The Pit is awesome - it's those Great Debates that suck!

Azael I agree with you, my spiritual experiences don’t serve to verify someone else’s beliefs & can be explained otherwise, even though I don’t find them to be such. Thanks for saying my arguments didn’t suck.

My question for your more reasonable mind - does the efficacy of something prove existence empirically? A placebo often works, with measurable effect, yet it isn’t what people “know” it to be. I thought efficacy of spirituality could be considered proof of existence.

Also, do you agree that knowledge itself is a construct? I remember back in Philo 101 that bit about the blue light on the white wall vs. the blue wall. It seems to me our knowledge was of our experience of blue and not necessarily of the wall itself.

I guess I’m just really skeptical about “knowledge”.

(oops, wasn’t finished)

You’re all so right w/your posts, I really agree.

The thing I treasure about SDMB & reason I’m hooked is that one’s intellect is challenged & pummeled, and that’s not easy to find; I was going to thank my fellow posters in that thread at several points, but then they’d piss me off again.

I guess I did assume we were working towards a consensus in GD & that was somewhat ridiculous of me.

Gotta check out that trainwreck…

I cut my teeth on GD. I still open it up before any other forum, but I don’t participate nearly as much as I used to, largely because of the time factor that Skip mentioned.

There have been some world-class hooraws in GD. Jack Dean Tyler got his wings there, as did ARG and Phaedrus. God, really, the most memorable characters from the past four years have arisen to prominence in GD.

Ah, good times, good times.
Since I’m in the mood, though, I’d just like to state for the record that I miss the hell out of Dr. Fidelius.

So are most empiricists. :wink:

Interesting question. I would say that the efficacy of something can lend support for the existance of an “effect.” In this case, the “effect” of believing something. The fact that it doesn’t seem to matter much what that belief is except that it must inspire some level of confidence is telling IMO. That which is “believed” is not necessarily true or proven, it is entirely subjective. On the other hand the effect of that belief can have limited objective results, but that only tells us about how personal outlook can contribute to our physical and mental condition. That’s my take anyway, YMMV.

I agree. But this is the very reason why I find the empirical or (at the very least) critical approach to gaining knowledge so useful.

I must be weird again. When I first joined up, GD was my favorite forum and it still is. The standards are tougher there than anywhere else on this board, but I have learned a tremendous amount, and I look forward to continuing to do so. I’d say it’s the equivalent of single-malt scotch whiskey or five alarm chili – it’s too strong for a lot of people, but for those of us who love it, everything else can seem a bit bland at times. Of course this is coming from someone who’s still a bit skeptical about garlic.

CJ

When I first started poking around in The Pit I expected just a bunch of flaming. I actually found some reasonable discussion and debate. Now The Pit is my second SDMB home. GD is my homepage.

I still often feel obliged to use fuck, shit and spammer when in The Pit even though I fully realize that they are optional.

Fuck off.

Shut up.

Drop dead.

I’ll have to agree with Siege I spent my first year here never leaving Great Debates, but posting there *is * a time drain, so now I cruise, but GD is always the first stop.

Hey when did pass 1500 for the second time? Oh, and shit monkeyfuck piss.

Spammer.

I’ve always thought (and posted a few times) that GD was way harder on a poster than the Pit. In the Pit people rant about things that make them angry. In GD people tear apart some of your strongest and dearly held beliefs to shreds-- with cites.

Also, we eat babies. Bwahahahahahaha!

Oh, now that really hurts. That’s just cruel and inhuman. In reference to other threads, I don’t mind if you call me a c*** or a f** or a b***der, but not a spammer. I’m leaving and NEVER posting here again.

Obviously a partisan belief. Can we get a cite for that, please?

Or is this purely anecdotal? :stuck_out_tongue:

Never.

Don’t forget the puppy kicking and nun molesting.

(Damn I wish I could find that Bloom County where Opus calls into Donahue.)

I haven’t had much time of late to get my dope fix in any forum, but hands down, the Pit is the place I love here at the SDMB. That doesn’t mean that I don’t love and appreciate the other fora, including GD, it’s just that I’ve done so much more in the Pit. I’ve laughed, cried, giggled, tried to comfort folks, cussed out folks, gotten virtually married in here, flirted, been flirted with, baked virtual pies and cakes and stuff, and, oh yes, ranted. :smiley: It’s one-stop shopping here, and there’s something for everyone. Never a dull moment, I say. I do like GD, but I don’t have the time to keep up with it as much as I’d like to, and I’m constantly amazed at the regular GDers. How do they keep posting so much there? Do they not sleep or have jobs or something? :confused:

Me. Open wide. :smiley: