"The Office", 3/24 OPEN SPOILERS

I don’t mind knowing what was aired on the preview but a few of us do. Why not just put that stuff in a spoiler box just to be polite?

Personally, I could not care less about spoilers.

But if I was as sensitive to them as some appear to be, I would damn sure stay out of any thread that has the potential to upset me in such a way.

Especially considering how easily - I think we all agree - something can be spoiled.

mmm

You’re basically saying that there’s no room for unspoiled discussion about TV shows. The fact that spoiler tags exist proves that this isnt a generally accepted position.

Nice nitpicking. Nice ridiculous nitpicking.

Everyone knows that the “tune in next week bits” often include spoilers. Threads about a show that was just broadcast often mention them. It’s not reasonable to ask that “tune in next week bits” be treated differently than any other content from the broadcast show.

But come, this is just a TV show. Your life isn’t ruined by knowing that Will Ferrell is making a guest appearance–something I also knew long before I saw the “tune in next week bit.”

This is all an absurd tempest in a tea pot.

I thought it was decided that all ‘next week’ discussions had either their own thread, (which I think will just lead to duplicate threads), or spoiler boxes.

I use spoilers a lot in these ‘Office’ threads, and I even go so far to spoiler box the names of the next episodes… It’s not a big deal. Will Ferrell’s arrival has, to my recollection, only been talked about on these boards in it’s own separate thread, and not in the weekly show threads. Yes it was hard to avoid the news, but there are some people here who didn’t know of it upon arrival here. That, and revealing that it’s just an ‘arc’, I consider is TMI.

On topic… Just think that poor Holly will have to look after Michael and her parents. There was one thing that I didn’t like about the episode, and that was Michael’s first plan… It’s amazing that Michael’s still alive they write him to be so stupid.

I’m not sure if this is directed at me, but if it is, read my post again. I’m not arguing that it is not generally accepted; my post started out, in fact, with “Personally…”

(if you were not directing your comment at me, then never mind. :))
mmm

ETA: So…what did y’all think of The Office? :smiley:

I’m not sure if you read my follow-up posts, but I’ll repeat myself. I, personally, do not consider “tune in next week” previews to be spoilers, as they’ve obviously aired. And they’re often repeated ad naseum throughout the week during commercials. But many people avoid them. Hulu-only viewers don’t see them. It is a gray area.

But that’s not the point. Your original statement about “open spoilers in the thread title” was hilariously absurd, because it suggested that ANYTHING about the show, even revealing the plot and details of the finale, would be completely fair game, since the magical “OPEN SPOILERS” has been tagged onto the title. If you think that’s an unfair translation of your original post, then say so.

Absolutely.

Getting back to the episode itself, someone suggested above that the activation of the sprinklers was deliberate in an attempt to emulate Jim’s proposal in the rain. Does everyone agree that Michael or someone else really expected that to happen? Because I can’t imagine that the characters really wanted all of the office furniture, computers and files to get wet just for that reason.

I think they meant the writers attempt to emulate Jim’s proposal in the rain, which I’m still not sure about.

I don’t think that they intended for the sprinklers to go off. Everyone looked surprised. It was supposed to be serendipity.

I was just wondering where all the candles came from.

I wondered the same in Friends when spoiler proposed to spoiler after spoiler almost spoiler

PROPOSED??? There was a proposal on Friends??? OMFG WHY DIDN’T YOU SPOILER THAT???

I thought the candles came from Michael buying Jan’s inventory off her since he’s a schmuck like that. No?

I LOLed.

No to mention, the water that sits in the pipes for sprinkler systems get really old and funky smelling. Not fun to get sprayed by that stuff.

And if part of the run is outside, it’ll have anti-freeze in it.

I would assume that with Michael and Dwight working in that office, the sprinklers get frequent use and the water in the pipes wouldn’t be so funky.

It never even occurred to me that the sprinkler thing might have been done on purpose.

It didn’t occur to me either that it might have been done on purpose, but it did to Tahssa, in this post above.

Anyone who thinks it was done on purpose is severely overestimating Michael’s intelligence.

Next week previews are absolutely spoilers. Technically speaking, a spoiler is anything that reveals what is going to happen in a future episode before you watch it. “Open spoilers” means that we are going to openly talk about the episode we just watched, since the content is no longer a spoiler to us, but would be to someone who hasn’t watched yet.

BTW - on most shows, the production staff has absolutely nothing to do with the previews. They’re often edited by the network who airs them. This is why they don’t seem to care about what they spoil.

One of the big reasons I don’t watch previews or commercials. I also can’t stand how over at that OTHER TV message board, all anyone ever wants to talk about for many shows are what was shown in the preview, rather than the episode they just watched. That site’s nothing but whited out text…