The oddities in your music collection

A lot of my collection includes oddities, and juxtiposition doesn’t enter in (I used to keep my records in the order of the last ones played, BTW).

It depends on your definition of oddity. They’re either obscure groups no one’s ever heard of or generally odd music:

Lol Coxhill
Macdonald and Giles
Kak
Renaissance (the original Renaissance, not the one you’re thinking of)
Entire output of the Bonzo Dog Band (U.S. Versions – “Gorilla,” “Urban Spaceman,” “Tadpoles,” “Keynsham,” and “Let’s make Up and Be Friendly”)
Roger Ruskin Spear – “Electric Shocks”
Grimm’s – “Rocking Duck”
Golden Throats I
Don’t Quit Your Day Job Players
Emmitt Rhodes

Boston College irish fiddle festival"My Love Is In America"
Everclears’ two latest
Cat Stevens “Best Of”
Peter Gabriel DeutschesAlbum
Mozart’s Requiem
Gipsy Kings “Volare”
Toy Matinee
Squeeze “Play”
Beatles “Revolver”
Donal Lunny “tribute to Sean O’Riada”
“” “” “Coolfin” wow!
Cocteau Twins “Heaven or Las Vegas”
Gin Blossoms “best of”
CSNY “So Far”
Something Happens “Stuck Together With God’s Glue”
Christy Moore “Live at The Point”
Afro Celt Sound System “Vol.1 Sound Magic”
Moving Hearts “self titled”
Kate Bush “The Sensual World”
Dido “No Angel”
Elliot Smith “xo”
DMB “Live at RedRocks”
The Sundays “reading, writing, and arithmetic”
Ashley MacIsaac “Hi how are you today?”

Oddly enough, I have a line in my quotefile about just such a juxtaposition:

[/quote]

I love alphabetical order – it puts Charles Manson next to Henry Mancini in my record collection.
[/quote]

– Bob

My music collection is ALL oddities. A few of my favorites:

• Ute Lemper sings Kurt Weill
• “Florodora” (the original 1901 cast album)
• They Might Be Giants
• Helen Kane, The Boop-Boop-a-Doop Girl
• Tragedy and Disaster Songs of the 19th century
• Bette Midler Live (1976)
• Janis Joplin’s “Pearl”
• Vivaldi’s “Four Seasons”
• Elizabethan Choral Music
• Libby Holman’s Blues Songs
• The Beatles’ “Abbey Road”

—Does this qualify me as “ecletic” or “schizophrenic?”

I just noticed that in the CD-single section, I
have Laibach’s “Jesus Christ Superstar” next to
Sandra Bernhardt’s “Maniac Supestar.”

Well, my CDs are in (more or less) alphabetical order, and that leads to the following odd combinations

Aerosmith’s “Rocks” next to “The Association’s Greatest Hits”

“Blue Oyster Cult” next to “The Best of Bread”

“The Unicorn” by the Irish Rovers next to Iron Maiden’s “The Number of the Beast”

Bruce Hornsby and the Range’s “The Way It Is” next to “House of Pain”

Faith No More’s “The Real Thing” next to the original Broadway cast recording of “Fiddler on the Roof” (gotta love Zero Mostel!).

Jimi Hendrix’ new box set and the original cast recording of “They’re Playing Our Song”. Led Zeppelin’s box sets and Gary Lewis and the Playboys Greatest Hits. “Best of the Bee Gees” (pre-disco) and most of Rhino’s “Have a Nice Day” series. Gilbert O’Sullivan and Alison Kraus. Cyndi Lauper and Debbie Gibson. Spinal Tap and Yes. Neil Diamond’s box set and Kate Bush.

I always like to say that listening to the compilation tapes I make for the car is like a peek into how my mind works.

You may be frightned now…

Space Ghost’s Musical Barbecue next to Boyz II Men.

Metallica right next to some Gypsy music cd.

Spanish Bullfighting music next to Monty Python.

John Denver’s Greatest hits next to Cake.

No one expects Spanish Bullfighting!

::ducking and running::

That can’t be on CD? I have two or three of his albums, and no one ever recognises him!

Lo Gai Saber - 13th century troubador music next to Velvet Acid Christ’s Calling Ov The Dead.

William Byrd’s Three Masses For Five, Four, and Three Voices next to Rancid’s Let’s Go!

Led Zeppelin I next to Smetana’s great opera Dalibor.

You be the judge.

MR

And this is odd? Sounds perfectly normal to me.

Gotta get Renaissance on CD–my tape is crappy, but is headed for the player this afternoon, anyway. Gotta fix my Bonzos tape, although it is so old and crappy I might as well replace it. Emmitt Rhodes doesn’t get much play so the vinyl that replaced yet another bad tape is looking good.

Renaissance will be replacing “Lost in the Stars” (1985ish Kurt Weill tribute) in the deck. Weill in the original is in the car, although I speak little German.

Spent some of the morning tracking down a CD of Brian Eno’s “Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy).” During the search I found that my Amon Düül LPs are worth some real money, which is more than I can say for Gary Lewis’ greatest hits, which is also resting comfortably in my collection.

How about this for odd: The master disks of the New York Dolls’ first album. Two one-sided acetates with aluminum cores. Plain white sleeves with typed label. Just need to find a Dolls fan with money, which precludes any members of the band.

And the usual Dylan bootlegs and other detritus of the Sixties and Seventies.

I have one Frank Sinatra CD. It’s next to my only Orgy CD.
One day I will return home to a spontaneously flaming cd player.

I scanned this thread, so if someone else said this, I’m flame-bait.

I’ll beat you all. I have Michael Bolton’s “Fool’s Game” on disc. That’s the 80ish hard rock hair band album he did. I also have Michael Boloton, which is a cassette thing of the hair-guy’s early demos.

Then again, to demonstrate my taste, I also have the Billie Holliday Decca box, the 2-disc Chester and Lester (Atkins and Paul), most of Coltrane, and most of Miles.

Oh, and I own most of the pre-bare-faced-Kiss on vinyl.

HA! I’ll see your ‘Fools Game’ and raise you an ‘Aldo Nova’! And to really raise the stakes I’ll also add Wicked Lester (pre-KISS, err…KISS) and Angel!
And who else would have the lack of tast- I mean - cunning to put solo Steve Perry, Nick Lowe, The Champs, Nigel Kennedy, Voivod, Radio Birdman, UFO, Brendan Benson, Jellyfish and Morbid Angel all on the same compilation tape?

These dont really fit as oddities, but I did notice I had Skinny Puppy between Rusted Root and Abbra Moore.

I live with my brother, and he has a jukebox. It’s not a flashy one, but it’s fun. I provided 45’s from my collection. Here are a few:

The Tra La La Song - The Banana Splits
Master and Servant - Depeche Mode
Jolene - Dolly Parton
Lullaby - The Cure
You Spin Me Round - Dead or Alive (a great jukebox song)
Come Undone - Duran Duran
Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep - Mac and Katie Kisson
Running Up That Hill - Kate Bush

I’m currently trying to find Channel Z by the B-52’s to surprise him with. He was going to buy one for $10 (!) but it was English and had the wrong size spindle hole. (Outside of the US, 45’s have the same size hole as LPs.)

I also may surprise him someday with the Ma-na Ma-na song (whatever that’s called.)

By the way, if you know ANYTHING about Mac and Katie Kisson, I’d love to hear it. I have this one 45 from when I was a child, and to say the least it is a baffling song…

Anybody else got the Cowsills? The New Wine Singers? They’re on the shelf under Ray Charles and Neil Diamond and the Fifth Dimension and Iron Butterfly.

I won’t mention the Polka albums my sister gave to my daughter…

[QUOTE]
*Originally posted by dropzone *

How much are the Amon Düül albums worth, out of curiosity? Does that apply to Amon Düül II albums as well?

The first 10 albums om my CD rack, as of 5:20 this morning:

Aqua - Aquarium
Johnny Cash - Murder
Metallica - S&M
Teletubbies - The Album
Dick Dale and His Deltones - King of the Surf Guitar (Greatest Hits)
Pixies - At the BBC
Jimi Hendrix Experience - Electric Ladyland
Jello Biafra and Mojo Nixon - A Prairie Home Invasion
Café Tacuba - Avalacha de Exitos
Robert Johnson - King of the Delta Blues