"The Princess Bride" thread

I stand humbled as well at being sucked by a literary device, even one as clever as “only the good parts”.

And so with that we bid adieu to another bit of Glitch’s ignorance. God/Allah/Glowing Racoons/Gaia/nothing bless the SDMB.

Make that suckered, not sucked. Boy, I need to get to remedial typing 101. I have been making a lot of typos lately.

What a great movie, " Thre’s not going to be any kissing in this?"

You want brilliance BEFORE I’ve had my coffee!!!

Yes, you’re a very cleaver boy. Now shut up.

Oh, MAN! This is my favorite movie of all time. The subtlety of the humor is hard to find elsewhere.

“I’m not a witch, I’m your wife! And after what you just said, I’m not even sure I want to be that anymore!!”

I loved the parts in the book where they talked about things (like divorce maybe? I don’t know, I read it about 9 years ago) that hadn’t been invented yet. Hee!

Sucks to your assmar.

Are you saying that divorce had not been invented at that time? I am fairly sure that divorce has been around since about the time of Moses, though not necessarily called that. Maybe that is what you meant.

Adding to an earlier post, when Wesley continues to talk about his potential plan and says "If we only had an Armagedon Cloak (or whatever it is called) and Inigo says “Sorry can’t help you there.” And Fessik says, “Will this do?” And then he formulates his plan.

It is indeed a cool movie.

Viper

OK now ya did it… I am heading out to rent the video… again… maybe I should just purchase it. after all, I am the one who checks it out the most at my video store. I love this movie!

“Only when he no longer knows what he is doing, does the painter do good
things.” --Edgar Degas

I know most of these are misquoted, but I love this movie! Thanks for the thread, Glitch.

“Is this a kissing book?”

“I’m not a witch, I’m your wife! But after what I just heard, I don’t think I want to be that anymore!”

“True love is the best thing on earth, after an MLT…Mutton, lettuce, and tomato sandwich, when the mutton is nice and lean…”

“What key? I have no key.”
“Fezzik, tear his arms off.”
“Oh, you mean this key.”

“Have you ever considered piracy? You’d make a great Dread Pirate Roberts.”

“Then there will be no one to hear you scream.”

“…never get involved in a land war in Asia…”

“Inconceivable!”

“Hello, lady.”

“Oh, my poor sweet Wesley, what have I done?”

“[raspy]The Pit…of Despair! Don’t even think” cough, hack, cough, “[normal] Don’t even think about trying to escape.”

“Fezzik, where did we put the wheelbarrow the albino had?”
“Over the albino, I think.”

“Excuse me…pardon me…can I get through?..Fezzik?”
“Everybody MOVE!!”

“Fezzik, is that you?”
“True.”

“You mean I’ll put down my sword, and you’ll put down your rock, and we’ll try and kill each other like civilized people?”

“It’s not my fault I’m the strongest. I don’t even work out.”

“Fezzik, you thought for yourself.”

“I want my father back, you son of a bitch.”

“That is the sound of ultimate human suffering. My heart made that sound when the six fingered man killed my father. The man in black makes it now.”

“To the PAIN!”

“What was that for?”
“Because you have always been so kind to me, and I won’t be seeing you again since I’m killing myself once we reach the honeymoon suite.”
“Won’t that be nice. She kissed me!”

“Death cannot stop true love. All it can do is delay it for a while.”

“Life is pain! Anyone who says differently is selling something.”

“No! Your ears you’ll keep, and I’ll tell you why. So that every shriek is yours to cherish. So that every babe that cries at your approach, every mother that says, ‘Dear God, what is that THING?’ shall echo in your perfect ears.”

And, of course, “As you wish.”

“We awah gahwed hewah today…”

The overwhelming majority of people have more than the average (mean) number of legs. – E. Grebenik

Clearly, we have a lot of fans of the movie here and, in fact, I can’t think of a person I know who has ever told me they hated or even disliked the movie. Most either like it or love it. So, what is it about “The Princess Bride” that seems to be so universally appealing?

Personally, I think it is because it is the perfect everything movie. It has some action, comedy, romance & drama (mayhap melodrama).

I LOVE this movie!

I liked the back stories in the book on Inigo and Fezzik, but I don’t think they would’ve worked well in the movie.

I love the part when Inigo finds the Count and he turned and ran.
I also liked the way Inigo and Fezzik got into the pit of despair in the book.

White Wolf

“Friends come and go, but enemies accumulate.”

I think the main reason the movie works so well is because William Goldman the author is a Screenwriter by trade. He adapted his own book, and Rob Reiner was the absolute ideal Director for it - it was simply done right.

The only complaint I have is that the theme music is beautiful, but the lyrics written for the song are terrible.

My favourite lines have all been quoted already, but I loooove it where Vizzini is trying to double bluff Wesley during the poisoned cups scene. “So clearly I cannot drink the wine in front of you.” It has the second best death scene in movie history.

:slight_smile:

Cary Elwes should do more comedy! He’s a scream in Men in Tights!

-PIGEONMAN-
Hero For A New Millennium!

The Legend Of PigeonMan - updates every Wed & Sat

“Probably some local fisherman out for a pleasure cruise at night, through eel infested waters.”

“Then I’m here til I die?”
“Til they kill you, yeah.”

“We’ll never survive.”
“Nonsense! You’re only saying that because no one ever has.”

“While you’re at, it why don’t you give me a nice paper cut and pour lemon juice on it?”

“INCONCEIVABLE!”

Universally Appealing?

Pirates.
True love.
Sword fights.
Avenging your dead father.
Pack of misfits overcoming the establishment.

What’s not to love.

I had an author once, an Australian, who flew over to New York to see me back in 1988 or so. The movie on all four of his separate flights was THE PRINCESS BRIDE.

HE hated it.

Uke

I was laughing, while reading the quotes. I think it’s time for me to get the video out and watch it again.

Princess Buttercup: We’ll never survive!
Westley: Nonsense! You’re only saying that because no one ever has!

I always want to tell my daughter “Have fun stormin’ the castle.” when she leaves for school. It’ll probably only be a couple more years before she gets it.

–Gail
“Predictable, really I suppose. It was an act of purest optimism to have posed the question in the first place.” --John Cleese

I remembered another.

When the albino is healing Wesley and he asks what is it going to be. The albino tells him torture. Wesley says “Torture, I can handle that.” And the albino shakes his head.

Viper

How much do I love this movie? Enough that I named my cat “Inigo” after the Spanish acrobatic swordsman from the film. (And B_Line, I have encountered the same name confusion with him–the vet office often calls him “Indigo.”) My friends joke he’s looking for a tomcat with six claws on his right paw.

Aw, man, favorite lines? How can I begin to fit them all here? Well, here we go…and here’s hoping I didn’t repeat anything:

“I do not think him is what you think him is.”

“Mawidge…Mawidge is what bwings us togethaw today. Mawidge, that bwessed awangement; that dweam, within a dweam…And do you, Pwincess Buthhercwawp…”

“I do not envy you the headache you will have when you awake. But in the meantime, rest well, and dream of large women.”

“As…you…wish!” “Oh, my sweet Wesley!” (hurling body down slope) “Ugh! Ah! Ee! Ergh!”

“Let me es-plain. No, no, that will take too much time. Let me sum up.”

“A-HA-HA you FOOL! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia. But only slightly less famous is this: Never get involved with a Sicilian when death is on the line!”

Westley: “Aha! Your pig fiance? is too late! A few more steps and we’ll be safe in the fire swamp.”
Buttercup: “We’ll never survive.”
Westley: “Nonsense! You’re only saying that because no one ever has.”

“Bow to her. Bow to the Queen of Slime, the Queen of Filth, the Queen of putrescence! Boo! Boo! Rubbish! Filth! Slime! Muck! Boo! Boo! Boo!”

King: “What was that for?” [Buttercup kissed him on the forehead]
Buttercup: “Because you’ve always been so kind to me, and I won’t be seeing you again since I’m killing myself once we reach the honeymoon suite.”
King: “Won’t that be nice…She kissed me!”

“There’s a shortage of perfect breasts in this world. It would be a pity to damage yours.”

Now I must confess I cheated. At this site there are several Princess Bride wavs–and a link to the entire script. :slight_smile:

I used to think the world was against me. Now I know better. Some of the smaller countries are neutral.

Laura’s Stuff and Things

The other movie that I own!

“As you wish.” (I say this a whole lot, in fact.)

“You’ve been mostly dead, all day.”

“You keep using that word. I don’t think it means what you think it means.”

“I swear, it will be done.”

“I’ve seen worse.”

“Let me explain. No, There is too much. Let me sum up.” (I use this one a lot, too.)
<p align=“center”>Tris</p>

All of my favorite lines have been said here already. So I’ll just throw in that I LOVE THIS MOVIE, and leave it at that.

Have a nice day. :slight_smile: