The Monkees?

Except, unlike the Monkees, they haven’t won an Emmy yet. :frowning:

Part of the problem was that he was usually stuck with the novelty/“Ringo” songs. In the Greatest Hits collection that was released with the band’s reunion tour, they managed to assemble 25 songs but not one with PT singing lead.

Speaking of Monkees, touring, etc., is it true that Jimi Hendrix’ first US tour was opening for the Monkees? Or is that an urban legend?

It’s true. Bizarre, but true.

People have mentioned Nesmith and Tork’s abilities, but Mickey is hugely underrated as a singer, IMO. He also wrote one of The Monkees’ best songs (“Randy Scouse Git”) and did an incredible job singing “Goin’ Down” (which all 4 Monkees contributed songwriting to).

Probably not something I should be admitting to, but I saw the Monkees in concert in July 1967, in Philadelphia (and just missed seeing Hendrix as their lead-in, apparently). They actually did play and sounded pretty good … well, to a fan girl, that is. :wink:

Actually, as I’ve mentioned elsewhere, both Micky Dolenz and Peter Tork are credited with the lead vocals on “Words.” Micky did most of the heavy lifting in that song, but Peter did a darned fine job as well.

The Jimi Hendrix Experience toured with the Monkees, briefly, and Jimi’s drummer, Mitch Mitchell, sized up the Monkees thus:

“We all assumed the Monkees were frauds, but we found out that Michael Nesmith really was really a very good banjo player, and Peter Tork was really a very good guitarist, and Micky Dolenz was really a… heck of a nice guy.”

The only person Mitch slammed was Davy Jones, whom he regarded as an utter wanker.

Saw them in MI on their first reunion tour (sans Mike) in the mid 80’s.

I THINK that Paul Revere and the Raiders and Herman’s Hermits were also on the bill.

I recall Peter Tork (on the show at least) singing lead on the song “Shades of Gray.” His voice was actually perfect for that song, since it was the most innocent and unpolished sounding of the four.

That reminds me of something, and I bet you know this … I can recall an episode of The Monkees in which the closing bit was almost like a video. That is, it wasn’t part of any story; it was just “thanks for watching, here are The Monkees doing a song.”

They were sort of sitting around what might have been a studio, wearing their best Summer of Love panchos and the song was this psuedo-Indian-raga-tabla-jingly-jangly thing that Dolenz sang … and it was friggin’ awesome.

Any clue what that one was? One of the ones you already mentioned?

I saw Peter Tork in 2000 at the Clearwater Festival on Sandy Hook, NJ. He was one of the big name acts which should tell you that this is not a hugely popular festival. He was pretty good and hung out for a while that night. A bunch of us that helped run the festival were hanging drinking beers and he joined us for a while.

He seemed to be a very down to earth guy. My sister who was one of his fans was pissed at me that I got to talk to him but I think he was happy that no one was treating him as anything more than another folk musician that performed. There was at least 4 other performers also hanging out around the pick-up truck of beer.

So I guess it is fair to say his post Monkees career has not been very successful but he is a credible musician.

I don’t remember them doing it on an episode of the show, but it sounds like “Do Not Ask For Love” (originally titled “Prithee”, I believe). That’s the only Tork/raga song I know.

Cool. I’ll have to search for that.

This is what I love about this place. I haven’t thought of that song in a decade, and now I have something to blow my I-Tunes gift card on.

It’s the song used for the Tork solo spot in 33 1/3 Revolutions Per Monkee.

I think you are talking about Randy Scouse Git. It has Micky scatting in the middle.

I have gone on the record here numerous times singing the praises of The Monkees. I am a huge fan and have been ever since I was a child. Micky’s vocals are still awesome (I saw him in concert last January) and was like an angel singing back in the day. To me, they remain one of the most underappreciated bands of all time.

OTOH, their movie making capabilities aren’t so great. (TCM played it a couple months ago so the horror is fresh in my mind. And I like cheesy 60s movies.)

Oh, and one listen to Riu Chiu will make you know exactly how good all their vocals were.

It happened right in my home town.

Did Micky play a kettle drum? Then it’s “Randy Scouse Git”

Maybe. I’ll have to look into it. I probably haven’t seen it in a decade, but it’s always been in the back of my mind as something that put Dolenz up a few notches in my book.

I just could have sworn it was some tabla / sitar infused raga kind of thing, with Dolenz almost chanting nonsense, or possibly something in a language I don’t know … very Sgt. Pepper-ish.

Mickey (its loud) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URb8h4dLKps

Mike http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRWTz3zY1WY

both talented.