The Monkees?

Mickey Dolenz has very good genes.

My big reason for doubting this claim is I’m a Believer: My Life of Monkees, Music, and Madness by Micky Dolenz and Mark Bego. It doesn’t even contain the words pre-fab four. You’d think that if Dolenz coined the phrase he’d have mentioned it.

I did some Googling and found nothing. Even obsessive fan sites like Monkees Utopia ask if anyone knows who coined the phrase.

Heh. We could ask the all-knowing Cecil.

I think it’s more likely that he married someone with great genetics.

Actually, that’s the last one that was aired. If that episode is to be believed, they’re continuing to churn out new shows. It’s just that none of the rest of them have hit the airwaves.

I have the DVDs. In the commentary, Tork says he wasn’t playing. They never gave him time to learn the harp, but he thought he could have.

Tork did write the piano introduction to “Daydream Believer” and played a kick-ass banjo part on “You Told Me.”

I actually saw him in a bar in the Philadelphia airport a few years back. He seemed quite drunk. I understand this isn’t unusual (he’s been arrested for DWI and had a nasty habit of showing up drunk for interviews for a while, though this was years ago so perhaps he’s changed).

I was surprised to learn that they got something like $500 per episode of the show. The tours and record royalties would have been far more than that of course, but it’s hard to believe they got that little for primetime TV even in the mid 1960s (though I think that’s about what Adam West got as well come to think of it, and Max Baer/Jethro in the first couple of seasons of BEVERLY HILLBILLIES).

The absence of any mention of it in the Dolenz book does make me doubt my now lost source. I sent the question to Cecil.

Ami’s mother is Samatha Juste a professional model. You can see where she got her looks from.

Not worth it’s own thread, but worth bumping since it was in today’s news and it’s been less than a week since the last post:

Peter Tork has a rare form of cancer. Prognosis is guardedly optimistic though. (Hard to believe a Monkee is 67.)

In googling for it I also found an interview with Dolenztoday. His talking about his ‘concert’ reminds me of an older version of Hugh Grant’s character in MUSIC & LYRICS.

Then there’s THIS.

Head is one of my favorite movies. It’s psychedilc, has some great music/video moments, and is prolly the greatest “nowhere” plot ever put to celluloid.

Ditto.
ftg, I don’t know that you’ll find much support- it’s a pretty highly regarded movie. You’ll find some people who will agree with you that it was bad, but those of us who like it LOVE it- and not just for kitsch or nostalgia.

Great movie.

“Boys, don’t never, BUT NEVER, make fun of no cripples.”

Yes, his character was based on a real-life phenomenon. I remember seeing the Ramones at a family amusement park in the early 1990s.

They certainly got very little in ASCAP payments. Only Mike Nesmeth wrote songs, so when a radio station played their songs, they got nothing. Neal Diamond and Boyce and Hart made out just fine, though.

Googling around for this thread I was surprised by recent photos of Michael Nesmith.

Yeah, where’s his wool hat?

He looks like he should be up for confirmation for something. Or else have the power to blow up a building Bruce Willis is trapped in if the ransom isn’t paid.

Sweeping the independent film circuit this year: Michael Nesmith stars in “The Jeffrey Jones Story.”

Mike, we love you; but don’t ever look at people like that.

I actually got to watch them shoot a scene of the TV show way back when. My sister was married at the time to an actor who had just finished a guest shot on Bewitched. He took us on a true behind-the-scenes tour of Universal and I got to hug Elizabeth Montgomery and see the Monkees. At age 17, this was beyond cool.

Ah, but when they film the Life of L Ron Hubbard he is a natural for the lead.