The one line that sold you...

The very first line from Twin Peaks:

“She’s dead. Wrapped in plastic.”

What did she say?

In this dirty-minded world, you are either someone’s mother or someone’s whore, or fast on your way to becoming one or the other.

Robin Hood: Men in Tights

[nitpick]
Actually, it’s

“Guys, where ARE we?”

[/nitpick]

What did it for me is another Charlie line earlier in the pilot. After the Tree-Crushing Monster (TCM) does its thing the first time, everyone on the beach stares dumbfounded into the jungle. Charlie says:

“Terrific.”

Blackout

I knew right then I was going to love this show.

I cam in to post from Firefly also, but mine was…

[Mal looks at River in the crate, looks at crew, back at River, back at crew]

“Huh.”

Nothing. It was all nonverbal, which I realize is kind of stretching the premise of the OP, but still.

Hmm… I think it was probably this Toby Ziegler line from The West Wing:

“There’s literally no one in the world that I don’t hate right now.”

Ha! I love that line. But what sold me on the series (having watched “Beef Consomme” on TV and not understanding what all the fuss was about), was Gob’s comments on magic.

GOB: “Illusion,” Michael. A trick is something a whore does for money.
[Michael indicates the crowd of children listening, GOB turns to them with a placating smile]
GOB: . . . or cocaine!

For me, the *Firefly * moment wasn’t a line - it was when Mal rushed aboard, instantly assessed the hostage situation, and shot the cop in the head, like it was a nuisance interfering with the main problem of avoiding the Reavers. Oho, I said to myself, finally a hero who isn’t Lawful Good!

The League of Gentlemen: “Don’t worry Tubs, they won’t get far!”

there isn’t one line that sold me on Buffy, but rather a whole episode - Once More, With Feeling; but one of the lines that, for me, epitomizes the writing of Buffy is

I enjoyed A Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy from the start, but the line that hooked me and made me realize that Douglas Adams was my kind of writer was this one:

“The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don’t.”

Ditto for me too.

My moment with Firefly came much later, I had no idea about this show except some of the rumor found on the Dope. I left the TV on after Stargate one evening and they had Our Dear Mrs. Reynolds, and I thought, the gals are pretty nice, looks okay… I was reading a magazine too. Then Book tells Mal, “… The special hell reserved for child molesters and people who talk at the theatre.” and I was hooked :slight_smile:

From Charles Johnson’s Middle Passage: (paraphrasing) She wed four husbands, in order: a banker, a theater agent, a minister and a mortician, applying to her marital status the sage advice of the axiom, “One for the money, two for the show, three to get ready and four to go.”

That still cracks me up.

Mulder to Scully: “I think its remotely plausible that someone might think you’re hot.”

Hooked.

Like a lot of fans, I had watched The Big Lebowski once and didn’t really appreciate it.

I idly tuned in to it a second time years later, when Karl Hungus & Co. were threatening the Dude, Walter, Donny in the parking lot. KH’s thick German accent as he said “Ve fuck you UP, Lebowski!” suddenly kicked my funny bone in just the right way, and I’ve been hooked ever since. Now any line at all from that movie makes me giggle.

I picked up A Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy in the bookstore, not having heard anything about it, and started reading it right there. What got me was the line about humans still finding digital watches a neat idea. (It’s been a while so I can’t quote it precisely.)

Firefly:

“This is something the Captain needs to do on his own.”
“No it isn’t!!”

Neuromancer:
The sky was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.

Yup.

Say, that reminds me:

From Raising Arizona:

“l’m walkin’ in here on my knees, Ed – a free man, proposin’. Howdy, Curt.”

I know three people named Curt. Everytime I see them, they get a “Howdy, Curt” from me and I laugh a little inside. I wish I knew more Curts.