The Republican War on Voting Thread

Way cool!
Can you post or PM me a link that tells how you do that? I also subscribe and may want to share some links with the board in the future.

Sure, it’s easy.

When you open the article, you will see a new icon to the right of the byline - a gift box- next to the other icons for sharing and bookmarking. Just click the icon and follow the instructions to create the link.

It really is a great feature. I always try to find free sources for straight-up news articles, but some of their editorials and investigative pieces are exclusive.

That’s quite the vicious circle Republicans have constructed for themselves with black voters.

I just wanted to add that -now that I’m looking for it- the NYT has the same policy on gifting articles and it works the same way.

This New Yorker article, The Big Money Behind the Big Lie, came out last August, and even if it was posted/disciussed here back then, well then dammit I’m a gonna get all tl;dr about this anyway, and cite as many salient points as I can, in case anyone has paywall issues.

I think every human being should take this shit in, to know precisely what shit wheels are grinding away to make things even shittier.

This niggles at me and makes me wonder how bullshit-like the Cyber Ninnies’ results will be (if they ever get around to barfing them out, that is) and to what degree would such egregious horseshit stick amongst a certain ignorant electorate?

I dig the bolded - interesting POV, there, with its own warped sense.

Um, “True the Vote”? How fucking Neanderthal-sounding is a name like that? (ok sure, my commentary isn’t exactly on the erudite side, either, possibly. Oh wells)

And really, I could’ve cited on and on about aaaaww cheek-sqeezable John Eastman*, former flunkie Trump lawyer and co-author of “The Seditionist’s Handbook”, and, along with Trump, tried to persuade Vice-President Mike Pence to halt the certification of the Electoral College vote; or, two other Public Interest Legal Foundation lawyers — its president, Christian Adams, and another board member, Hans von Spakovsky — of the stupid 2017 Presidential commission on election integrity that antagonistically imploded within months; or, ALEC CEO Lisa Nelson’s boner-on for Trump; or, the Public Interest Legal Foundation’s president saying “Be not afraid of the accusations that you’re a voter suppressor, you’re a racist, and so forth.”; or, the Rally Forge / Turning Point social media misinformation frenzy; or, more Heritage Foundation shenanigans; or, the fucking ridiculous Honest Elections Project, the group tied to Leonard Leo, of the Federalist Society; or, Karen Fann, the Arizona Senate’s president, confiding that she knew there was “nothing to” the fraud charges but still subpoened for the county’s ballots for the forensic audit; or finally, Heritage Foundation off-shoot Heritage Action’s plans to spend twenty-four million dollars mobilizing supporters and lobbyists who will promote “election integrity,” starting in eight battleground states, including Arizona.

Hooboy yeah late for work now. :laughing:

*Love how this opens: “Eastman, who recently retired, under pressure, from Chapman University, and was stripped of his public duties at another post that he held, at the University of Colorado Boulder, told me he still believes that the election was stolen, and thinks that the audits in Arizona and other states will help prove it. The Bradley Foundation declined to comment on him, or on Mitchell, when asked about its role in funding their activities.”

Um, I think you missed the announcement:

Not officially announced yet. 1pm today, I believe (AZ time, I assume).

There was really no other outcome, and there was no way to take seriously any claim to the contrary. The efforts in Arizona failed because Republicans probably assumed they would win, but more than that, they didn’t have an apparatus in place to manipulate the results.

But as the article that @Guest-starring_Id linked to describes, all of that has changed. The article refers to the ability of election officials to manipulate the results and control whether an election gets certified or not. The law professor interviewed in the article has described the exact same fears I have.

It’s not just one tactic we’re dealing with; the GOP has opened up a multi-front war on liberal democratic elections, starting with even more partisan gerrymandering which will likely result in Republican control of Congress next year. I truly believe the only thing that can stop the illiberal Republican machine is COVID killing Republican voters, or killing so many of their beloved that maybe just enough of them have a change of worldview. But there’s no indication that we’re there yet.

As long as those dead voters are registered, their votes will count! Twice, to make up for the tragedy of their loss.

This might be the money quote of the entire article - it’s about the dark money and how high-powered interests really and truly have destroyed American democracy, perhaps irreparably, since Citizens United decision.

Or they’ll just remove a shit ton of “inactive” Democratic voters from the list of eligible voters. Hyper-partisan election officials will probably put that close to the top of the agenda. So if someone skips an election or two but then decides they want to vote for the next Barack Obama, they’ll show up and be forced to sign provisional ballots. What’s the likelihood of those provisional ballots being counted by partisan hacks? The Big Lie failed because everything about the election process was clean through election night; they tried to lie about mountains of facts, which didn’t work. The strategy going forward is going to be to muddy the waters as the votes come in. I had feared that the Republicans would try to wink and nod at Russian hackers to access voting databases and machines but it appears that this never happened. Instead the Republicans have probably constructed a far more sophisticated democracy-killing machine, and like everything else, it involves wounding democracy first at the local and state level.

Tangential to that, I fully expect more of this: Crystal Mason's voting conviction under review by Texas court | The Texas Tribune

Those new restrictions on things like handing out water to voters standing in line and limiting the number of people you can drive to the polls - they’re not just ways to limit voting; Red State AGs will prosecute people of color just to send the message to these communities: vote, and you might end up in prison.

“Never give up. Never surrender!”

They’ll never admit an election loss in the future. Any negative outcome is the result of Democratic cheating and that’s why the sentiment for seizing power undemocratically is growing in support.

I’m trying to figure something out here…

Apparently the Texas AG has announced an audit of the 2020 Presidential election in four Texas counties (Dallas, Collin, Tarrant and Harris), two of which went FOR Trump in 2020, and in a state that went for Trump in 2020.

Even if the Angry Creamsicle himself called for the audits, what is the point? What do they hope to gain? I mean, he DIDN’T lose in Texas, and didn’t lose in two out of the four counties he called for audits in.

Texas secretary of state’s office auditing elections in four counties | The Texas Tribune

Let’s see…well, they could see if anyone who voted for Democrats violated voting laws and then prosecute them. That way, word gets around in these communities: Don’t vote, boy.

In the short term, the Texas Secretary of State (not AG) announced the audit because Trump demanded that Abbott add election audits to the agenda for the special legislative session currently underway. The goal is to placate him without having to adopt legislation, which would be divisive even within the Texas Republican caucus.

Larger picture, this is part of the plan to normalize election audits so that when they DO need to overturn a result people have come to accept the validity of such audits. And that such audits only seem to be necessary in heavily Democratic urban counties or suburban counties that are trending that way. Notice no Republicans are demanding an audit of Roberts County, population 938, that went 96% for Trump.

You pretty much summed it right up with the above

This.

And also just to keep trumpy’s name and orange face in the news and to show he still pulls the strings.

:man_facepalming:
Um, yeah, I have no clue how that one got by. Brutal.

This is the most in-depth article I’ve yet seen about the Mesa County Dominion breach; everyone should be made aware of this* IMO:

Over the course of the past month, in a lawsuit filed by the state’s top elections official, Peters and her deputy have been accused of sneaking someone into the county elections offices to copy the hard drives of Dominion Voting Systems machines. Those copies later surfaced online and in the hands of election deniers. The local district attorney, state prosecutors and the FBI are investigating whether criminal charges are warranted.

*This is the first time I’ve used the “Gift” link; I hope it works and everyone can access the full article.

Seems rather close to a violation of the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act; it’s a question of whether feds would have jurisdiction of what would surely be argued as an intra-state case. Colorado may have its own laws that deal with this, though. And there’s the matter of whether it violates election laws - not sure how, honestly.