The Onion Is the Best Vegetable PERIOD!

Onions rock, but they aren’t spuds. Potatoes are meals in themselves. Onions are a condiments, especially for potatoes. Nobody has fried onions with some potatoes thrown in, or mashed onions with some carmelized taters in them, or Onion Tots with Real Potato flavoring. What’s wrong with you? You probably think that a bowl of mustard with a slice of bratwurst on top is soup.

But be careful, Bill. You know what happened the last time you stated a preference on something :slight_smile:

Behold this creature who walks like a man-he wants…aw, you know.

POTATO

Note that the potato pretty much kept the people in Ireland alive until the potato crops failed in 1845 and 1846. Not many veggies can do this – certainly not onions.

From the Idaho Potato Expo on nutrition:

From Spudfacts on nutrition:

Now let’s see what your onion can provide.

Oh, and let’s not forget the importance of Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head in the promotion of the nuclear family.

According to the National Potato Promotion Board, potatoes are vegetables. They may be biased, though.

Oftentimes people group potato with other “starches” like pasta, rice and breads, but I think this is incorrect in this context. Rice is a grain like wheat - and corn, too, Scylla. Pasta and bread are made out of wheat, but I guess a way could be found to make them out of potato - they make potato pancakes. I think the “starches” should be split into grains and vegetables.

Thanks for the backup, Turbo Dog and Muffin. Spuds rule!

What other vegetable has not only a mascot like Mr Potato Head, but also Spuddy Buddy?
Some statistics from the National Potato Promotion Board site:

Hey, I know! Why not start a Pit thread about it? That would work out great!

::Muffin ducks under the table as the food fight breaks out::

While I think the potato is the best plant life to munch on (first only to the tomato then the onion) if you’d like to learn more about potatoes and onions, have at it:

Potato

Onion

By the way, onions are a bulb, potatoes a tuber…and by the description on dictionary.com I would say they both are vegetables.

< where fruits fit in to this, I do not know I guess it has something to do with the family of plants it belongs to. >

I think that this thread only goes to prove that good food is more about careful mixing and matching than some feckless quest for an ubervegetable. Onions are good, potatoes are good, but the same could be said of any one of a thousand ingredients. Only when properly combined and cooked would any of us consider those ingredients a meal. Except for those God-forsaken carrots, vegetable of the damned that they are.

Oh, and techchick, a fruit is defined as the swollen ovary of the plant in question. Puts a whole new spin on the idea, doesn’t it? Have a swollen ovary, er, tomato, I mean.

Yes, I agree. The Onion is a very fine satirical newspaper. That’s what you meant right?

I scoff. The avocado is the ultimate vegetable. Guacamole is the food of the gods.

I hate onions.
I don’t like peppers either. Anything spicy is out for me.
I used to live with a guy who put onions in everything, including salads!
I had to pick thru the food carefully, removing the onions as I ate.

Oh, man, are you nuts! Take three or four nice Vidalias, slice them in half, put them in a roasting pan or glass casserole dish face down, put some butter and honey on them, and roast for 10-15 minutes. Spectacular.

Peta T.'s relatives, who had a farm, have been known to pick up fresh onions, peel the skin, and eat them like an apple. I myself have had lots and lots of sandwiches consisting of little more than two slices of rye, several slices of red onion, and some mayo or cream cheese.

Onions forever!!

Philistine.

Bill is right; onions are the greatest vegetables God has seen fit to create. Take your limited avocado. Guacamole is a fine food, but that’s a one-trick pony. And potatoes are great things, but a potato is really jsut a vehicle for other tastes; the delicious butter-and-sour-cream taste of a baked potato, or to deliver Thanksgiving gravy, or as the base for a big honkin’ bowl of poutine. The onion, however, has its own magnificent taste. Truly, onions are the very peak of the vegetable concept.

I really liek broccoli.

Rickjay and Pld ya’ll are both gentlemen and scholars and have extremely good taste in vegetables.

Vanilla,

Broccoli? Your favorite vegetable? Man, I bet your family doesn’t like to be around you after you eat alot of that stuff. EEEEhhhh smelly.

Why must we pick only ONE vegetable? Just as there is room in my heart for a thousand loves, also is there room in my stomach for a hundred vegetables. (Not all at the same time, though.) I can love a tomato in August and a potato in December and an artichoke in April…and each one is the best vegetable, until I eat the next one. If there’s a vegetable I don’t like, I haven’t found it yet. They are all special & wonderful in their own way. Treat them with respect, pick them fresh & prepare them with care & you will be rewarded.

Let’s stop arguing & share the looooooooove, y’all.

Stella I think you have been listening to too much John Lennon lately. That was just a pipe dream he had when he was stoned on some really good stuff.

ONIONS RULE!!!

Well, its not my favorite.
I also like sweet potatoes.
And corn.
What? Eating broccoli makes you smell? Never happened to me.

WB, I would have to agree, but put potatoes as a CLOSE second. It may be a tie.

But that’s only because cheese is not a vegetable.

Corn is good. You never heard there is nothing worse smelling than a broccoli fart. I don’t know why that is. Hmmm, making that would be a question for the GQ forum. Why Does Broccoli give you such rank smelling farts?(manhattan would just loovvee it) :wink: