The Muppets!

Okay, this doesn’t open until tomorrow but I’ve already purchased tickets for myself, my 5- and 7- year old children, and my 73- and 69- year old parents to the 10 AM show. This is my most looked-forward-to movie of the holidays for sure.

And as of right now it’s Rotten Tomatoes score is 100%. That’s sure to go down as more reviews come in but the early reviews are all positive.

It’s time to play the music
It’s time to light the lights…

Anyone else planning to see it over the holiday?

Our family is planning to see it. I live in fear that it may not live up to my expectations though. I grew up with the others and loved them all (except Muppets From Space. Wish they didn’t make that one.)

I already promised my nephew I’d take him since we enjoy watching the dvds I have together so much. Really hope it lives up to its promise. We won’t be going till next weekend though.

I think my mom and I are going to see it Friday. I’m 32 :slight_smile:

I saw it last week.

I’m not a huge fan of the Muppets. They were part of my childhood and I didn’t hate them. I just don’t have a big emotional bond with them.

If you love the Muppets I think there’s a good chance you’ll love the movie. It is in no way a violation of what they’ve been (I have feared it getting a post-modern ironic treatment and a lot of fart jokes).

It is a pure nostalgia play. And it does that very well. But as someone who doesn’t have much nostalgia for the Muppet Show (and it is very focused on that show) I enjoyed it but it was just a pleasant experience and not much more.

Love, love, love this. I hope to see it sometime this weekend with the kids. I love the new version of the theme song by OK Go, and we’ve been eagerly anticipating this.

I’m a big Muppet fan and I will definitely see it, even if that means I have to go with my parents.

I did find one thing interesting.

I saw this at a promotional screening. I’ve been to many family movie promotional screenings and it is not uncommon for the theater to be full of young kids (even for a school night screening).

This one was decidedly lacking in children in attendance. Could be a fluke, but I do wonder at the level of interest among kids (and the parents of kids) who probably haven’t had much exposure to non-Sesame Street muppets.

That’s a good point, obfusciatrist. The Muppets haven’t been on TV in decades and haven’t even had a movie release since the aforementioned and forgettable Muppets In Space in 1998(?) - years before my kids were born. They’ve seen Space and were underwhelmed, but I rented the original Muppet Movie and they loved it. They also liked the Bohemian Rhapsody video on YouTube.

So I’m confident they will enjoy this movie, but they certainly don’t have the emotional bond that people who are 25-35 years older would. I kind of hope this movie starts to re-establish them with old and new fans (which I understand is kind of the meta-plot of the movie).

The Muppets also have (a hilarious) 3D show in both Disneyland and Disneyworld, which is another way kids may be familiar with them.

We’re on vacation at Disneyland this week. We plan to see it at the cinema in Downtown Disney after dinner Thursday.

If you’re going to California Adventure too, make sure to check out Muppets 3D (though it may remind you that Kermit sounds ever so slightly different now…)

That must explain this.

So far, the reviews look pretty good. I loved the Muppet Show and Muppet Movie way back when and I’m looking forward to seeing this one as well.
http://www.efilmcritic.com/review.php?movie=20943&reviewer=389

I saw it in a packed theater with adults and children and everybody loved it. Original fans won’t be disappointed, but the kids got into it.

Hell, it’s worth the ticket price just for the barbershop quarter version of “Smells Like Teen Spirit” and the all chicken version of “Fuck You” (Bwak You?)

Lily Allen version or Cee-lo Green version?

I loved it. Saw it in a pretty full theater and everyone seemed to have a good time.

Was able to be a fun modern movie, while also being a really fun Muppet Movie. Great stuff all around. I’m used to Whitmire as Kermit. And, whoever was doing the Frank Oz characters was super awesome. Huh. Just looked it up Eric Jacobson. Anyway, he was pretty awesome.

jay jay:
cee-lo green

And the earlier Dave Grohl cameo made the later SLTS even funnier for me.

I think of the “Fuck You” song as “Cluck You.” I think it’s a deliberate pun.

While I liked it overall, it wasn’t my favorite Muppet movie. I don’t know if it’s that I saw the first three as a child and I love them still due to nostalgia or if it really was just a B to their As. It was worth seeing, though, and I’m sure I’ll see it again and again and again when it comes out on DVD.

The Toy Story short wasn’t groundbreaking, but I still laughed a lot. My screening did a trailer for Brave. I had watched it on YouTube, but it really blew me away on the big screen.

I did really like the jokes in The Muppets aimed at the adults, like when Zach Galafi-can’t-spell-it and his friends took off with Jack Black, chanting “King of the hobos!”

Does anyone know if Statler and Waldorf make an appearance?

Yes, they’re in it throughout, making many of their trademark cracks.