The Price of Owning Vehicle That Supports Terrorists

Last time we had snow or ice that stuck I took to my bicycle-- and ended up spinning cars and SUVs like tops so the owners could give up and go back down the hills :wink:

But whaddaya expect when everyone uses all-seasons tires?

My problem usually is not with the SUV but with it’s driver. Most made the transition from driving a car to driving a large heavy truck without any alteration to their driving style. They still whip back and forth between lanes, brake late and pull right in front of you without regard to the fact they’re cutting off the sight line of all behind them. As the driver of a small car, for years this used to piss me off. Their SUV’s mass enboldened them and their callous disregard for the safety of those in smaller vehicles was downright disturbing.

For this reason, I just bought one. I think I’ve got to be in the upper percentages of safe drivers on the road now. I still drive with a smaller car attitude, don’t speed and am considerate in my lane changes. Hell, I actually even use my signal! But, I also know that my family is safe from the asshole drivers out there in cars both large and small.

We drove to Colorado through a tremendous snowstorm a couple of months ago in a little Taurus. We easily saw 90 to 100 cars in ditches along the way. I’d guess at least 80% were SUVs. We also saw the aftermath of a SUV/car collision. The car lost. We made the trip without incident because we remained cautious and weren’t swayed by a false sense of security.

I’m sorry I have to drive something large to be safe. I try and do so economically and with consideration for all. I blame Detroit. They need to get off their ass and incorporate safety, utility and environmental respect into their products. I find it hard to believe a vehicle can’t be constructed that those on both sides of the issue wouldn’t embrace.

Is this the scheduled time for an SUV driver to say they get 35 MPG in their SUV? Or are we totally throwing out the timetable for this one?

If they’re transporting twice as many occupants and getting 17.5, then figuratively yes. :slight_smile:

I used to be notorious in my previous state of residence for going out in my cute little Subaru Impreza sports car in surprise or large snowfalls, and making lots of cash pulling stuck SUV’s out of snowbanks, ditches, off curbs… you name it.

Prices: SUV’s $50 and the pleasure of watching a little sports car yank their massive vehicle clear without sliding at all.
Other cars: Free if you ask nice.

Police cars got a freebie too, even though I never had to call in the favors. =)

Just goes to show you that AWD + really good snow tires (Nokian Hakkapellita Q) is fun for all.

It’s funny reading about Americans talking about needing an SUV/Truck for winter driving. It’s not the vehicle, it’s the tires that make the difference…unless you’re driving a vehicle with more than 4 tires :smiley:

My friend crashed his BRAND NEW WRX this winter…$3K damage. AWD does not mean “I can steer as if I’m on rails”. Your truck doesn’t do anything to allow you to drive better than my Matrix (ok, so it’s not a car) with my Blizzak LM-22s.

180 HP FWD and I still smoke any 4WD / AWD in braking and turning (but not accelleration of course) on snow and ice. I tried playing in a snowy parking lot (with my friend’s WRX and I making a “track”). While he always over-steered, I had to pull my hand brake to loose control. I could take corners better than him because as he accellerated, his AWD slipped all four tires, causing him to oversteer. My FWD caused me to understeer but because I could control that with my hand brake, I could do a lap better than him.

WRX 5 speed 227 HP - $45,000 Canadian

Matrix XRS 6 Speed 180 HP - $33,333 Canadian

Snow tires - $1300 Canadian

Watching a $45K car unable to beat a $34K car in the snow - Priceless.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :smiley: