The mod note in the bikini thread

Did you read the post that started this? This is the comment in question:

“It would be awful if in protest to that sentiment women started posting pictures of their barely clad selves. That would be a really good way for them to get back at me so I hope they don’t do it.”

Where is the creepy? Keep in mind the whole thing is a pushback against a medical journal saying these women were unprofessional posing in bikinis on social media.

So, you have women dressing in bikinis, posing for a picture and posting it to social media and you are upset that a man comments that he likes that in a thread about that very topic? In a mild way too in this case.

You’re right. And if a woman is in her backyard sunbathing and some creep is taking pics I am with you all the way. But that did not happen here. These women posted their pictures to public (read that again) websites. I find it hard for someone to complain about comments they receive when they place themselves in a public forum by their own choice. What’s more, they actively defend that choice.

If they do not want creeps commenting that they like women in bikinis posting publicly then they should not dress in bikinis and post publicly. And who made you the moral cop to decide this for them or decide that someone seeing the picture must remain silent?

There’s that word again. I don’t think it means what you think it means. You and others here like using it as a cudgel. Unfortunately, you wield it with such abandon and no regard for meaning it has lost power.

“Everyone else knows”? Really? The arrogance in that statement is astonishing.

What was said is really not that creepy in the context where it was given. Context matters.

We are not all going to hide in the basement or wear burkas in order not to be creeped on.

Women exist. Women’s bodies exist. Women are entitled to be out in public, whether in person or virtually, wearing what we damn please and no it is not for your amusement.

What else I would be inclined to say here would have to go in the Pit.

It’s not a nitpick and I know you are smart enough to know it. Your usage there is miles away from what the word means. Using it here is the worst kind of political correctness.

It’s your and the other moderators board to run as you see fit but I am surprised if you think that is the way.

I agree 100% with your goals. I disagree with how you have seen fit to implement those goals. (see the incoming “we don’t care what you think”).

Context matters and I think you lost the context on this one.

What was creepy about what was said that started all of this?

That has been explained, in this thread, and for that matter to the satisfaction of the person who made that post.

I’ll ask you again…

What was creepy, to you, about that post in the thread that prompted all of this discussion?

I am interested in what you think about this. Not someone else.

I am not interested in spending the rest of my evening attempting to explain to you again what has already been explained.

If it had been explained I am sure you could have done a cut-and-paste with a few seconds of effort. I am not seeing what you are seeing in the stuff that has already been posted.

I’m willing to bet if you had something good to skewer me with you’d have done so. Since you didn’t I’m going with you have no response beyond your feels.

But anyone respond: BigT, engineer comp geek, Babale, BippityBoppityBoo…please tell me. What was creepy in that post?

Thank you for the kind help. I am working at being worthy of the board. It’s taking longer than I thought😏

It’s new to all of us. We’re all still figuring it out. :slight_smile:

This.

What the actual fuck? The whole thing you quoted is “the creepy”. It is an entire quote that leers on the page.

As you entirely fucking well acknowledge yourself (my emphasis):

If they do not want creeps commenting that they like women in bikinis posting publicly then they should not dress in bikinis and post publicly.

What does that have to do with anything?

I was asked why I thought I knew how the SDMB worked.

Oh, ok, an appeal to antiquity.

And once again…an assertion with no explanation. It is because you say it is. That is the extent of your argument.

Dude. This is not Great fucking Debates. I’m not making a debate point that requires citations and explanations. And I’m not playing your stupid game. It’s creepy because it is. Even the person who posted it acknowledges it was wrong to post it.

And you yourself acknowledged it is what creeps do. So don’t come now with crap about assertions without explanation. Your own post, that I quoted with emphasis, acknowledges the creep-factor. So I can only assume this “Beep. Boop. What is Creepy? EXPLAIN!!!” act is just some kind of theatre. I have no idea who your audience is, though. Maybe @discobot?

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @discobot display help.

it’s creepy because you are making the pictures all about you and your sexual gratification (sarcastically or not). No one wants to hear about how excited you are for the number of risqué photos out there to rise. Especially not women taking normal photos in swimwear that you characterize as “sexy”. Some of them might be deliberately provocative but the majority of the photos in the article you linked aren’t. They’re women on vacation, at the beach, by a waterfall, etc – in swimwear. They’re not wearing swimwear so you can get a boner and tell us about it. They’re wearing it because they’re in a place thats hot and they expect to get wet. That you feel the need to shove your libido (again. Sarcastically or not, it really doesn’t matter) into the subject IS CREEPY. End of story.

@discobot what is creepy?