The mother ship is coming. Run like hell or welcome them with open arms?

Meh, the way I see it: Death by nefarious aliens aint such a bad way to go. So I say, “welcome them with open arms.”

(BTW: I intentionaly left this poll black or white. I know there is a lot of room for in between. The real jist of this thread is “are you scared?” or “Are you excited?”)

Welcome them with open arms … OF HELL!

Ain’t nothin’ but a party, y’all. Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip, and come on up to the Mothership.

(BTW, if you hear any noise, it’s just me and the boys hittin’ it.)

Well, the very fact that they’re here shows that they could crush us like bugs if they had a mind to, whether we run or not. But it also indicates that they probably have no reason to do that. So, watch and wait for them to make the first move, I guess. But if I must make a binary choice, I guess I would say welcome them. What could go wrong? :o

Also looks like you got an extra ‘l’ in your first poll option there. You wouldn’t happen to be Elvish, would you?

And an extra “h”.

He’s stockpiling them due to recent events.

To the OP - I’m cautiously optimistic, and would like to make some first contact.

Welcome them, not because I’m particularly happy to see them (although I’m certainly curious), but because if they want me dead I don’t see the point in dying tired.

Let someone else welcome them.

Welcome them. They’re way more technically advanced than us to get here. Wouldn’t it be amazingly interesting if we could actually communicate with another sentient species? And why on Earth would they want to kill us? Bring 'em on. I’ll be in the front row of the welcoming party!

I’ll probably be eaten by some horrible, slavering, acid-for-spit bug-alien, but I’ve always been a bit of a nut about space travel, “we’re not alone” and all that rot. Sooooo…open arms it is.

You forgot – stay away and watch it all on TV.

Have you seen our society, why would any intelligent lifeform want to talk to us? If they show up they either plan to protect the galaxy from us ever getting off our rock or they are insane thus should be avoided.

Yep, running won’t do much good if they can cross galaxies but I want to be the last one alive if things go wrong. I mean how can I resist the chance to say “But I’m the last man on Earth. Don’t you want to save the species?” I’m ok with missing out on the first wave of enlightenment if they’re friendly.

Open arms, definitely. They were supposed to come back for me six years ago.

So we can teach them about this emotion we hu-mons call “love”?

Nd-Nd: And what is this emotion you humans call “wuv”?
Lrrr: Surely it says “love”.
Nd-Nd: No, “wuv”, with an Earth W. Behold.
Lrrr: This concept of wuv confuses and infuriates us!

Personally I’d welcome them with open arms and pants and sex up the first one I could reasonably determine might possibly be female.

I wanna go into space! I wanna go into space! Pick me! Pick me! You can even eat me, after, I don’t care.

I’d start with open arms.

Much easier to go from open arms to running like hell or trying to nuke them than the other way around.

Sigh. You forgot Option #3, aka Oak’s Gambit: Lock & load, but otherwise be friendly unless or until they make a false move. If they do make a false move, you likely have the rest of your life to figure out how to kill them. You either save the planet, or earn a ticket to Valhalla. Win-Win.

Another one for Oak’s Gambit. It’s best to be outwardly friendly, because, hey, if they’re cool, they’re cool. But, you know, I’ve sat through enough American history to know that the arrival of big ships with a more technologically advanced group driving them isn’t a really good sign, historically speaking.

And, no, the idea that if they wanted to kill us with a thought, they could, so why fight doesn’t fly with me. If they can, so be it; my last act will be kicking and screaming in defiance.

Or possibly getting laid. I am human.

Kill them and eat them. How else are we supposed to absorb their mana?