The one line that sold you...

When you fall in love with a band, a movie, a book, or a television series…if youre like me, there is one single moment when you realize that whatever it is…is amazing. here is an example.

The extended pilot of Arrested Development. When Lucille says, “Look what the homosexuals have done to me now…Everything has to be so dramatic…it makes me want to SET MYSELF ON FIRE” (i didn’t see it on tv but on a friends dvd…now ive seen every episode)

after that I knew I would be obsessed with the show. Does anyone else have one line moments like this? share!

The first episode of Buffy I ever saw was What’s My Line Part 1, wherein Principal Snyder tells Xander that “Whatever comes out of your mouth is a meaningless waste of breath. An airborne toxic event.” I went out and rented the first season later that day, figuring that any alleged teen show that assumed a familiarity with *White Noise * was worth checking out.

For me, one line sold me on a twenty-one book series. In 1970, when I was sixteen, I started working as a lifeguard at a neighborhood pool. One slow day, I rummaged through the drawers of a desk in the office hoping to find a magazine. There were some books, one of which was Darker Than Amber, by John D. MacDonald. At the time, I knew nothing about the author. The first line in the book made me choose it from among several, and introduced me to Travis McGee. Here’s the line:

It was actually the whole episode, but one line that just slayed me from Welcome To The Hellmouth:

Buffy: “Now, we can do this the hard way, or…well, actually, there’s just the
hard way.”

You’re kidding. I guess if I’d actually seen the first episode I’d have become a fan a long time ago, and not be playing catch up now.

On the other hand I watched The Simpson since before they were their own show. But I didn’t completly connect till the Austraila episode…it wasn’t a line…it was Vishnu at the center of the world running things. Ok, the Rand Mcnally bit warmed me up and the fact that the rest of the show was really good helped, but that was the moment that something clicked for me.

Kirk: “Let’s get the hell out of here.”

MST3K

[Deathstalker (about his wizard pal, paraphrased)] “… visiting one village one day, another the next.”
[Mike] “So, two villages then.”

This text is only here to placate VBB.

“This demonstrates the value of not being seen.”

From the opening sketch to Monty Python’s “Now for something completely different”, called How Not to be Seen - it was my first ever exposure, on my 16th birthday party, at the insistance of my father (God bless him), and I literally fell off my chair I was laughing so hard. I fell off my chair on the second viewing as well and have been a hardcore Python fan ever since.

Grim

The Princess Bride

HHGttG (TV Series)

Star Trek IV

After reading the first line (below) I’m ready to gag, these two little kids are going to be Best Friends Forever!
“OMG! Remember when we were six and you beat me to a pulp and then gave me your hand and helped me stand, my brother? I love you man…”
" Ender knew the unspoken rules of manly warfare, even though he was only six. It was forbidden to strike the opponent who lay helpless on the ground, only an animal would do that.

So Ender walked to Stilson’s supine body and kicked him again, viciously, in the ribs."
Enders Game, obviously.

Firefly

“Darn.” [kick]

What kind of dining set defines me as a person?

It’s chock-full of them, but this one in particular stands out as the line which began my long love affair with Fight Club, the movie.

The line from Episode 1 of LOST that everyone is still searching for the answer to:

“Guys, where the hell are we?” - Charlie

“It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.” Plus: “He expressed himself as well as a man violently in love can be expected to.” Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice.

“Emma Woodhouse, handsome, clever, and rich, with a comfortable home and happy disposition seemed to unite some of the best blessings of existence; and had lived nearly twenty-one years in the world with very little to distress or vex her.” Jane Austen, Emma.

“In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God.” John 1:1

This happens to be the first line in Millions…but this was when I fell in love with it.

There’s more to that scene (it’s from Fargo for those that haven’t seen it). She basically nails what happened dead on and really it’s the whole scene i love but I couldnt’ find the whole scene on IMDb and I’m in a bit of a time crunch so I can’t get the movie out and watch it but I thought this would do. At this point I thought to myself, “man I have dearly underestimated Marge Gunderson.”

Best. Comic. Evar.

My Favorite Year

“It was a blonde. A blonde to make a bishop kick a hole in a stained-glass window.”

I read that in a book of quotes (The 637 Best Things Anybody Ever Said, I think).

Since then I’ve read everything by Raymond Chandler at least twice.

That’s what I came in to post.

But also:

Green Wing - the scene where the crazy Scottish woman masturbates the guy in the coma so she can impregnate herself with his child. It has to be seen to be fully appreciated.

Cryptonomicon - The bit with Randy and his girlfriend’s friend where Randy feels like a Tolkein dwarf surrounded by elves.