some silicone sister with her manager mister told me I got what it takes
She said I’ll turn you on sonny to something strong play the song with the funky break
And go kart Mozart was checkin’ out the weather chart see if it was safe outside
And little Early Pearly came by in his curly wurly and asked me if I needed a ride

Asked me if I needed a ride
And she was blinded by the light
Revved up like a deuce

Blinded by the light
She got down but she never got tight
She’s gonna make it through the night
She’s gonna make it through the night

Mama always told me not to look into the eyes of the sun, but mama
That’s where the fun is

Some brimstone baritone anti cyclone rolling stone preacher from the east
Says Dethrone the Dictaphone hit it in his funny bone and that’s where they expect it least
And some new mown chaperone was standing in
The corner watching the young girls dance
And some fresh sewn moonstone was messing with his frozen zone reminding him of romance

The calliope crashed to the ground
And she was blinded by the light
revved up like a deuce

Blinded by the light
Revved up like a Deuce
[repeat to fade]

Scott with a slingshot finally found a tender spot and throws his lover in the sand
and some bloodshot forget me not his daddy’s within earshot save the buckshot turn up the band.

She got down but she never got tight she’s gonna’ make it through the night~~
It still makes no sense

You already know that I cry whenever I read misheard lyrics. I can’t even go to that site anymore.

My question is why whenever I hear a lyric and sing it incorrectly, my misheard lyric has something to do with food?

For instance, that song “let the bodies hit the floor, let the bodies hit the floor”, I sing as “let the pies hit the floor”.

And my favorite misheard lyric is that terrible Jefferson Starship song “We built this city on rock and roll” as instead “we built this city on the wrong damn road!”

Thanks, but… any idea why, or where the name came from? It IS fun to say, but is it like a pun or something on some common turn of phrase?

For some reason I always heard “We Are The Renegades Of Funk” as “we are the redneck geeks of funk” and giggled myself silly.

Bruce, Stevie, and Manfred… partying 'til dawn. :smiley:

Seriously, though, this might get me flamed to hell, but I was never a big Springsteen fan until I read those lyrics (can’t remember where, now)…

OK, I’m still not a FAN, but I think of him as somewhat interesting and creative now, as opposed to a big, erm, less-than-witty lug with an underbite.

ducking flames from Springsteen fans