The pros and cons of buying Costco mayonnaise

I was surfing YouTube videos and I came across this one:

Here are the 8 food items you should only get from Costco - posted by Business Insider (May 19, 2016)

Item #3 on the list: Condiments - they specifically mention mayonnaise as something you should only get at Costco

And that one, unsurprisingly, had a direct link to this one:

Don’t buy these items from Costco - posted by Business Insider (Sep 23, 2016)

Item #2 on the list: Condiments - they specifically mention mayonnaise as something you shouldn’t buy at Costco

Seriously, guys, do you expect us to watch your click-bait when you aren’t?

Unless you are feeding a family of 10, who uses mayo fast enough to justify that? You’re supposed to throw mayo out 2-4 months after opening it.

I’m pretty sure our family of four went through our Costco mayo within 4 months. At any rate, it didn’t go bad. I bought it last year on a recommendation here, and it’s great mayo, but I haven’t had a chance to go back and restock. I buy a normal sized jar (about 32 fl oz) of Hellman’s every three weeks or so. The Costco jar is 64 oz, so, yeah, well within 4 months to finish.

Cite? Maybe homemade. You don’t even have to refrigerate mayonnaise.

If you are using large amounts of mayo for certain other things, the jumbo super-economy sized is the way to go.

As for gambling on actually eating all the mayo before it goes bad, no. Don’t do it. I’d never bet on mayo anyway. It’s nearly impossible to beat the spread.

The 32-oz quart of mayonnaise has been replaced by the 30-oz “quart.” It began several years ago, with the major producers (Kraft, Best Foods/Hellman’s), and the store brands followed suit when it became apparent thag they weere going to get away with it.

throws potato salad at Biotop

Seems like the “don’t buy” advice was almost entirely based on “you won’t use it up before it goes bad.” But that’s a decision for each individual consumer to make. I bought one of their gallon-size “Mediterranean oil” jugs (not recommended, according to the second video), and it is nearly all I use for fat - I bake bread with it, use it in marinades, scramble eggs in it, saute potatoes in it, and on and on. I expect to finish it before it goes rancid, no problem. But that’s me; another person might not go through it so fast (it helps that I’ve been feeding 2 hungry teenagers for the past three weeks while my son and his girlfriend visit).

The bottom line is, no single list is going to be right for everyone.

I’ll admit to what I thought would be obvious: I posted this thread to amuse people not to provoke a genuine debate on the topic of buying mayonnaise.

I’m sure what happened as some video crew was given a deadline to fill a short video with some content and they grabbed the first set of factoids they could find.

But if I were discussing this issue seriously (which I guess I now am) I’d argue that the contradiction remains even when you take the supposed different standards used into account. Because the first video advises viewers to buy products from Costco because the price per unit is cheaper while the second video warns viewers that buying large quantities of products can be a bad idea because you won’t have a chance to use the entire product before it goes bad. But the two standards are really the same thing; the reason Costco has the lowest price per unit is because it sells its products in large quantities. You get a better price per ounce if you buy a hundred ounce container than you do if you buy a twenty ounce one. But you lose money if you end up paying for eighty ounces you don’t use. As you note, people should figure out what their particular needs are and shop accordingly.

Why bother? It’s easy to make it yourself. Egg yolk plus oil of your choice, a bit of mustard, pepper, and salt. Then add flavourings if required (mustard, garlic, etc).

Anybody ever done a taste tgest side-by-side of supermarket mayos? Betcha can’t tell the difference. And they all bad for you, by trivial degrees of variance.

And they do last safely forever, opened, without refrigeration. When camping, Ive eaten mayo left in the car for a year.

So buy the cheapest and forget about it.

http://shelflifeadvice.com/content/how-long-should-jar-mayonnaise-be-kept-once-it’s-been-opened-0

Oh, I betcha we can. Some are eggier than others; their consistency is different; their degree of tartness; etc.

Nah, it’s still a pain in the ass, especially if doing by hand. And it doesn’t last very long. And it doesn’t taste anything like the commercial stuff (which can be good or bad, depending on your tastes. I like both commercial and homemade mayo, but on a sandwich, I want commercial mayonnaise 95% of the time). So, for when I want to make a sandwich on a whim for lunch, I want to reach for the jar of mayo and dirty one utensil (a knife), instead of whipping up a batch of mayonnaise.

You know what’s easier than that? Buying a jar of premade at the store.

I made a delicious aioli the other night as part of our dinner. It was so delicious, my gf asked for more, but I’d only made enough to garnish our entrees.

And yeah, fresh made mayonnaise is fun and easy to make. I used it as a learning experience when my kids were little to explain about emulsions.

Pro: Great Value!

Con: Need a dolly to wheel it to the car

Dude, it’s the equivalent of 2-ish standard mayonnaise jars. Pretty sure you can carry it without any issue. I know you’re making a joke at the giant quantities Costco sells, but their mayo is a reasonable quantity.

Obviously, you never went in the back where they store the drums. :smiley:

It’s relatively easy to make. But if all you want is to make a tuna fish sandwich, do you really want to have to whip up a home-made batch of mayonnaise for it? I’m sure the sandwich would be better if I baked a fresh loaf of bread for it too but sometimes you just want quick convenience.